OSAS Discussion

What do you believe the OSAS doctrine teaches?

• God's grace allows a christian to sin as much as they wish without fear of consequence.

• God's grace is provided to christians in order to overlook a christian's sin in their walk with God.

• God's grace is provided as a means of forbearance by God. Not permission to sin.

• OSAS teaches it is perfectly ok to continue to sin

• OSAS teaches we are not without sin, and we are still God's child in our personal walk with Christ.

• OSAS teaches there is no sin once you have been saved, and you can no longer be condemned.

• Works are necessary, but only grace merits salvation.

• Works are more important than grace

• Works are not as important as grace

• Works are unimportant at all. All you need is grace

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I notice that your assumptions of what I think are actually what you think, that I am thinking, no nerve struck on my end. Just amazed that you keep wanting to say that scripture is wrong because it shows your beliefs are not scriptural. Now you are trying to explain away exactly what John wrote and stated that they were never of them. God gave a warning to those who want to add to His word. Others can read for themselves what we both have posted, bottom lines is, the scriptures speak for themselves. Have a great day.
It is good to know you notice some things.

I notice you do not seem to care to reason on whether or not your view of the texts discussed is a wresting of them. I hope for your sake that is only temporarily your response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When my statement was a quote which I also showed you in about 9 or 10 translations I would say you need glasses or was not wearing them when you claimed it was me wresting the verse in context. Reminds me of part of a line in a song, "Its not your brother, nor your sister but it you", that is ignoring the black letters on white print.:scratch:

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
When my statement was a quote which I also showed you in about 9 or 10 translations I would say you need glasses or was not wearing them when you claimed it was me wresting the verse in context. Reminds me of part of a line in a song, "Its not your brother, nor your sister but it you", that is ignoring the black letters on white print.:scratch:
OK, thank you for that advice. :)
I thought I did incorporate the basic thought you were referencing in each of those versions. But if you feel I didn't, well, what can I say.

Just don't expect that I will let up. I am a Christian warrior and it is my duty to stand against untruth whether that untruth is through the innocence of ignorance or the haughtiness of those who choose to fight against Christ. Whether you may have a following which you having taught now feel compelled to stand rooted so as to refuse to really re-examine to see if you made mistakes, I do not know. I only know I too taught the falsities you currently teach and I too resisted being found wrong until God took me down. If it is to be, I guess that will be how it will also work for you. I hoped of love that I might save you that or even save you from something worse.

Edit: by the way, I left out some of John's words which prove he believed you could be in and fall away from Christ. You can see that they were in Christ in his words at 2 John 1:8-9 "Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son." ("abideth in" means "remain in") No one can abide or remain in what they have never been in. And no one would tell someone to remain in something if they could not leave out of it.

It is as Paul said:
Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away
, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

As an old boss used to say to me when i was younger,, 'See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!' :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First let me explain that I sell fireworks for a living, and I am currently in a tent on the side of a road for new years. I might not be able to respond in a timely manner. So for that I do apologize.

Self admittedly, I know I do not yet get this entire discussion. Until recently I did not even know this was such a difficult concept that it's validity was argued. I took it for granted that if you chose to follow christ, confess him, and continue on, your salvation is secure. I posted my answers to the poll because I seem to be part of the mainstream regarding the topic, even tho I do not adhere to church teachings. Where this places me and what type of belief I hold I really do not know. I just know that you are saved until you decide to rebuke God, deny Jesus and go your own way.

upload_2017-12-17_12-5-8.png

Reactions: Buzz_B
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The gospel includes repenting and forsaking sin (See Ephesians 5:25-27, Titus 2:14). If not then, we are turning God’s grace into a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4 NIV).

So this point you are making is along the same lines of my own belief. However I think we differ in that such knowledge and/or understanding takes time to acquire. This is where I view the forbearance of God's grace keeping us until we are mature in his knowledge. We are secure in our ignorance as we grow, but accountable for what we do know. As children we will not lose our salvation for committing acts we do not have the understanding to know are wrong. Likewise we will not lose our salvation as we struggle through the ditches addressing sin in our lives, and bringing ourselves to the mindset of Christ. We can however decide to live a lifestyle that is unpleasing to God and grieves the spirit. At this point we have turned away from God and have decided to live our own way instead of God's. I still do not see this as 'losing' your salvation. Rather it is wilful rebellion and a decision to deny christ and live as the individual sees fit.

• Winner
Reactions: Buzz_B
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So this point you are making is along the same lines of my own belief. However I think we differ in that such knowledge and/or understanding takes time to acquire. This is where I view the forbearance of God's grace keeping us until we are mature in his knowledge. We are secure in our ignorance as we grow, but accountable for what we do know. As children we will not lose our salvation for committing acts we do not have the understanding to know are wrong. Likewise we will not lose our salvation as we struggle through the ditches addressing sin in our lives, and bringing ourselves to the mindset of Christ. We can however decide to live a lifestyle that is unpleasing to God and grieves the spirit. At this point we have turned away from God and have decided to live our own way instead of God's. I still do not see this as 'losing' your salvation. Rather it is wilful rebellion and a decision to deny christ and live as the individual sees fit.

I don't see how you can believe in OSAS if you believe that person can willfully rebel against God later.

Anyways, there are three different levels of OSAS.

I am getting the impression you may be an adherent of OSAS lite. This is saying that you have to live holy in order for OSAS to be true. If not, then one was never born again to begin with. Is this something like what you believe?

Or are you a Mid Range OSAS Proponent whereby a believer is will marked by generally living a holy life but dying in one or two unrepentant sins does not mean they are not saved.

As for Classic OSAS: This one is pure evil in my opinion. People think they sin as much as they like and they will remain saved.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am starting to believe I am being placed in a category I neither believe nor represent.

I believe as I voted:

God's grace is provided as a means of forbearance by God. Not permission to sin.

OSAS teaches we are not without sin, and we are still God's child in our personal walk with Christ.

Works are necessary, but only grace merits salvation.

I am getting the impression you are an adherent of OSAS lite. This is saying that you have to live holy in order for OSAS to be true. If not, then one was never born again to begin with. Is this something like what you believe?
How so? When have I ever once made that statement? It is true that some who believe they are saved will have never even confessed Christ their entire lives, and indeed, not be saved. But is also true that some born again Christians can decide to rebel against God and turn from their salvation. Just as Lucifer did. Satan was not thrown out of heaven for making a mistake, or even for having pride in his heart. He decide to be above God, said: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;

Let's look at paul:
1 Timothy 1:13 although formerly I was a blasphemer and a persecutor and an insolent man. Nevertheless, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith.

Now,

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

So you see the former sins are not counted against you. Instead you are saved from them. Brought out of them, redeemed.

Mark 3:28-29 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Mat 12:31-32 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

The problem is not blind ignorance, but willful rejection. That deliberate refusal to believe, even though knowing the truth, seems to be what Jesus called the unforgivable sin. Even as Satan walked amoung God, his outright refusal to accept God is unforgivable because he knew better.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am starting to believe I am being placed in a category I neither believe nor represent.

Please take no offense. I said it was only an impression and not a matter of fact. But by what you said here in this post, I believe this is not the case for you.

You said:
I believe as I voted:

God's grace is provided as a means of forbearance by God. Not permission to sin.

OSAS teaches we are not without sin, and we are still God's child in our personal walk with Christ.

Works are necessary, but only grace merits salvation.
Let's not complicate things. Real simple here. Are believers saved during the time they lie, cheat, steal, commit sexual immorality, etc.?
Yes, or no?

You said:
How so? When have I ever once made that statement? It is true that some who believe they are saved will have never even confessed Christ their entire lives, and indeed, not be saved. But is also true that some born again Christians can decide to rebel against God and turn from their salvation.

Then you
don't believe in OSAS. If you believe a Christian can rebel against God, then you believe salvation is conditional like the Bible teaches.

You said:
Just as Lucifer did. Satan was not thrown out of heaven for making a mistake, or even for having pride in his heart. He decide to be above God, said: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
Lucifer is a different case. He did not have faith like you and me. But I see your point about rebellion. I agree that a believer can turn away from God (if that is what you are saying).

You said:
Let's look at paul:
1 Timothy 1:13 although formerly I was a blasphemer and a persecutor and an insolent man. Nevertheless, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith.
This is talking about Paul's old life before he came to God. Not sure how this ties into what you are saying about believers rebelling against God. Paul was not a believer yet at this point in his life when he was a persecutor of Christians.

You said:
You said:
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

So you see the former sins are not counted against you. Instead you are saved from them. Brought out of them, redeemed.

I am not in disagreement that are PAST sins are redeemed if we ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins and we forsaken them. But if we go back to our sin, we need to repent again. If not, read the passage above. The unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

You said:
Mark 3:28-29 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Mat 12:31-32 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

This proves that not all sin is the same and that speaking bad words against the Holy Ghost will never be forgiven a person in this life or the next one (i.e. the Millennium).

You said:
The problem is not blind ignorance, but willful rejection. That deliberate refusal to believe, even though knowing the truth, seems to be what Jesus called the unforgivable sin. Even as Satan walked amoung God, his outright refusal to accept God is unforgivable because he knew better.

No. The unforgivable sin is not described in the Bible like that in any way. That is just fanciful thinking by religious scholars. The Bible tells us plainly that blasphemy is speaking bad words. This is also the context because the Pharisees said bad words against the Spirit in relation to Jesus. This sin can never be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how you can believe in OSAS if you believe that person can willfully rebel against God later.

I am getting the impression you may be an adherent of OSAS lite. This is saying that you have to live holy in order for OSAS to be true. If not, then one was never born again to begin with. Is this something like what you believe?

Or are you a Mid Range OSAS Proponent whereby a believer is will marked by generally living a holy life but dying in one or two unrepentant sins does not mean they are not saved.

As for Classic OSAS: This one is pure evil in my opinion. People think they sin as much as they like and they will remain saved.

Put me down for the “classic”.....only one problem though...I don’t “like “ to sin...sin sickens me....that’s what you guys can’t understand....OSAS and finding sin utterly repugnant,hence avoiding it at all costs, go hand in hand .it is what brings true peace and joy to the Believers life.......you have to live it in order to understand it,,I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Jason0047

Lets cut to the chase. Are you perfect, without sin, and completely righteous?

God sees me as all of those things.....simply because I believe Paul’s Gospel.....Christ took my sin ....I got His Righteousness..a deal only God could come up with!

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
For those who have the patience and willingness carefully think it through, here is why I find OSAS to be false doctrine:

Using the example Paul used at Hebrews 6:4-6 - here in Galatians he is working with the ones he was speaking of, not all of who would prove to be willing to repent:

Galatians 3:1 "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?"

Galatians 3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them."

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Galatians 4:19 "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.."

Galatians 5:1-2 "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing."

I have lain out the groundwork in those texts. Now when you get to Gal 5:2 take note of those words I emboldened for you. If we get entangled again in that old yolk of bondage law which places us in bondage to sin that we be punished, “Christ shall profit us nothing”, no life, no salvation, nothing.

What happens to any of these ones who prove to be unwilling to let themselves be pulled back as Hebrews 6 shows being as Christ is of no benefit to them EVEN THOUGH THEY AT ONE TIME DID DO IT RIGHT AND HAD CONFESSED A PROPER FAITH? And what does that do to your OSAS theory?

There in Galatians 4:9, 19 Paul Clearly indicates that Christ had previously been formed in them but now he must labor or travail to form Christ back into them.

You are beating a dead horse with that OSAS doctrine. This approach I am here using is but one of many ways that doctrine is proved to be false.

You may not know that when we sin it places us back under that old law just as they who turned directly back to that Old Law Covenant insofar as the penalty is concerned:

James 2:8-13
8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

1 Timothy 1:8-11
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Which then should deepen our appreciation of what Paul said here as follows:

1 Thessalonians 4:1-5
1 And last of all, the prayer which we make to you from our heart and in the name of the Lord Jesus, is this: that as we made clear to you what sort of behaviour is pleasing to God, as in fact you are doing now, so you will go on in these ways, but more and more.
2 Because you have in mind the orders we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
3 For the purpose of God for you is this: that you may be holy, and may keep yourselves from the desires of the flesh;
4 So that every one of you may keep his body holy and in honour;
5 Not in the passion of evil desires, like the Gentiles, who have no knowledge of God; (BBE)

1 Thessalonians 4:7-8
7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. (BBE)

verse 7 there actually means "not called with an allowance for uncleanness" according to some translators. And I agree with them, for what we are called for is rather clearly shown, as follows:

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

We are called to walk after the spirit full time, not part time. There is no allowance for us to be part time sinners and part time following the spirit so as not to sin:

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won't fulfill the lust of the flesh. (WEB)

Notice that James believes a brother in Christ can err and be lost unless someone intercedes to help save him:

James 5:19-20
19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

And Peter very obviously did not ascribe to OSAS:

2 Peter 2:20-22
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Really what more do you need so as to be able to know those who have pushed the doctrine of OSAS on you have duped you, either because they themselves were ignorant of the truth or because they did not care and are just using their ministry for prominence or for monetary gain.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I would just like to say that the reason there are three different levels of OSAS is that when those who long ago believed that untruth were confronted with their errors by truly enlightened followers of Christ, rather than repenting they just kept reshaping the unholy doctrine trying to make it holy. And it does not work that way. One cannot turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

I have been a believer since infancy and have studied the Bible for more than sixty plus years. I was taught to read using the Bible so that my teachers were amazed at my reading skills from my first day ever going to school. And i know what the original OSAS doctrines were. They are not fooling me by shape-shifting that doctrine like a chameleon changing colors.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Put me down for the “classic”.....only one problem though...I don’t “like “ to sin...sin sickens me....that’s what you guys can’t understand....OSAS and finding sin utterly repugnant,hence avoiding it at all costs, go hand in hand .it is what brings true peace and joy to the Believers life.......you have to live it in order to understand it,,I suppose.

You are absolutely right and if you will read these verses which are found in Isa 11:1-5 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,And a Branch shall grow out of his roots. 2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him,The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,The Spirit of counsel and might,The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord. 3 His delight is in the fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; 4 But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,
And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked. 5 Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins, And faithfulness the belt of His waist. Of course this is prophesy concerning the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ who was to be born, but if you notice the fullness of the Holy Spirit will be in Him and when a person is born again and the Holy Spirit comes to live in us, we have the same power so that we to as we grow in wisdom and understanding we incorporate His power in us. The power and wisdom I want you to pay special attention to is verse 3, without scripture knowledge this fear of the Lord is not "to be afraid of God", but to have reverence for Him, not wanting to disobey but to obey Him. And when you reflect what happened at the new birth you may remember that there was in you, the desire to completely obey His commands. As John 14:15 if you love Me keep My Commandments. But because there is the war between the flesh and the Spirit, we are not 100% obedient, but as we grow in understanding and wisdom we do in our walk only, grow in holiness in our walk and lifestyle. We are perfect and complete in our position, saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. Notice Pro 28:13 “I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge and discretion. 13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. 14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength. Notice v13, this fear, reverential awe, is what Isaiah was talking about and is the reason, we want to obey from the moment of the new birth, even though we may not be aware of how we so suddenly had this desire, it was there, giving us the desire to obey. That is why you have those desires to obey, because you want to please Him. That is why I also love Pro 1:7 the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction. This awe and reverence for God is not in them, but is in the saints. And Phil 2:13 is how it keeps telling us to obey, its not our power but its the Holy Spirit in you, Phil 2:13 for it is God working in you to will and to obey of His good pleasure.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When you are done being offended by what I wrote then try reasoning on it.

Goodness, I'm not offended by what you wrote! Why should I be? Seems like you might be looking for offense where none exists. Why is that, do you think?

Until then you are speaking things that are directly contradicted by the Bible writers themselves but are so fixated on what you think you have discovered that you do not even see what those Bible writers themselves have said opposite your view.

Merely saying so doesn't make it so.

I feel for you but you keep going right back to the same puke even when a scripture which plainly contradicts you is offered for your consideration.

??? "Puke"? LOL! Seems like you aren't used to being challenged.

Examples: Philippians 2:12 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

And what does the very next verse say? Do you know? Let me quote it for you:

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

We only work out what God has first worked into us by His Spirit. God gives us both the desire and the ability to do "His good pleasure."

But you would rather insist you understood correctly when you read Ephesians 2:8-9 and allow yourself to just go on doubting Philippians 2:12. Sorry friend, that is not how it is correctly done.

Are you sorry? Really? I think not. I know I have correctly understood Ephesians 2:8, 9 which is why I insist that it says what it says: No one is ever saved by works. Philippians 2:12 doesn't do a thing to change this explicit and clear declaration of Scripture. And, again, merely saying "that is not how it is correctly done" does not make it so.

When you read scriptures which seem to contradict your view of another text it is signalling you that there is something wrong with your interpretation.

Uh huh. Well, pay attention to your own signal, then. From what I can see, you are ignoring it far more than I.

You need to understand all the things the Bible writers tell you, not just the ones which support you being comfortable in what you prefer to believe. You are not really listening until you direct your attention to humbly trying to do that.

Right back at ya', buddy.

I will take time to explain Romans 8:29-30 to you so as to help you understand. I have already in my previous post shown you many which contradict your idea of what that text means.

No, actually, you haven't. But give it your best shot.

In the mean time, actually consider what Jason0047 wrote in his post 144. There are many scriptures listed in that post which directly contradict you. It is not me nor is it Jason who calls you out, but God's word itself. Don't let yourself be offended at us for that can only hinder you.

I have listened very carefully to Jason0047 which is why I disagree with him so strongly. We've had long exchanges in other threads where I've shown him to be in error in his understanding and use of the many verses he likes to launch at other posters in defense of his views.

Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who takes the lead in a saint's holy walk? Phil 2:13 for it is God working in you to will and to do of His good pleasure. John 15:5b without Me(Jesus) you can do nothing! :oldthumbsup: So let him that glories, glory in the Lord,!Cor1:31; whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of the Lord 1Cor10:31. Even Jesus said walking as man He never did anything on His own, only what the Father showed Him, John 5:19-20 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. 20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.:amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Using the example Paul used at Hebrews 6:4-6 - here in Galatians he is working with the ones he was speaking of,

"The ones he was speaking of"? You mean in Hebrews 6:4-6? Are you saying Paul is referring to the Galatian Christians in Hebrews 6:4-6? If so, how do you know that, exactly? I don't think the writer of Hebrews was describing genuine believers in chapter 6. More likely, the writer of Hebrews was describing the "tares" of whom Jesus spoke in his parable. For why I think that read:

Eternally Secure In Christ | Christian Forums

Galatians 3:1 "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?"

Galatians 3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them."

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Galatians 4:19 "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.."

Galatians 5:1-2 "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing."

I have lain out the groundwork in those texts. Now when you get to Gal 5:2 take note of those words I emboldened for you. If we get entangled again in that old yolk of bondage law which places us in bondage to sin that we be punished, “Christ shall profit us nothing”, no life, no salvation, nothing.

You have laid out the groundwork in those texts? How so? As far as I can see, you've merely quoted a series of verses from Paul's letter to the Galatian believers, lifting them from their immediate context and stringing them together as though they were meant to be read in such a way. How is this "laying out the groundwork"?

In any case, on his words, "Christ shall profit you nothing," Paul does not expand as you do. He certainly doesn't say, "You will have no life, no salvation, nothing." That's because such a conclusion is unwarranted. One may have a car that has engine trouble and ceases to run, but this doesn't mean one no longer possesses the car. It may not be "profitable" or of use and/or beneficial in its broken-down condition, but it is not, therefore, lost to its owner as a possession. So, too, in one's relationship to Christ. Working to be righteous via the law makes the grace of God extended to us in and through Christ of no effect (ie. unprofitable). He who would be righteous by way of obedience to the law cuts himself off from the grace and liberty found in Jesus. Does this mean such a man is unsaved? Of course not. He is no more unsaved by working for his righteousness through obedience to God's law, than a man who uses a toothpick to empty the water from his leaky boat instead of the bilge pump is, therefore, no longer the owner of his own vessel. Such a man is foolish, to be sure, and using a toothpick can do nothing - no matter how hard he works - to deal with the water in his boat, but his ownership of his boat and his position in his boat is not automatically dissolved by his foolishness. The boat owner is cut off from the benefit of the bilge pump by his choice to use a toothpick to empty the water from his boat, but he is still in the boat. Likewise, the believer who uses the "toothpick" of obedience to God's law as the means of his righteousness instead of the "bilge pump" of Christ's imputed righteousness, is cut off from the benefit of Christ's righteousness, but he does not therefore automatically lose the "boat" of his salvation.

There in Galatians 4:9, 19 Paul Clearly indicates that Christ had previously been formed in them but now he must labor or travail to form Christ back into them.

And how does this translate into "You've lost your salvation"? Forming the character of Christ in the misled Galatians is a matter of correcting understanding, not of regaining lost salvation.

You are beating a dead horse with that OSAS doctrine. This approach I am here using is but one of many ways that doctrine is proved to be false.

Well, so far, you're a long, long way from proving OSAS false.

You may not know that when we sin it places us back under that old law just as they who turned directly back to that Old Law Covenant insofar as the penalty is concerned:

James 2:8-13
8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

I don't think James is indicating what you have about the effect of our sin. Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but when I read the above passage it seems to be saying that when we sin, we transgress the law of God and thus become guilty before Him no matter that we may have committed a transgression of only one of God's laws (vs. 10). But being guilty before God of transgressing His law does not mean we are under the law as the OT Israelites were, or desire to be.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

We are called to walk after the spirit full time, not part time. There is no allowance for us to be part time sinners and part time following the spirit so as not to sin:

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won't fulfill the lust of the flesh. (WEB)

The last part of Romans 8:1 (who walk not after the flesh, etc...) is a later addition to the verse and is not, therefore, included in many newer translations of the Bible. I would not, then, argue from it. In any event, you are right: believers are called to walk full-time in the Spirit. The very fact that Paul is explaining this to the Roman believers in chapter 8 indicates, however, that they were not doing so. But Paul thinks, nonetheless, that he is writing to born-again believers (Ro. 1:7, 8). Their not walking in the Spirit did not mean they were un-born spiritually, only that they had growing in their faith to do.

Notice that James believes a brother in Christ can err and be lost unless someone intercedes to help save him:

19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Here is an alternative translation of this verse from the NASB:

19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

The NKJV renders it this way:

James 5:19-20 (NKJV)
19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Young's Literal Translation translates the verse:

19 Brethren, if any among you may go astray from the truth, and any one may turn him back,
20 let him know that he who did turn back a sinner from the straying of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.

Reading from these translations, the idea of lost salvation is not at all clear. Instead, the idea of correction is in view, of returning a believer who has wandered off the right course to it once again, not re-redeeming a once saved person. And the death a person encounters as a consequence of their sin - saved or not - is not necessarily eternal death, but death of fellowship (not relationship) with God, of joy, peace, contentment, physical life and health, relationships, etc. These verses, then, by no means secure an SAL (saved-and-lost) point of view.

And Peter very obviously did not ascribe to OSAS:

2 Peter 2:20-22
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Really what more do you need so as to be able to know those who have pushed the doctrine of OSAS on you have duped you, either because they themselves were ignorant of the truth or because they did not care and are just using their ministry for prominence or for monetary gain.

While this may be true of some proponents of OSAS, it is not true of all. The passage from 2 Peter 2 is not necessarily referring to believers who lose their salvation. Context makes that very hard to support.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"The ones he was speaking of"? You mean in Hebrews 6:4-6? Are you saying Paul is referring to the Galatian Christians in Hebrews 6:4-6? If so, how do you know that, exactly? I don't think the writer of Hebrews was describing genuine believers in chapter 6. More likely, the writer of Hebrews was describing the "tares" of whom Jesus spoke in his parable. For why I think that read:

You have laid out the groundwork in those texts? How so? As far as I can see, you've merely quoted a series of verses from Paul's letter to the Galatian believers, lifting them from their immediate context and stringing them together as though they were meant to be read in such a way. How is this "laying out the groundwork"?

In any case, on his words, "Christ shall profit you nothing," Paul does not expand as you do. He certainly doesn't say, "You will have no life, no salvation, nothing." That's because such a conclusion is unwarranted. One may have a car that has engine trouble and ceases to run, but this doesn't mean one no longer possesses the car. It may not be "profitable" or of use and/or beneficial in its broken-down condition, but it is not, therefore, lost to its owner as a possession. So, too, in one's relationship to Christ. Working to be righteous via the law makes the grace of God extended to us in and through Christ of no effect (ie. unprofitable). He who would be righteous by way of obedience to the law cuts himself off from the grace and liberty found in Jesus. Does this mean such a man is unsaved? Of course not. He is no more unsaved by working for his righteousness through obedience to God's law, than a man who uses a toothpick to empty the water from his leaky boat instead of the bilge pump is, therefore, no longer the owner of his own vessel. Such a man is foolish, to be sure, and using a toothpick can do nothing - no matter how hard he works - to deal with the water in his boat, but his ownership of his boat and his position in his boat is not automatically dissolved by his foolishness. The boat owner is cut off from the benefit of the bilge pump by his choice to use a toothpick to empty the water from his boat, but he is still in the boat. Likewise, the believer who uses the "toothpick" of obedience to God's law as the means of his righteousness instead of the "bilge pump" of Christ's imputed righteousness, is cut off from the benefit of Christ's righteousness, but he does not therefore automatically lose the "boat" of his salvation.

And how does this translate into "You've lost your salvation"? Forming the character of Christ in the misled Galatians is a matter of correcting understanding, not of regaining lost salvation.

I don't think James is indicating what you have about the effect of our sin. Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but when I read the above passage it seems to be saying that when we sin, we transgress the law of God and thus become guilty before Him no matter that we may have committed a transgression of only one of God's laws (vs. 10). But being guilty before God of transgressing His law does not mean we are under the law as the OT Israelites were, or desire to be.

The last part of Romans 8:1 (who walk not after the flesh, etc...) is a later addition to the verse and is not, therefore, included in many newer translations of the Bible. I would not, then, argue from it. In any event, you are right: believers are called to walk full-time in the Spirit. The very fact that Paul is explaining this to the Roman believers in chapter 8 indicates, however, that they were not doing so. But Paul thinks, nonetheless, that he is writing to born-again believers (Ro. 1:7, 8). Their not walking in the Spirit did not mean they were un-born spiritually, only that they had growing in their faith to do.

20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

19 Brethren, if any among you may go astray from the truth, and any one may turn him back,
20 let him know that he who did turn back a sinner from the straying of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.

Reading from these translations, the idea of lost salvation is not at all clear. Instead, the idea of correction is in view, of returning a believer who has wandered off the right course to it once again, not re-redeeming a once saved person. And the death a person encounters as a consequence of their sin - saved or not - is not necessarily eternal death, but death of fellowship (not relationship) with God, of joy, peace, contentment, physical life and health, relationships, etc. These verses, then, by no means secure an SAL (saved-and-lost) point of view.

While this may be true of some proponents of OSAS, it is not true of all. The passage from 2 Peter 2 is not necessarily referring to believers who lose their salvation. Context makes that very hard to support.

This is absolutely cool and Confirmation in the spirit. If you don't know from my other posts I actually work roadside in a tent selling fireworks. I got into prayer and ask God for confirmation and what I got was a homeless man and some random dude I don't even know come into my tent and start talking to me about this very subject. One of the explanations that I got through all this searching is how Christians are like a broken down car. Even though a car is broken down you can love it so much that you don't take it to the scrapper. You take the time to rebuild the engine, fix the leaks, put on new aftermarket products and drive it down the street. Now you know this car is not all that reliable it looks horrible and there's a lot to be done but shes beautiful to you.

Then it was explained to me that faith is like the gasoline that you put in this car. Then when the gasoline is in the car, that car should work and when that car works it does things. Those actions that the car does are proof that its not going to the scrap because no one's going to waste money on a car that won't work even if it has gas in the tank.

Now she's old and ratty, and sometimes she might even break down on you and leave you stranded. So you tow her and you fix her back up. Before long you have a reliable vehicle, and she's so beautiful and so well loved that you no longer drive her crazy squealing your tires or driver through mud. You cherish what you have and you no longer want to do the crazy things of your youth because you do not want to destroy her. You cherish what you have.

I know that's the strictest of an abstract paraphrase of what's going on in this subject. But I received that message from a homeless man some random guy I do not even know and a conversation with god. Then here you are referring to Christians as broken down cars and how you just fix the engine. I thought that was pretty cool.

Message received

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I understand why you think you see what you do. You are pushing up off a corrupted foundation. And I understand you will claim you are not as you believe you are building on the foundation of Christ. Unfortunately, believing you are and actually doing so are two different things.

You have your minds seeing things differently than they really are because of much other false doctrine, such as the bogus idea that your individual bodies are temples of God and God literally indwells you individually. You have violated the Greek grammar rules to adopt such conclusions and now those wrong conclusions corrupt all you build atop them. Your house is no better than its foundation and you have a divided Christ.

We never see more than one of temple in existence at any one time throughout the history of ancient Israel. And we learn important things from this.

It is OK to see that there were temples which were each one built at different points in time but we need to realize that was only because Israel's unfaithfulness kept resulting in their previous temple being torn down or left to the wild animals and the elements to waste them away.

What should we learn form that? It is a warning example to us not to take the body of Christ for granted by resorting back to sin in either passive or direct hard nose defiance of God because we can lose access to that temple which is Christ's body and return to our old bondage, even as those of ancient Israel lost access to their physical temple at different points in time and went into bondage.

And it is important to remember concerning that bondage which ancient Israel kept falling back into for unfaithfulness, that only a small remnant ever returned from that bondage at any time. That is how it also happens for us. The picture created there is God's warning example to us and we are fools if we do not heed it.

There is one God and there is one temple. One God only needs one temple. And that one temple sets figuratively atop mount Zion. There is only one mount Zion in the spiritual even as there is only one physical mount Zion. And God gave us warning examples showing that we can lose access to that temple with the result that few of us (as in only a remnant) will ever make it back.

You have chosen to ignore much of what I posted in post 192. You rationalize God's words to you away. You are like a vessel with its own water supply built into it base. That supply built into its base represents you own knowledge formulated of your own wisdom. There is another water supply above you pouring water upon your open rim but you have fill yourself so quickly of your own water supply at your base that you are already filled and so that water from above rolls right over the edge of your rim and is lost to you.

Luke 6:25 "Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep."

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, the statement that there is only one temple at a time is completely false and the scripture speaks specifically that the believers are the temple of God. If anyone just reads these verses as they written they will see, if they have eyes to see, that v18 every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body, therefore the body of the man is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you clearly is speaking of the one man just as every person in the body of Christ is the temple of the Holy Spirit and God because all are bought with the same price and Jesus paid the cost. Read the verses quoted from 1 Cor 6:18-20 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Quit declaring the written words of God are wrong and just admit what it says with black letters on white paper. Every saint is a stone and all together they make the one temple of God. Unity of the believers we make up the temple of God. That is why George Whitefield would not pastor a church in the early 18th century, because he said that people would begin to believe that the building was the church when he knew that the saints are the building where God resides in those indwelt by the Holy Spirit and the Godhead. Every believer should know that where God dwells is in His temple and His called out ones are His temple. You are one of those spoken of, by George:scratch:

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0