Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
That one has to be one of my favorites. ;) The "hat" (called a 'mitre') actually derives from the image of the cloven tongues of fire that rested upon the Apostles in the upper room at Pentecost.
Thanks for the disinformation about the tongues of fire. Its a good attempt, but I'm not going to argue with you.
The evidence speaks for itself.

vatican138_01.jpg

fish.jpg

vatican18_21.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the disinformation about the tongues of fire. Its a good attempt, but I'm not going to argue with you.

vatican138_01.jpg

fish.jpg

vatican18_21.jpg
Given that logic ... the early Christians used the fish symbol. Perhaps they got it from Dagon and have been pagan all along ...

(Just kidding, I know where the fish symbol came from and what it represents.)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't you mean Easter Sunrise Service? Or do we have to make up a new name because the true name is so incriminating.
:sigh:
Most people recognise that "dawn" and "sunrise" are synonyms.
The whole point is the Pagan link is right in the Bible when it says turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.

..........with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

No one is saying that if you happen to attend an Easter Sunrise Service you are worshiping Satan. I'm just showing you the Pagan origin.........that you claim there is no link to.
Here's the thing. Ezekial 8 doesn't mention "dawn" or "sunrise" either. You are adding that 'incriminating' word to the text. What is does say is that they "worshipped the sun toward the East". Worshiping the sun is what makes it pagan and none of us are doing that, so no link.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

vatican138_01.jpg

fish.jpg

vatican18_21.jpg
I can't tell if you are posting this as a parody or if you are actually serious.

• Agree
Reactions: XRho
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I can't tell if you are posting this as a parody or if you are actually serious.
It's beyond silly at this point.
I fully expect that Jesus Christ Himself will be considered pagan by the end of this thread with the usual comparisons to ancient religions.

Upvote 0

Choose Wisely

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2011
Texas
✟106,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me try this game. I loathe coconut cream pie and it must be pagan. I find the closest reference in scripture and point to it as my evidence.
Because Jeremiah 10 is clearly teaching that coconut cream pies have a pagan source. You're right, this game is absolutely smashing!
LOL ...Yep.......opposites. I like coconut cream pie........and no joke..... i was talking about it less than 2 hours ago.

Upvote 0

Choose Wisely

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2011
Texas
✟106,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:sigh:
Most people recognise that "dawn" and "sunrise" are synonyms.

Here's the thing. Ezekial 8 doesn't mention "dawn" or "sunrise" either. You are adding that 'incriminating' word to the text. What is does say is that they "worshipped the sun toward the East". Worshiping the sun is what makes it pagan and none of us are doing that, so no link.
And that's why I said.....No one is saying that if you happen to attend an Easter Sunrise Service you are worshiping Satan. I'm just showing you the Pagan origin.........that you claim there is no link to.

By the way......those that are worshiping the sun are worshiping Satan in case you can find no link.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And that's why I said.....No one is saying that if you happen to attend an Easter Sunrise Service you are worshiping Satan. I'm just showing you the Pagan origin.........that you claim there is no link to.
Pagans worshipped their gods in purpose built buildings, therefore Church services have pagan origins. This is the stupidity of following your logic.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

vatican138_01.jpg

fish.jpg

vatican18_21.jpg

According to wikipedia the first use of the Bishop's mitre was around the 10th century, from then on it seems to have gained in popularity. If you know anything about this time, you would know western contact with the west, especially the far east was limited at best, if not nearly Impossible given Islamic control.

Your theory, is that the Popes stole this Babylonian symbol directly from these ancient images? It might do well to think, did westerners have access to these pictures or knowledge of Babylonian headdress from which to draw the inspiration of their garb?

It is the worst sort of reasoning to see something similar in place and automatically assume a direct connection. Mind you this is the same thing critics of Easter do with the word Ishtar. They ignore every name for the feast in non-English Speaking territories between England and Babylon and insist on a connection solely on the names sounding similar, not pausing to consider why those Christians closest to the origin of word Ishtar don't call the feast by that name either. The same is true of Orthodox mitres, which don't look like papal ones. How come?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

By the way......those that are worshiping the sun are worshiping Satan in case you can find no link.

I seem to recall Christ telling us it was not what is outside of us that pollutes us, but what's inside of us. You liken the worship during sunrise to that of worshipping Satan by certain Christians, solely on the basis of the action and not the inward intent of the worshipper. Because Pagans were condemned for worshipping the Sun, therefore Christians are condemned for worshipping during the sunrise. You seem to believe, that only the external actions of a person is what truly matter in their judging.

It's interesting to imagine God judging people as you are. He can see their intent (unlike you) but apparently he will say, you worshipped me during a sunrise service. This was a grave sin, it did not matter what you intended, that you woke up early in the morning during the cold and gathered with believers in order to praise me, but what matter was your physical proximity and state of worship while the sun rose.

Me personally, I don't think God judges us on that basis. It's hard not to see the symbolic connection between the sun rising and the son of God rising from the dead, it's a natural image of the resurrection of Christ to which I can find no objection since it is clear those who gather for such a service are not doing it with the intent to worship Satan or to directly contradict Ezekiel in defiance of God.

It's rather your malign interpretation which you have imposed on others to condemn them.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is the worst sort of reasoning to see something similar in place and automatically assume a direct connection. Mind you this is the same thing critics of Easter do with the word Ishtar.
Don't be silly. Pictures on the internet trump historical research discipline every time.

Upvote 0

Choose Wisely

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2011
Texas
✟106,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pagans worshipped their gods in purpose built buildings, therefore Church services have pagan origins. This is the stupidity of following your logic.
Well then tell God about it as He is the one who called it an abomination.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I can tell the chap is serious. At one time I believed the lies he is spouting and people like him are dead serious and dead wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Very well. Post pictures of mitres through the centuries and we will examine the evidence. All the evidence.

You cant expect anyone to believe a theory based upon carefully selected evidence while omitting anything that supports a different conclusion.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that Christ did not have a meal with his followers before his arrest in which he broke bread and passed around wine, telling his disciples to do this in the future and that it--which is called the 'Lord's Supper' logically enough--is not a Christian practice?
Read my post again...did I say that? Communion is not to bring that meal to rememberance...But to bring to rememberancewhat Jesus did for us. Why would you think otherwise?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Read my post again...did I say that? Communion is not to bring that meal to rememberance...But to bring to rememberancewhat Jesus did for us. Why would you think otherwise?
It seemed from your post that you meant that the ceremony itself was not distinctly Christian.

See here:

I'm not against rituals that are taught in the Word, I'm against taking pagan celebrations and Christianizing them...Celebrations that the bible teaches against, celebrations that no early apostles, or other disciples celebrated...That Jesus did not celebrate... We are to be imitators of Jesus...Not to come up with better ways.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seemed from your post that you meant that the ceremony itself was not distinctly Christian.

See here:
Where did the communion ceremony originate? Jesus started it...So why would I be against it? Nope I'm not.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where did the communion ceremony originate? Jesus started it...So why would I be against it? Nope I'm not.
It is my mistake, then. It seemed from your posts that you were saying that it was not distinctly Christian and had not been instituted by Christ.

Upvote 0