Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't look as nice then.
I would just tag the section with a note naming the preferred version. Then when I look at that passage in any I could quickly flick to the preferred version.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Unix said:
Those were just translations contained in that specific book, of which I don't use NRSV at all (perhaps I will a bit for Gn) and NJB very little (basically only for 1 Jn and a tiny bit for Mt).
I get a sense of comparing apples and oranges then

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The reader is going to wear out. Future proofing the text is somewhat of an issue still.

On the other hand most out-of-copyright texts can be obtained freely or at a token cost, and bible software can link connected texts for you, provide powerful search functions, etc. Ebooks that are copyrighted are often a bit cheaper than the print edition.

Adding notes and highlights is easy, and tracking those is way easier. Future proofing them is an issue.

e-sword is a really good program for customizing your electronic bibles and commentaries. And there are a lot of catholic modules for it too, including the haydock. If there was a way to get my esword programs into a portable reader like a kindle I would be really happy!

Bibles

Douay Rheims (DRB)
Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (RSVCE) (Fixed!)
New American Bible (NAB) - Note: Provided as an educational reference only.
New Jerusalem (NJB)
Latin Vulgate
Greek Septuagint (LXX)
King James 1611 - Authorized Version (KJVA) Note: Original King James 1611 with deuterocanon. Provided as a reference only.
The Jerusalem Bible 1966 (JB or TJB) - Currently unavailable. If you have this file please send it to me and I will post it here.

Commentaries

Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary
Cornelius a Lapide's Commentary
Catena Aurea Commentary on the Four Gospels by Saint Thomas Aquinas

Dictionary Modules

Popes (222KB)
Saints (501KB)
Catholic Doctrinal Concordance (36KB)
Catechism of the Catholic Church Index (154KB)
Glossary for the Catechism of the Catholic Church (65KB)
Biblical Nature of the Mass (16KB)
Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture - Dom Bernard Orchard (1MB)
Heresies (27KB)
1909 Catholic Dictionary (5MB)
1909 Catholic Encyclopedia (47MB)
Catholic Prayers (300KB)
Latin to English Dictionary v1.97 (1MB)
OT Prophecies Concerning Christ (8KB)

External Links

http://e-sword-users.org/
e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I used to use pocket e-sword a lot when I used a Dell Axim, but now I'm on an iPhone as mobile device that's out.
Note that some of the above modules are copyrighted material that has been pirated. CF might object to you posting it here. Eg NJB - which annoyingly one cannot buy electronically here but you can in the states.

I use all of:
Logos
Olivetree
Laridian
Pocket Sword
Kindle (App)
iBooks (as a generic epub reader)
iPieta
Goodreader (as a generic pdf reader)
dotepub and Web to PDF to save web pages (eg Vatican documents) to Goodreader or iBooks.
- and the web, of course

Between that lot I've got all of the above except the NJB, and a heap more of course.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't say that a phone is superiour regarding that aspect either. Printed matter is as unlimitted: if I run out of material to read, I just buy another book, which there are thousands to be considered just within the subject of Christianity. If I don't use the phone that much, I don't need to carry the charger with me. I live in a somewhat cold climate, if it's really cold the battery of the phone doesn't work well. Books are highly readable when it's really cold as long as You don't drop them in the snow. If I carry a phone and go between very cold damp areas and warm areas, condensation builds up and damages the phone. I've also experienced that palm sweat can quickly and severly damage the phone, the only damage it does to books is to the cover (if it's not covered by plastic foil) and to the edges of the pages.
it's the difference between a few carefully chosen texts in a book, and a vast library accessed through a phone I would have to carry anyway.
I don't understand what You mean here by comparing apples and oranges.
Those were just translations contained in that specific book, of which I don't use NRSV at all (perhaps I will a bit for Gn) and NJB very little (basically only for 1 Jn and a tiny bit for Mt).
I get a sense of comparing apples and oranges then
I really can't figure out how You mean that would be equivalent! To me, clicking to jump around doesn't give the same feel at all, as does moving Your focus and looking at different printed translations. I can have all the Bibles on the desk, open. To do the same with electronical devices I can't read by moving my focal point but would have to click. Besides, to constantly look at the abrevations of different versions, would also be be tiresome.
I would just tag the section with a note naming the preferred version. Then when I look at that passage in any I could quickly flick to the preferred version.
Doesn't look as nice then.
That's a matter of taste.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Unix said:
I wouldn't say that a phone is superiour regarding that aspect either. Printed matter is as unlimitted: if I run out of material to read, I just buy another book, which there are thousands to be considered just within the subject of Christianity. If I don't use the phone that much, I don't need to carry the charger with me. I live in a somewhat cold climate, if it's really cold the battery of the phone doesn't work well. Books are highly readable when it's really cold as long as You don't drop them in the snow. If I carry a phone and go between very cold damp areas and warm areas, condensation builds up and damages the phone. I've also experienced that palm sweat can quickly and severly damage the phone, the only damage it does to books is to the cover (if it's not covered by plastic foil) and to the edges of the pages.
I don't understand what You mean here by comparing apples and oranges.

I really can't figure out how You mean that would be equivalent! To me, clicking to jump around doesn't give the same feel at all, as does moving Your focus and looking at different printed translations. I can have all the Bibles on the desk, open. To do the same with electronical devices I can't read by moving my focal point but would have to click. Besides, to constantly look at the abrevations of different versions, would also be be tiresome.

You can carry the book you are reading at the moment, (assuming its a modest volume). You can't carry a whole reference library in print.

Much org your argument amounts to no more than "this is how I'm used to having to work, I've adapted to this and don't wish to adapt to another". That's fine.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I can and do carry a whole reference library.
You can carry the book you are reading at the moment, (assuming its a modest volume). You can't carry a whole reference library in print.
To me, it's unethical to have much electronics, when knowing for example how tin is produced, and I'm not interested to tire my eyes by looking at a display all the time. This is how I'm used to having worked since last summer. Before that I didn't read any books, only used internet. For the first time in my life I have sufficient books and read often.
Much of your argument amounts to no more than "this is how I'm used to having to work, I've adapted to this and don't wish to adapt to another". That's fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Happy Lent!

I have a lot on such subjects as the Resurrection and awaiting the Resurrection with Mary and the disciples, Ethics, Contemporary subjects, parts of poems. I don't have verse-for-verse or even chapter-for-chapter for the whole Bible, especially not the OT and all of the Apocrypha.
I have some Catholic Apologetics, NT concordance, NT references to Dead Sea Scrolls and Hellenistic Jewish Authors and Targums and Rabbinic Literature and Jas references to Other Ancient Literature and references to Early Christian Literature and to OT Pseudepigrapha.

If you can, then you must have a very different idea to me of what constitutes a whole reference library.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Anyone more with opinions about Practical commentaries?

There's a new thread on CAF where there might come interesting replies soon on this topic, check it out: http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=9035088&postcount=8
"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.
Thank God for that .

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Now they are suggesting the Sacra Pagina -series in that thread (without saying which volume, though).

Well the Berit Olam -series, is a "simplified" - if You could call it that - version of Sacra Pagina.
There's a new thread on CAF where there might come interesting replies soon on this topic, check it out: Catholic Answers Forums - View Single Post - Advanced Scripture Study?
That isn't practical at all.
If you are reading the daily Mass readings, you can find video commentaries on the USCCB website.
The notes-apparatus of a version might be good and the Bible text bad, and vice versa, so You CAN end up with having to carry two Bibles or more. So the fact that study notes are included in many Bibles, doesn't help as much as it seems.
There are many study bibles--Little Rock Scripture Study just came out with one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm not THAT interested in the Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Greek, but I was glancing:
Original Languages Library (JG) - Logos Bible Software
... which would need to be supplemented with the Catechism $10, and 1992 Good News Translation $10, a total of $435. (The other base-packages include Bibles which I don't want to support (Home & Bible Study) and sermons-or-something-like-that that I don't want my money to go to (Home).) As long as I am working in the Christian elementary school, I get to borrow a fast laptop with good screen and large keyboard and 4GB RAM. If I would install the software it might help my motivation to keep working in that job.

Here's some more good practical commentaries I recommend, printed or if You have the software anyway: as electronic, except that some of them are thick but those are by very good/renowned authors (Bauckham) or on very important books of the Bible (1 Pt):
Craig Morrison: 2 Samuel (Berit Olam -series), Liturgical Press, ~June 30. 2012
Phillip McFadyen: Open Door on Mark, Triangle, 1997 142 pages
Paul Achtemeier: 1 Peter (Hermeneia -series), Fortress Press, 1996 423 pages, verse-by-verse
Why would q come into it in a volume on Mark? There is a very brief discussion on dates, authorship and sources in the intro as you would find in any commentary, but the focus of the commentary is on Mark as a cohesive literary piece. Not that there's any real doubt about that with Mark anyway.

the catechism references are there to follow up when one wants to and not when one doesn't. They don't detract from the volume even if they arent of interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well as part of the theology degree I'm wanting to do they highly suggest doing exegesis courses in the original languages. But also I've sort of started to learn and read in the original languages and it's brilliant getting into the scriptures in this way in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the word is the best free software for studying of the bible that I have found so far. you might have to browse their forums to find some things you can add to it, you can add all kinds of books to it. it is not perfect but it is really good.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible commentaries we use in Grad school scripture classes the most at Ave Maria University are the Ignatius Catholic Study bible commentaries. They are 100% orthodox.

http://www.amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506

Amazon.com: Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: Book of Genesis (9781586174330): Scott Hahn, Curtis Mitch: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Exodus-Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible/dp/1586176153/ref=pd_sim_b_3

My scripture professor Dr. Twellman helped write some of the commentary and I highly recommend it over almost all modern commentaries.

Here are a list of other faithful modern Catholic Scripture scholars that my professors says you can trust to be faithful to the Churches teaching.

Scott Hahn or Curtis Mitch or Steve Ray or Jeff Cavins or Mary Healy
or Peter Williamson or Fr. Brian Harrison or Fr. John F. McCarthy or
Fr. George Montague or Fr. Mitch Pacwa. Dom Bernard Orchard are all faithful to the Church teaching and excellent in scripture scholarship.

Also A great faithful Catholic scripture scholar who passed away in the late 1990's but has a great book showing the enormous pastoral problems in catholic theology with the Q document and Markan priority is Dr William Farmer and here is his book. I would highly recommend it! The book destroys the non existant "Q hypothosis" and shows how anti-Catholics have used it and the supposed markan priority theory to try to destroy the Catholic faith.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospel-Je...1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332964512&sr=1-1-spell

Upvote 0