Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chik-Fil-A was founded by Christians and they aren't open at all, anywhere on Sundays. Unless however you go to my parish because the local owners here are Greek and often bring it to lunch/coffee hour after DL.
I wondered too. Quite a few of these I don't quite "get".

But you're saying it has nothing to do with Orthodoxy?

Just checking in - you don't have to explain for my sake. Having to explain a joke usually makes it un-funny anyway. :)

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the Chik-Fil-A one is saying that they could have Sunday breakfast at Chik-Fil-A on Sunday, but can't because Orthodox have to fast on Sunday morning. But, nobody can have breakfast at Chik-Fil-A on Sunday morning because it's not open.

Upvote 0

St Herman's Ghost

Orthodoxy or Death
Aug 14, 2015
WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think the Chik-Fil-A one is saying that they could have Sunday breakfast at Chik-Fil-A on Sunday, but can't because Orthodox have to fast on Sunday morning. But, nobody can have breakfast at Chik-Fil-A on Sunday morning because it's not open.

Whammy

Upvote 0

St Herman's Ghost

Orthodoxy or Death
Aug 14, 2015
WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Oh, Lord have mercy, I can relate to half of that. I have no illusions of looking like the first photo, but I sometimes think I can resemble the second! I don't cover my head in Church for the sake of fashion or beauty. My hair would actually look much nicer if I didn't, and I know that ...

Reactions: seekingsolace
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Lord have mercy, I can relate to half of that. I have no illusions of looking like the first photo, but I sometimes think I can resemble the second! I don't cover my head in Church for the sake of fashion or beauty. My hair would actually look much nicer if I didn't, and I know that ...
I tried once to use one of those lace pin on ones...total fail lol. I thought it would be good for Pascha...but no - not for me. Not easy to use, and for me, with how tired I am in the mornings, I need something easy to put on. It is very pretty though (although I know that's completely not the point of head coverings).

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I need head covering at times BUT I can never keep anything on my head - I think I need 6 ins nails through the scarf and into my head.

When I was over in the USA with my priest friend there he used to laugh as I tried to keep it on - he would always tell me when I could leave it off

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I asked one of the chanters in our Church how she ties hers - she's a dear lady. She showed me how, but it was a bit complicated, being tied in two places, and she said she was always having to adjust it (still far better than what I'd managed at that point.

Then the following week she excitedly told me what she found. She started wearing a fabric headband, and pinning the scarf to that. I tried it, and it works GREAT. However, I also like infinity scarves, and wear them in a double loop around my neck, front one pulled over my head for a covering. I found a type that doesn't seem to slip (kind of loosely woven, but it DOES catch on things and pull threads). I usually use this though, no pins or anything. With LOTS of bowing it may slip back, but takes me 3 seconds to re-do. And I can pull it forward a bit on the sides to block my side view a bit and cut down on distraction. All in all, that's my current favorite.

But I could wear a lace one by pinning it to a fabric headband. I just feel since I don't normally wear that style, it might give the wrong impression if I did it.

I still need something to work better under a choir robe that only goes on when I'm on my way for the Eucharist. That's still a bit of a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've found that the head coverings from this website are particularly easy to tie:

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html
Ohhhhh, I've looked at that site before. I get overwhelmed!

I just buy what I can find locally (which isn't much!) and play with that.

Generally speaking I have small and medium squares (bandana and scarf size), looonnngggg rectangles, a few triangles, and infinity scarves.

I really need someone who knows about all of these to show me hands-on, lol. I've worked some things out myself, but those who have been doing it for years are so much better at it than I am. :)

Maybe that's why I look like ET wrapped in a blanket sometimes. ;)

I like looking at the photos on that site though. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ohhhhh, I've looked at that site before. I get overwhelmed!

I just buy what I can find locally (which isn't much!) and play with that.

Generally speaking I have small and medium squares (bandana and scarf size), looonnngggg rectangles, a few triangles, and infinity scarves.

I really need someone who knows about all of these to show me hands-on, lol. I've worked some things out myself, but those who have been doing it for years are so much better at it than I am. :)

Maybe that's why I look like ET wrapped in a blanket sometimes. ;)

I like looking at the photos on that site though. :)
Have you looked at the tying tutorials on the site? And I know what you mean :) it takes me forever to decide on a scarf from that website since there are so many choices!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you looked at the tying tutorials on the site? And I know what you mean :) it takes me forever to decide on a scarf from that website since there are so many choices!
I will have to look for tutorials. I've checked out several places but remember seeing any tutorials.

That site is bad for me. I can begin to covet other head coverings, lol. Not good!

Upvote 0