• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

OSAS--Tough passages explained

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by Andrew, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenEyedLady

GreenEyedLady My little Dinky Doo

+164
    Baptist
    This is GEL'S 1000th post! Any I have twins..that pretty good for just 5 months!!!!
    WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO
    Anyway..I thought i would put it here!
    Now...where is my blue ribbon?? No blue ribbon huh?
    How bout ahhhh a trophey....Na KC gave me enough of those....
    I know! I get a big fat NOTHING!!!
    That;s ok....
    OK...Im being stupid now....How bout a crown???
    HASHAHHAHHAHAH
    GEL

2. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "But isn't that what "once saved, always saved" implies? "

Nope. You are a new creation and naturally you want to please God, not displease him. If you truely love basketball you're gonna want to spend a lot of time doing, watching and reading about it. You're not going to say, wow..I love basketball, then never think about it again.

3. GreenEyedLady

GreenEyedLady My little Dinky Doo

+164
    Baptist
    I second that motion louis!
    GEL

4. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    This is what I'm saying. By interpreting the phrase, "once saved, always saved", purely textually, it appears, from the outside, as though it says that once someone is saved, they will always be saved, regardless of what transpires in one's life. There is no clause in the short statement of "once saved, always saved" that specifies that one is expected to act righteously from the time of regeneration to the time of death. "Perseverance of the Saints", on the other hand, conveys the message more Scripturally, more accurately. "Saved" implies a single event, whereas "Perseverance" implies a process, which better describes sanctification.

5. eldermike

eldermike Pray Supporter

+578
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    How you view "tough passages" depends on your doctrine.

You have to establish or adopt a body of faith.
    You view of Jesus
    Your view of scripture
    Your view of the cross
    other matters of faith

Depending on how we adopt or develope these is how you will see scripture.

My suggestion to anyone is that they write down issue of faith and then resolve them one at a time using scripture. Then apply this as an overall doctrine to any scripture they read.

I am a firm beleiver in OSAS. It comes from a solid rock foundation of faiths. The Bible is without error, literal, historical, contempoary and profethic. Jesus is God. Jesus died for our sins. All that beleive are saved. None will be handed back over to the enemy, He lost. With this body of faiths I am secure in my study that I will not be taken in one direction and then another.

If I read scripture that can lead to some other conclusion I am protected by doctrine, that is what it's for, it's very purpose. So I say to myself, what is this scripture trying to say to me?. The truth of what it's saying comes from applying it to itself (doctrine). The HS will lead you as long as you don't go off course by not having your faith built on a rock solid foundation of faiths. Faith in God, scripture, the cross, the promise of everlasting life.

This method is scriptural...Paul said scripture was profitable for this use...the key is you have to be grounded by faith, not floating around trying to find the truth,,you have it.

Blessings

6. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "There is no clause in the short statement of "once saved, always saved" that specifies that one is expected to act righteously from the time of regeneration to the time of death"

Umm...so what? Just because the "title" of the belief doesn't show the details you're saying its wrong? Umm...if I say well the word "bible or scripture" says nothing about salvation in the title, therefore its wrong..what kinda crazy logic is that?

7. edpobre

edpobre Well-Known Member

+0

8. Ben johnson

Ben johnson Legend Supporter

+374
    Christian
    What does this mean? You say "faith in Scripture", but you also say "If I read Scripture that can lead to some other conclusion, I am protected by doctrine"; which is more pure, which is more reliable---Scripture, or doctrine?

The Holy Spirit does lead people, but we still have many different denominations---therefore man must be capable of falibility, prone to false doctrine.
    I agree. But can the same be said of "doctrine"?

9. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    It's the same "kinda crazy logic" that makes the distinction between the Real Presence and Remembrance. OSAS and PotS are the titles of doctrines, concerning one aspect of the nature of salvation. Bible is the name used for a collection of books('biblia' in Greek), and "Sola Scriptura" is a doctrine associated with it by most Protestants, concerning the nonrecognition of Sacred Tradition.

OSAS and PotS are, I'm sure you'll agree, much more narrow topics than the immensely broad content presented by the terms of "bible or scripture". OSAS and PotS concern individual doctrines, whereas the Bible and Scripture, for most Protestants and Reformers at least, concern the entirety of the Christian Faith. There is a bit of difference here, is there not?

10. Chris†opher Paul

Chris†opher Paul Based on a True Story

+4
    So, once you are "saved" in your 7000 member church, you no longer sin, huh? :rolleyes:

11. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    sOuljah:

read properly pls: the verse doesnt say we dont sin. it says we dont LIVE IN sin. there's a big difference.

IOW if a person says he's a Christian but sins like there's no tomorow without any guilty feelings, or thinks its ok to do so, he aint saved to begin with.

But when you are truly saved, when you do sin, you feel horrible and frustrated abt it.

ie you can't go on living in it, you'd wish you cld overcome that sin.

so a lamb may fall into the pig sty but he wont enjoy playing there. a pig however, would. so you must decide, are Christians lambs or pigs? and you dont transform from one to another day in day out.

12. pax

pax Veteran

+94
    Catholic
    Single
    The Catholic Church didn't "come up" with the doctrine, it was revealed by Christ through Scripture and Tradition. In Matthew, we see:

The other Apostles were given the powers to bind and loose later, but they were not given the keys to the kingdom as Peter was.

Later we see in John 21:15-9

In the Acts of the Apostles 1:15-26 Peter is the one who initiates the election of a successor for Judas:

More information on the Papacy can be found @ the Catholic Answers website: Peter and the Papacy

Pax Vobiscum

13. pax

pax Veteran

+94
    Catholic
    Single
  14. Chris†opher Paul

+4
    So...what is the point of feeling guilty? :rolleyes:

If you are saved at some point in time, then you are good to go forever. That is OSAS, don't backpedal from this fact.

You are saying that as long as you "feel" bad about sinning, that you are forgiven, right? This makes no logical sense, because you are always saved. If you feel bad, you are basically repenting, right? This is what the Catholic Church teaches...repentance.

Or maybe you are saying that if you don't feel bad, then you were never really saved...hmmmm, but who is to say how bad you have to "feel?" Feelings are subjective and can't be quanitfied, so how can you say whether someone was really saved in the first place.

There is no guarentee of salvation, and to teach that there is, is simply dangerous.

15. isshinwhat

isshinwhat Pro Deo et Patria

+605
    Eastern Orthodox
    I've never understood how you can know you are saved without a doubt, but later be found to never been "truly saved." Wouldn't even those who weren't "truly saved" have felt they had assurance of salvation?

Since even saved people sin, how would you ever know if you were truly saved or just fooling yourself? Could someone explain that to me, please?

Neal

16. Slave2SinNoMore

Slave2SinNoMore Active Member

+15
    Christian
    What's dangerous is to say that the death of Christ is not enough to settle the issue once and for all.

I have a few questions to ask you:

Do you agree that when you become a Christian, your sin nature is crucified with Christ? I hope you say yes, because it's in the Bible. Do you believe that a Christian is a new creation, and that the old has passed away? I hope so, because it says it in the Bible. If you believe both of these things, how is it possible that you could "lose your salvation"? If that were the case, that would mean that upon the moment you lose your salvation, the Holy Spirit leaves you and the sin nature comes back to life. How is that possible? Consider the ramifications of that scenario. What that says is that Christ's death wasn't powerful enough to "really" crucify the sin nature, just powerful enough to "mostly crucify" the sin nature, leavuing it with a few breaths left, so that it can one day nurse its way back to health and kick out the Holy Spirit. In effect, that is saying that the Sin Nature can be more powerful than the Holy Spirit, which is a very dangerous position.

How do you get around the following verse:

[ROMANS 11:29] For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

What does that mean? It means that a person can't suddenly decide to "repent of (give up)" the gifts and calling of God.

some translations say:

[ROMANS 11:29] For the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable.

17. pax

pax Veteran

+94
    Catholic
    Single
    Here are some highlights from an article at Catholic Answers (Click on the link for the full article, otherwise just look at the quotes below)

Pax Vobiscum

18. Chris†opher Paul

+4
    Christ's death made it possible for our sins to be forgiven, not to forgive them in advance.

This is the fundamental difference in our beliefs, and without agreeing on that point, further discussion will go nowhere.

OSAS implies that sins don't matter, as long as you believe in Christ.

I don't understand how someone could say that what we do here doesn't matter, just because we believe in Christ. Else, why would He even bother teaching about sin, etc...He would have just done his mission, and that would be it. He wouldn't have even needed to teach anything!

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

5 out of 5 demons know the Christ is Lord

19. Slave2SinNoMore

Slave2SinNoMore Active Member

+15
    Christian
    You're right. We don't agree on that. Christ's work on the cross was once and for all. That's what "It is finished" is all about. That gift is freely available to all. When you become a Christian, all your sins -past, present and future- are forgiven.

[Hebrews 8:12]
    And I will forgive their wrongdoings,
    and I will never again remember their sins.

[Hebrews 10:12] But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Non OSASers often make this claim about OSASers, which quite frankly is not true. We don't believe that sin doesn't matter. We just believe that if there was nothing we can do to earn our way to Heaven, then there is nothing we can do after we become a Christian to reverse the decision and cast us back into Hell. But it's not as if OSASers want to commit sin, or condone it at all.

In fact, those of us who believe that Christians are new creations and that the sin nature has been crucified in Christians, and that our new nature is the nature of Christ; we believe that a Christian is impowered by the Holy Spirit for righteous living - this is the righteousness of God, not of our own works. When we become Christians, we are freed from the effects and power of sin and death. As a Christian saved by Grace, I know that my new nature - my new spirit- which is the nature and Holy Spirit of Christ- yearns to do the Lord's will, and to walk in the Spirit. As a Christian saved by grace, I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I ask again: How is it possible, that once you are a new creation, once the sin nature is crucified and has passed away, how is it possible for a person to "stop being a new creation", and go back to be being an old creation, and have the Holy Spirit be kicked out and have the sin nature resurrected?

20. Chris†opher Paul

+4
    So a one-time Christian can never commit a horrible act? How about Adolph Hitler, is he saved? Or do you take the stance of "those people were never saved in the first place?"

Well, how is it possible that you can commit a sin if you are "of the nature of Christ?" Or do you not sin? Of course you do, so you still "live in" sin. Since you sin, were you never saved in the first place?

P.S.

I don't want to come across the wrong way to you, I am just pointing out the illogical nature of the OSAS stance. If I offend you, I apologize in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.