Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i pride myself on being a solid language arts teacher and being a decent instructor of author's craft and literary devices, but, well, for lack of a better and less crude term, I'm having a reading brain fart here. I'm hoping Rus and the gang can help.

In most good stories we read, there is the literary device where the author shows the main character think and when he/she thinks, it is a rosy hypothetical that we, as readers, know will not happen.

For example,

Jake's mom had never left him stranded before. She had never once in nine straight years forgotten to pick him up. She's just late, thought Jake. Yeah. No big deal. She'll be here in the next five minutes, big smile on her face, and I'll be getting in the car, and we'll have a nice conversation homeward bound....

Now of course, that's too easy. Jake's mom is obviously NOT going to show. The author is giving us this rosy, upbeat, confident inner monologue from Jake.

What is this tactic called in literature where an author misleads us with either false hope or false pessimism and the opposite ensues??

I can't for the life of me recall the term??

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i pride myself on being a solid language arts teacher and being a decent instructor of author's craft and literary devices, but, well, for lack of a better and less crude term, I'm having a reading brain fart here. I'm hoping Rus and the gang can help.

In most good stories we read, there is the literary device where the author shows the main character think and when he/she thinks, it is a rosy hypothetical that we, as readers, know will not happen.

For example,

Jake's mom had never left him stranded before. She had never once in nine straight years forgotten to pick him up. She's just late, thought Jake. Yeah. No big deal. She'll be here in the next five minutes, big smile on her face, and I'll be getting in the car, and we'll have a nice conversation homeward bound....

Now of course, that's too easy. Jake's mom is obviously NOT going to show. The author is giving us this rosy, upbeat, confident inner monologue from Jake.

What is this tactic called in literature where an author misleads us with either false hope or false pessimism and the opposite ensues??

I can't for the life of me recall the term??
False foreshadowing? Red Herring? Plot twist?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
my first thought was that in a play/drama it would be a form of soliloquy.
A soliloquy (from Latin solo "to oneself" + loquor "I talk") is a device often used in drama when a character speaks to himself or herself, relating thoughts and feelings, thereby also sharing them with the audience, giving off the illusion of being a series of unspoken reflections.

Sorry, I'm of little help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums