Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently posted the famous "Liar Lunatic or Lord" quote on my Facebook and someone piped in with a bunch of nonsense about Jesus just being a good teacher, and my sister is also offended that anyone would say the divinity of Christ is a Salvation issue. Thinking about putting that meme into the thread.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I recently posted the famous "Liar Lunatic or Lord" quote on my Facebook and someone piped in with a bunch of nonsense about Jesus just being a good teacher

that always made me wonder. the Romans saw Him as a trouble maker, the Jews a heretic, and the Christians as Lord. nowhere until modern times has He ever been just "a good teacher."

my sister is also offended that anyone would say the divinity of Christ is a Salvation issue.

I would wonder, how is it NOT a salvation issue?

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fortunately, I misunderstood my sister, and she was talking about people who the church would consider to be catechumens. But, I most certainly did not misunderstand the other person who just straight out renounced the divinity of Christ and said the apostles were liars.

The guy from our Quaker meeting that I have heard renounce both the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection as "stories" had to weigh in with some random out of context scripture, and I came down on him like a ton of bricks. Because I have truly had enough of him. If he was in front of me I'd spit on him. It might not be the moral high ground, but like I said - I've had enough. I really understand how Nicholas felt with he cold cocked Arius. My husband admitted that even he is feeling fed up because I told him I'm tired of Friends acting like this guy - a recorded minister - spouting heresy isn't a big deal.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have not heard of Quakers embracing such a belief, but there are other denominations that do. Just about any heresy imaginable can be found somewhere out there - including denying the divinity of Christ, the Virgin birth, and the Resurrection. Frankly, I don't see how you have a Gospel once you do all that. I'm a little surprised there is still a God at all in that case. You don't really "need" one anymore at that point, I would think, especially if evolution takes care of creation.

Upvote 0