Visit site
✟9,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for information on Job 42:18-22, in my Orthodox Bible there are these verses. But when I look at other translations NIV, TLV, or my JPS Hebrew-English translations these verses are not there. Any help or guidance much appreciated, thank you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2023
Rainelle
Visit site
✟9,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Verse 18 say, "It is written that he will rise with those whom the Lord resurrects..." And then goes on to give a history of who Job is through v.19-22. The notes say, St. John Chrysostom remarks that the exiled Jews in Egypt included this section because they knew they would soon return to Jerusalem, "and desiring this, they could find in the history of Job a significant brazier with which to rekindle their piety." Which is all interesting but seems like a weak reason to include it in the text. Tried to do a little research online but couldn't find much. Overall, not happy with the OSB translation of Job, I know it is a noteriously hard book to translate but this was a little frustrating. To add this at the end is confusing. (I'm new to orthodoxy so trying to take my study seriously.)

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I see your point and the last time I read Job in full order was years before the full OSB was issued. There is an Orthodox priest named Fr Patrick ( Henry Reardon, full name). He wrote a commentary book on Job so he may know something of these extra verses.

I don’t know of direct contact info to him but online info shows he served at All Saints Orthodox Church in Chicago years back. Maybe you could email that parish & find something out. I tried to find info on St. John Chrysostom’s comment on these verses but was unable to.

Anyway, here is a link to All Saints Parish and hope you can find assistance from there.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0