Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Probably some, but they're rather sad people. They have nowhere else to go due to the amount of insidious, backstabbing work that they've done in other churches. Their reputations spread like wildfire, and they basically have nowhere to go but here.

It could be better if they weren't around. In fact, the church is a lot better when they're not around.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there any people or groups of people you don't want to be part of your church?

Who? Why?

Religious ones
We had one lady who came once and then sent the pastor an email with what was wrong about him. It wasn't the good Bible translation, his looks were not good, hahaha, and some more points, it was fun though. She was surprised he didn't answer her mail.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh I heard this one from a visiting preacher. There was a couple in a church and they were just terrible, but they didn't dare saying anything about it. Then he got a word from the Lord for them that He had another church for them and they were really happy with it. So was everyone else.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I probably *shouldn't* want anyone to not be a part of my church, but honestly I do sometimes. It's usually the accusers and gossipers. Ideally the humbled rejects of society should be coming through the front door, and the judgmental, holier-than-thou types who don't like it should be the ones leaving.

We're human; some people are easier to like than others.

There's this big "lug" type of guy who didn't budge until I said, "Excuse me" three times when I needed to get past him in the pew so I could get a drink of water. For a while, he kept saying, "That's right" dozens of times throughout the sermon, too. Kinda irritating.

Upvote 0

BHSWRH

Aug 19, 2013
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This raises an interesting point.

Why are these people the type of folks we would rather not see on Sundays - why do we wish they left our churches for other fellowships?

If it's simply nasty, rude, difficult, tiresome conduct - I hear you all. However, if they are difficult with everybody, over time, what will happen? The rest of the congregation will avoid them.

The last time I moved churches, a few years ago, there was one particular woman who had a bad reputation. She was rude, annoying, and immature for her age (she's now about 35 or 36). I did not get along well with her. A brother who became my friend and who to this day still has anger issues (the Lord is working on him) told me back then that he strongly disliked her due to her rude behavior, and after I left, he told me other people would literally (but very subtly) 'clear our' during the fellowship time when they saw her coming.

Neither the brother nor I cared about annoying sister enough to confront her. And apparently nobody else did.

Also at that church, there was a young man who had terrible social manners. The guy wasn't mean or rude, but he was quite awkward and said strange things. People also avoided him.

In the fellowship I'm now in, there are people who don't think before speaking (and these are "repeat offenders" who offend others occasionally, to the extent others have confided in me how much their conduct/words have angered them).

Finally, I ask: how often have we applied Matthew 18?

In my own church, and in the church I left, there was a strong culture of NOT confronting. This was very cultural (by this I mean people's upbringing), of rather letting things appear "OK" and to ignore issues unless they became too obvious to ignore. People in both churches justified this by saying "I do not love/care for him/her enough to confront him/her," and also because the offenders and the offended often had effectively no real relationship/friendship, and rather, were mere church acquaintances, and as such, the offended chose not to confront because they didn't want awkward confrontations.

I will admit I myself have had such attitudes and have not always - in honesty, I have not very frequently at all - used Matthew 18 even when it was with somebody close to me. So I must confess I'm part of the problem.

How many of you have used Matthew 18 in a biblical, loving manner? Do your pastors condone it, encourage it, and exemplify it? Do you belong to churches where the culture encourages gentle, loving, firm, respectful, private "correction" so offenses are eliminated, relational health is restored, and resentment/bitterness/grudges are avoided?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yah the resident goody two shoes and her goody two shoes husband.

Other then them, the rest of the people in my age group who are married and have great lives and babies and careers and good faith and all that are fine and don't annoy me.

just HER.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just kidding, they're welcome too, but I don't think they'd be interested.

You'd be surprised. The fans I knew were often church goers.

As for who I wouldn't want at my coven which is like the closest I have to a church. When I was in one, I didn't like when we got a joker. One who mocks it, I don't know how she got in but it was rather irritating having someone in a group that is supposed to be comfortable mock us passively. However I don't hold grudges. No reason to hold on to that feeling.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,166,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember being in Sunday school, and becoming very angry when one of the other kids talked about how God loved them. One kid did, and I remember just staring at him for a long time with a horrible glare in my eyes.

After the service I'd wander the school building *yes, our church was hosted at a highschool*. I'd wander into the dark and be like really angry at the loving Christians and stuff. I'd also assume that everyone there hated me very much.

To be fair, the other kids never got along with me very well. Until I made friends with the Pastors son. He was part of the popular church crowd. So it was a little awkward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
After the service I'd wander the school building *yes, our church was hosted at a highschool*.

That doesn't seem to be unusual for small congregations.

On the other hand, if you have a big congregation and your church meets in a school auditorium because the church leaders are too corrupt to spend the tithes and offerings on a church building when they can spend them on their salaries and perks instead, then those are some people should find a different church.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,166,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't seem to be unusual for small congregations.

On the other hand, if you have a big congregation and your church meets in a school auditorium because the church leaders are too corrupt to spend the tithes and offerings on a church building when they can spend them on their salaries and perks instead, then those are some people should find a different church.

I'm not sure what counts as a big congregation. There were at least 100-150 people there, if not more..

We'd switch school every year or two. I actually liked it. Walking around a dark high-school when no one was around was creepy and fun. :)

Sadly I don't remember very much about my children church days. That part of my history is fading away, and I find that kind of sad.

Upvote 0