Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Opethian said:
hmm Portnoy is good but Hoglan is much faster :p He's like a machine gun behind a drumset :D

I've always thought that the best drummers were the ones with the best precision and sense rythm, not necessarily the fastest ones. A drummer with speed but no rythm sonjures images of a shark who has found it's prey.

Besides, Hoglan is a death metal drummer. He's required to do faster drumming than Portnoy is.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
madbox said:
I love this band, I somewhat know their lyrics but not enough also I wanted to know what you guys think, satanic or not. Because to an extent they can be and to an extant it could have christ like meanings.

For an example in Delieverence it could be about satan or it could be about Jesus and the temptation he went through.
Instead of projecting a belief onto their music, you could just accept and judge it as a work of art in and of itself.

Upvote 0

Opethian

Big Member
Jan 2, 2006
Molenstede
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've always thought that the best drummers were the ones with the best precision and sense rythm, not necessarily the fastest ones. A drummer with speed but no rythm sonjures images of a shark who has found it's prey.

Besides, Hoglan is a death metal drummer. He's required to do faster drumming than Portnoy is.

Well yeah obviously but you were talking about the number of evil spirits they could summon, and I would imagine faster drumming would get more evil spirits :p .

As for really good drummers with a lot of feeling, I would say Brann Dailor (I probably spelled that wrong), the drummer from Mastodon, is better than Portnoy. So is Martin Lopez from Opeth, but more for his groove orientation. And black metal drummers can't be beaten in speed.

Upvote 0

Idicious

Nov 14, 2004
The Netherlands
✟8,515.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Opethian said:

Well yeah obviously but you were talking about the number of evil spirits they could summon, and I would imagine faster drumming would get more evil spirits :p .

As for really good drummers with a lot of feeling, I would say Brann Dailor (I probably spelled that wrong), the drummer from Mastodon, is better than Portnoy. So is Martin Lopez from Opeth, but more for his groove orientation. And black metal drummers can't be beaten in speed.

Some death/grindcore has faster drums than black metal.

Upvote 0

Opethian

Big Member
Jan 2, 2006
Molenstede
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Some death/grindcore has faster drums than black metal.
Really? And are these normal recordings of the drummer or is it altered by pc afterwards to sound faster?
I don't really see how it is possible to drum faster than guys like Hellhammer without starting to sound incoherent.

Upvote 0
R

RenewingMyMind

Idicious said:
You know what RenewingMyMind? I'm convinced, it wasn't you, I went googling and came across this site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/drums.htm

I'm suddenly now convinced that all music that include drums are satanic, truely. The evil african tribal beats that are present in worship are really just summoning up demons, even in our most sacred places.

Now you go fight it out with him if you disagree with him, because he'll use the same scripture you were just using.

:help:

When the tribes in africa dance around the fire and call the spirits it is what comes out of there mouth that calls the demons. The music goes along with it and thus they go together.

The problem is I use scripture with spiritual understanding and you use scripture to justify your fleshly desires.

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mangedrabbit

Jan 17, 2006
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see why we're still arguing about this. We, the Opeth lovers and drum lovers, are not going to give in, and neither is Renewing.

However, I will say this: people worship Satan through music and people worship God through music. Does that mean we should not worship God through music because people worship Satan through music also? No. The same applies to styles of music and instruments.

I win. I don't care anymore. I quit this thread :p

Upvote 0

Idicious

Nov 14, 2004
The Netherlands
✟8,515.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
RenewingMyMind said:
When the tribes in africa dance around the fire and call the spirits it is what comes out of there mouth that calls the demons. The music goes along with it and thus they go together.

The problem is I use scripture with spiritual understanding and you use scripture to justify your fleshly desires.

:amen:

Who are you to judge my beliefs, you don't even know me. How do you know how I interpret scripture, and wow, you've now found the ultimate meaning in scripture? I have given up many worldly things in God's service, I could go into how God has worked in my life and my personal faith but that isn't really relative to this topic at the moment and I don't want to bore everyone else with it ;) (besides that it's sort of against forum rules in this section)

So I ask you again since you fail to answer the question in EVERY single post and just keep attacking people (oh how easy it is to avoid the actual subject manner), how can a certain type of music in itself be wrong? Now I expect a biblical founded answer on that in your next post, and as I sayd again, not the don't conform yourself the world because that doesn't explain how a certain music type can be wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Morphy

Feb 13, 2006
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
After reading several of the arguments on this thread, I see two kinds of people discussing. The ones that claim to the music saying they are not affected by the music. And the ones who are 100% convinced that metal is satanic and should be forbidden.

Alright. So what can I say to that?

Well, first of all, I think that metall shouldn't be marked as satanic music. That is W-R-O-N-G. I do listen to Metal, and I am 100% christian. It is the meaning and "soul" behind the music that determines if it is satanic or not. For example, there are many CHRISTIAN METALBANDS! Take Extol for example. I don't know if anyone of you have heard about them. They come from Norway, my country, but they do some gigs in america too. It is a christian metalband. The lyrics, the intensions, and the "soul" behind every bit of the music, is 100 % christian. They want to preach through the music. I think it's great, because if we should face the truth (and that's probably also why some think metal is antichrist) the majority metal listeners are not christians. More likely they are pretty negative for the christian aspects. That's what makes it so great! That christians can preach to people who needs to hear the word! Don't you agree?

Also, I think it is a great statement, that the metal genre, ain't got nothing to do with satanism. How could it, after several christian bands have growled the name of God and how he loves the human kind?

So, once and for all, I hereby state to those who think that metal is the devils work. Sorry bro's, but you're wrong.

Once that is said, I do not think that metal ONLY provide good things. It is a fact that there is satabic metal bands, and I try to avoid those kind of bands. I am not a master in telling which bands are good and which bands are not, but if I get the feeling, that a band has a bad message and intensions, I keep a distance, and I think that you should too. Just an advice, I'm not "hunting" you down :p

For example, bands with pentagrams and devils wants to tell their listeners a message. I'm not saying that their intesions are to demonise you, or glorify satan, but the chances for that it's just what they're doing rise increasingly. I will therefor warn you, like some people allready have, to stay away from suspicious bands!

But, back to the main reason for this thread: Opeth!
I don't think that Opeth is one of these "bad bands". I think they only make good music in a unlucky rumoured genre. Have you heard any suspicious lyrics? Tell me. Have you seen any suspicious signs or markings, like devils or pentagrams, tell me.
And one of the biggest clues telling me that they are not "bad" in any way: Extol, the christian norwegian metal band, supported them on their tour!

(If you like Opeth, and you are a christian, you should definetly check out Extol. Especially the "Undecieved" album!)

Upvote 0

xnerox

Feb 16, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
first off, there are loads of christian metal bands... ill name all the ones i know: extol, norma jean, haste the day, as i lay dying, demon hunter, becoming the archetype, zao... there are lots more, those are just the ones i'm familiar with.

are you suggesting that the style of music they play automatically makes their music satanic, regardless of lyrical content? because that is a ridiculous argument...

and about 'secular' metal being satanic by default... does that mean that anything that doesn't mention jesus by name is satanic? so if i pick up a garfield comic and read it i am promoting satan? i mean, it promotes gluttony. dear lord, now i am going to go repent for my years of indulgence in this pagan periodical :doh: .

and actually getting to the topic of opeth and satanism, read these lyrics and find me something that is unchristian:
Beating
Heart still beating for the cause
Feeding
Soul still feeding from the loss
Aching
Limbs are aching from the rush
Fading
You are fading from my sight
Break of morning, coldness lingers on
Shroud me into nightmares of the sun
Moving
I am moving closer to your side
Luring
You are luring me into the night
Crying
Who is crying for you here
Dying
I am dying fast inside your tears
Plunging towards bereavement faster yet
Clearing thoughts, my mind is set
Devious movements in your eyes
Moved me from relief
Breath comes out white clouds with your lies
And filters through me
You're close to the final word
You're staring right past me in dismay
A liquid seeps from your chest
And drains me away
Mist ripples round your thin white neck
And draws me a line
Cold fingers mark this dying wreck
This moment is mine
Help me cure you
Atone for all you've done
Help me leave you
As all the days are gone
Night fall again
Taking what's left of me
Slight twist, shivering corpse
Ornated with water, fills the cracks
Clasped in my lims by tradition
This is all you need
Bleak, by Opeth

there is absolutely NOTHING
in that song that is suggestive in that song. you could say, with your infinite logic, that it is secular, and thus promoting satan. well here's a bit of a newsflash... natural human emotions are secular! does that mean that all people are inherently satanists? and by singing about things from our own experiences does that mean we are promoting paganism?

as someone said earlier in the thread people like you are the main reason why people become atheists and satanists. your narrow-minded view of the scripture and the world around you makes you out to be some perfect being, and everyone should try to be 'what you have become', when the only person we should seek to be like is Jesus. and you know what? he was often in the company of drunks, taxcollectors, nonbelievers, demon-possessed individuals, lepers, and every manner of sinner and satanist you can imagine... and he sure didnt convert them by telling them everything bad about their character and forcing them into some dogmatic and untrue belief.

i dont think you need to be praying for people who have enough faith in Christ to overcome 'secularism' and enjoy music... i think you need to pray to be delivered from your own bitter elitism.

Upvote 0

Theogonia

Jan 9, 2006
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Morphy said:
After reading several of the arguments on this thread, I see two kinds of people discussing. The ones that claim to the music saying they are not affected by the music. And the ones who are 100% convinced that metal is satanic and should be forbidden.

Alright. So what can I say to that?

Well, first of all, I think that metall shouldn't be marked as satanic music. That is W-R-O-N-G. I do listen to Metal, and I am 100% christian. It is the meaning and "soul" behind the music that determines if it is satanic or not. For example, there are many CHRISTIAN METALBANDS! Take Extol for example. I don't know if anyone of you have heard about them. They come from Norway, my country, but they do some gigs in america too. It is a christian metalband. The lyrics, the intensions, and the "soul" behind every bit of the music, is 100 % christian. They want to preach through the music. I think it's great, because if we should face the truth (and that's probably also why some think metal is antichrist) the majority metal listeners are not christians. More likely they are pretty negative for the christian aspects. That's what makes it so great! That christians can preach to people who needs to hear the word! Don't you agree?

Also, I think it is a great statement, that the metal genre, ain't got nothing to do with satanism. How could it, after several christian bands have growled the name of God and how he loves the human kind?

So, once and for all, I hereby state to those who think that metal is the devils work. Sorry bro's, but you're wrong.

Once that is said, I do not think that metal ONLY provide good things. It is a fact that there is satabic metal bands, and I try to avoid those kind of bands. I am not a master in telling which bands are good and which bands are not, but if I get the feeling, that a band has a bad message and intensions, I keep a distance, and I think that you should too. Just an advice, I'm not "hunting" you down :p

For example, bands with pentagrams and devils wants to tell their listeners a message. I'm not saying that their intesions are to demonise you, or glorify satan, but the chances for that it's just what they're doing rise increasingly. I will therefor warn you, like some people allready have, to stay away from suspicious bands!

But, back to the main reason for this thread: Opeth!
I don't think that Opeth is one of these "bad bands". I think they only make good music in a unlucky rumoured genre. Have you heard any suspicious lyrics? Tell me. Have you seen any suspicious signs or markings, like devils or pentagrams, tell me.
And one of the biggest clues telling me that they are not "bad" in any way: Extol, the christian norwegian metal band, supported them on their tour!

(If you like Opeth, and you are a christian, you should definetly check out Extol. Especially the "Undecieved" album!)

Having a pentagram on the album cover doesn't mean anything. It's a common symbol for metal.

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟9,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ScottyL said:
Having a pentagram on the album cover doesn't mean anything. It's a common symbol for metal.
no, actually it's a sign of beliefs.

some use it to shock people with their 'saTanizm!" or it just might be that they are pagan...

either way, its like having a cross on the album cover and not meaning anything...

Upvote 0