Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me the greatness of a few who rose out of misery doesn't really compensate for the misery of the many others who never "made it"; the cost of societal misery is a very high price to pay for occasional genius, but without a doubt the poverty we see in this world does drive a few to become great. It fills them with depth of experience and some wisdom to make for greatness. Poverty is terrible, yet in it there is still something of God to be found and seen. Mother Teresa said something along the lines of, 'among the dying poor, we see Christ in his most terrible disguise', There's a lesson in those words.

The poor you shall have with you, always .... said the Lord, he said it without intending to teach that poverty was inevitable or excusable, Gandhi mentioned that poverty is the worst form of violence. And Confucius taught all his lessons to make society orderly and well rules so that poverty might be reduced. The Buddha taught denial of desire as the path to perfection. But in those few words the Lord taught that he, himself, was the only proper answer to earthly poverty.

Matthew 26:6-13 ESV Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, (7) a woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. (8) And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, "Why this waste? (9) For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor." (10) But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. (11) For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. (12) In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. (13) Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her."

Christians, you are called to alleviate poverty, to reduce it, go generously give of yourselves, of your gifts, of your wealth, of your compassion to end the poverty that afflicts those around you.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems to me the greatness of a few who rose out of misery doesn't really compensate for the misery of the many others who never "made it"; the cost of societal misery is a very high price to pay for occasional genius, but without a doubt the poverty we see in this world does drive a few to become great. It fills them with depth of experience and some wisdom to make for greatness. Poverty is terrible, yet in it there is still something of God to be found and seen. Mother Teresa said something along the lines of, 'among the dying poor, we see Christ in his most terrible disguise', There's a lesson in those words.

The poor you shall have with you, always .... said the Lord, he said it without intending to teach that poverty was inevitable or excusable, Gandhi mentioned that poverty is the worst form of violence. And Confucius taught all his lessons to make society orderly and well rules so that poverty might be reduced. The Buddha taught denial of desire as the path to perfection. But in those few words the Lord taught that he, himself, was the only proper answer to earthly poverty.

Matthew 26:6-13 ESV Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, (7) a woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. (8) And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, "Why this waste? (9) For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor." (10) But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. (11) For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. (12) In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. (13) Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her."

Christians, you are called to alleviate poverty, to reduce it, go generously give of yourselves, of your gifts, of your wealth, of your compassion to end the poverty that afflicts those around you.
Ultimately, spiritual poverty is the greatest danger. But yes, God's nature indicates He loves to bless. The same God who owns cattle on a thousand hills sometimes reduces us to complete helplessness. And we will all face death. It keeps our perspective right.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very thoughtful and inspiring - can you give some examples that you personally found effective? How much of your income do you donate to causes - share what luxuries you have done without so you can help feed the poor. I'm always interested in how this is done in real life. Do you take in the homeless in your area so they can have shelter?

What do you find works the best.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Very thoughtful and inspiring - can you give some examples that you personally found effective?
Giving to addicted people time, some money, prayers, kindness.

Giving to dying people a listening ear, the best words and gentle touches, and other signs of care and love.

Prayer accompanied by actions whenever it is possible.

Reactions: WilliamC
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Giving to addicted people time, some money, prayers, kindness.

Giving to dying people a listening ear, the best words and gentle touches, and other signs of care and love.

Prayer accompanied by actions whenever it is possible.
WONDERFUL! So good to hear - my wife and I do likewise - of course we are faithful also in our Tithes and we support three missions organizations monthly. We also started a 'coffee donuts' fund a couple years ago. Every week we put the equivalent to the cost of a cup of coffee and donut for each of us into a jar. At the end of the month we anonymously give it to someone. It's only 300 or so a month, but boy does it help a single mother - or a waitress or the young man behind the counter.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The poor you shall have with you, always .... said the Lord,
Indeed. So while we do have Christian outreach to suffering humanity as in the case of ADRA (Adventist Development and Relief Agency)-- and similar organized outreach by other denominations - Jesus never said Christians were to end poverty on earth.

Christ fed Israel for 40 years with bread falling out of the sky (manna falling out of the sky) -- but did not do it while on Earth. He fed the 5000 ... once. He also fed the 8000 ... once.

But in John 6 He is asked why He did not do it daily - as in the wilderness. Certainly He proved that He could have.
True -- we help - but we are not called to end it.

And even in the OT and NT cases it is only Israel that benefited.

God has the ability to end it all for all of mankind at any moment. So also did Christ have that ability.
OR instead of preaching so much - He could have spent His time in mass feeding operations or sent his disciples out to all the cities with the mission of conducting mass feeding operations.

He could have directed His followers to 'change the Roman government' etc.

But He did not.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There is a reality to be kept in mind which is seen in Paul's admonishment to the able-bodied: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." (2 Th 3:10)

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this your practise?
Yes, a man on the street corner asking for money who refuses to mow my lawn for the money I will give him, gets no aid from me.

Some have given answers like, "I can make more money on this street corner than mowing your lawn."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a reality to be kept in mind which is seen in Paul's admonishment to the able-bodied: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." (2 Th 3:10)
Gosh, that sounds harsh. Did he say that was to the able bodied?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In I Thessalonians certain people got the idea that the Second Coming was around the corner so they stopped working….they wanted other believers to feed and take care of them. In Paul’s Second letter to the Thessalonians, the practice of not working for a living among certain continues….so Paul rails the law at them:

II Thess 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

The immediate context refers to those who could work but didn't. This passage only refers to adults. What about the infirmed, aged, mentally disabled? What about infants? God does not require impossibilities.

Paul’s words there are only for adults, and they are only for able-bodied adults who could work but refuse. Even though none of those explanations are explicit in the text of the New Testament,

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, a man on the street corner asking for money who refuses to mow my lawn for the money I will give him, gets no aid from me.
How good are your eyes at diagnosing infirmity and reading the heart?

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Contextually, II Thes. 3:10 only refers to believers who had a false understanding of end time theology.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a good measuring line and I believe wisdom.
Sounds like they are pretty good. I remember an example from just three years ago - a man in a wheelchair sat at the entrance of a local plaza. Sign said - Hungry - anything helps - I parked my car and said "I will not give you money - but I'll buy you lunch at McDonald's. to which he replied no, I just need the cash" - I walked away and gave him nothing.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quite accurate regarding those who say that they can make more money on the street corner than mowing lawns.
Their ability to work wasn't the issue.
What does "reading the heart" have to do with ability to work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I share something - I am the son of legal immigrants. My mothers family immigrated from their home country during WW2 because they were killing handicapped people and my mother had a withered left arm because of polio. She was far from what you called able bodied. She worked full time while my father worked full time and went to college. There was no money other than what they earned.

That is the work culture she grew up in and lived by.

There are so many programs and aid packages for the disabled available, I have to really wonder.

Yes we are to be generous, but we are also called to be good stewards.

Upvote 0