Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they’ve been greedy money hoarders they will be judged severely.
  1. Does that thought improve your current situation?
  2. By seeking "riches," yourself, don't you seek to be a "greedy money hoarder," too...?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Then why do I feel like God is putting this desire in me. I have prayed that it would go away but something inside me keeps telling me that I need to get money. I strongly feel like the Holy Spirit is telling me to get rich so I can help people.

You seem to me to have a strange epistemology concerning God and the Scripture. First walk with God, and it may take a lifetime of learning God's priorities, and who knows what he will give you next. Obedience is better than sacrifice --specially when you can afford the sacrifice.

I'm guessing you need to listen to a few different preachers, from different denominations.

Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't say the rich don't have to answer for what they do (as is also true for the poor), and I personally think that if my "brother" (neighbor, friend, stranger even) has need of something I have, shame on me for not sharing it, but it is not the cause of the poverty of the poor; I do say that what belongs to the rich applies the same as it does to the poor --what is theirs is theirs.

I’ll be honest with you I strongly believe that God is going to judge the rich severely for hoarding trillions of dollars while there are so many people dying and suffering.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I know that you are right. I am trying to be content but it isn’t working. I feel like God keeps telling me that I need to get money so I can help more people.

God calls us to allow our convictions, not our circumstances to govern our sense of contentment - Rob Kuban

Philippians 4:11-13 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’ll be honest with you I strongly believe that God is going to judge the rich severely for hoarding trillions of dollars while there are so many people dying and suffering.

What do you care? It's not between you and them, its between God and them...

Stick with following what God teaches, yourself. When your steeped in sin your not in a position to judge others.

Remove the log from your own eye... then you will see clearly.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Is that what that means?

"Poverty is a mindset" def. = people who can't afford what they want, but they are warm and fat

Okay, but as you point out that is not true poverty. It is rich, compared to some, but it is also not being hungry and in need. If that is what it means, then "poverty is a mindset" does not refer to true poverty, but simply not having all you want.
True, and my bad. I didn't answer the OP.

I do know of several people who habitually work the system of entitlement, and have to myself be on guard against the mindset that is lazy and wasteful. It is easy to be "trailer trash" in this country of public wealth.

Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. Does that thought improve your current situation?
  2. By seeking "riches," yourself, don't you seek to be a "greedy money hoarder," too...?

If I become rich I expect to live at a comfortable level but spend most of my resources on philanthropy. Maybe that is selfish of me to want to be comfortable but I feel like God has put that desire in me.

Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You seem to me to have a strange epistemology concerning God and the Scripture. First walk with God, and it may take a lifetime of learning God's priorities, and who knows what he will give you next. Obedience is better than sacrifice --specially when you can afford the sacrifice.

I'm guessing you need to listen to a few different preachers, from different denominations.

I have studied the Bible my entire life. I went to Bible College. I have listened to tons of Pastors. I still cannot change the desire inside me.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know of any rich that are hoarding trillions. Billions, yes (but who's counting? lol). I agree God is going to judge them. Particularly when they have had opportunity to do something for others in need, but hid their money away instead. Nevertheless, their money does not belong to others, if it is theirs.

Lest you think I am "on their side" or something, I have always given "beyond my means" in the eyes of some. God has always taken care of me when I had enough and when it seemed I didn't. And that is enough. I am not the kind who sees someone in need and turns away, either with my time or my money.

Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you care? It's not between you and them, its between God and them...

Stick with following what God teaches, yourself. When your steeped in sin your not in a position to judge others.

Remove the log from your own eye... then you will see clearly.

I understand what you are saying but at the same time we do need to warn the rich of their eternal responsibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do they mean when people say that poverty is first how people think. Can some of you guys elaborate on that? Thanks!
There's some truth to the idea that wealthy people have a certain mindset that most people don't share. It goes beyond simply being able to manage millions (or billions) more dollars than others.

Having said that, the great majority of people who hear that stuff are mostly what we in America once referred to as the "middle class". Unfortunately, the middle class is vaporware. It doesn't exist now and it hasn't really existed in decades. So when they hear "poverty is a mindset", some number of them will actually believe that.

That, as opposed to the observable reality that the economy which was rightfully theirs was exported overseas so that some bigwig could have a few extra million bucks in his bank account. I can kind of understand why the uber-wealthy say things like this, tbh.

Because if these people understood what happened to them, their lives, their country and their economy, they might just decide they want some payback. And they vastly outnumber the millionaires.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I become rich I expect to live at a comfortable level but spend most of my resources on philanthropy. Maybe that is selfish of me to want to be comfortable but I feel like God has put that desire in me.

How can you know what desire He put in you?

Does God cause you to sin? No... Coveting is sin, so this desire for material things doesn't come from God..

As He says, you cannot serve two masters, you cannot serve both God and money.

Whatever you think about there will your heart be... and your heart is on money and wealth. This is not God.

• Useful
Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know of any rich that are hoarding trillions. Billions, yes (but who's counting? lol). I agree God is going to judge them. Particularly when they have had opportunity to do something for others in need, but hid their money away instead. Nevertheless, their money does not belong to others, if it is theirs.

Lest you think I am "on their side" or something, I have always given "beyond my means" in the eyes of some. God has always taken care of me when I had enough and when it seemed I didn't. And that is enough. I am not the kind who sees someone in need and turns away, either with my time or my money.

The top 1% have trillions of dollars hoarded collectively.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Useful
Upvote 0

TheGreatTribulation

Mar 24, 2020
Sacramento
✟1,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can you know what desire He put in you?

Does God cause you to sin? No... Coveting is sin, so this desire for material things doesn't come from God..

As He says, you cannot serve two masters, you cannot serve both God and money.

Whatever you think about there will your heart be... and your heart is on money and wealth. This is not God.

I know what desire he put in me because the Holy Spirit keeps telling me that I need to get more money so I can do more for the kingdom.

I do serve God and not money. I am doing what I believe God is telling me.

God is telling me that I need to get money so I can do certain projects.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s wrong. Poverty is not a mindset. The rich are hoarding all their money and not sharing with anyone. That’s what creates poverty.

That's right if the Ball Player misses the ball and strikes out, it's the bats fault, or if that same player misses the ball in the outfield it's the gloves fault.

Therefore if some guy has a pile of money and you don't it's because he horded it.

At this moment, how many rolls of toilet Paper are in you house?....

Are you sharing? :sorry:

• Haha
Upvote 0