Opeth

S

seeker336

RenewingMyMind said:
It's not about the music, its about the message.

Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

You can't have the full package with only one spread.

So with the band, say Slayer, you can't have the full package with only the lyrics or the instrumentals.

I would advise that you try seeking the Bible and find some Christian fellowship at church. Try to find someone who has come out of a rough lifestyle or knows about the other side.

If you enjoy reading pick up one of the following books by Dr. Rebecca Brown:

1 He came to set the captives free
2. Becoming a Vessel of Honor
3. Prepare for War
4. Generational Curses

She was in the occult and all her books are about delivering people from serious occult bondage and she explains how this death metal that you think is so innocent open doorways to the occult and for demonic possession.

Get out while you can because when you open the doorway you will be sorry and you will soon start to notice evil, eerie things around the house and unexplained things.

You can laugh and get mad but please don't and don't take this as me yelling at you but I can't sugarcoat this kind of stuff.

You may think its funny but you will think about it when you go to be tonight.

Find some Christian fellowship with deliverance ministry.

Peace and I hope as you seek you find Jesus.

John 14:6

Jesus answered: I am the way, the truth, and the life, No man comes to the Father except through me.

Remember salvation is free

Salvation Prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus.
I need you... I need your grace to forgive me
and I need your love to change me.
Thank you for your amazing love.
Thank you for giving me eternity.
But above all, thank you for dying on the cross for me.

I accept You as my Lord and Savior.
Now I'm a Christian, which means You live in me.
I belong to You.
I will live my life for You and I will live for you forever...
Amen.

Praying for you my friend. :prayer:

Well what is wrong with the message? Do you even know what Opeth's messages are?

Here's a good example.

I was listening to Ghost Reveries last night when it occurred to me that it is most definitely a concept album. I'm a huge fan of concept albums so I spent some time analyzing song order and lyrics and it seems to me that specific album is about escaping the grasp of Satan and finding atonement (though the last song on it confuses me a little) even if you must do it in the afterlife.

What's wrong with that? That seems like a good Christian message, even if it's not intended that way.

And Opeth isn't death metal, it's progressive metal. Trust me.

I have yet to see any substantial evidence as to why a Christian male or female should not listen to this band.

Upvote 0

Kahalachan

Eidolon Hunter
Jan 5, 2006
✟8,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Opeth is great. I saw them in Seattle and fell in love with Lacuna Coil who openned for them.

Good to see some metal listeners on this forum.

As for it being Satanic, I don't care. Music is an artform and an expression of the self. Well at least it should be but many use it to make money ;)

I think Opeth's songs are a musical reflection and they are sincere. That said, if any metal band is Satanic then as long as there is motivation to understand how the music reflects the group, I don't see how that can be bad.

A Christian may understand the pain expressed through their music and be compelled to help people undergoing that pain.

If Satan can take something that was meant to be pure and make it perverse, then why can't God who is more powerful take something perverse and use it as a blessing?

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for RenewingMyMind, but he mentioned Rebecca Brown's books (published by Chick Publications). Here is information about the books and investigation of them by three pastors. I believe I recall mention of rock music in Jack Chick's tracts as well as Rebecca's books.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
RenewingMyMind said:
How many of you Christians that listen to Satanic music suffer from bad dreams and out of body experiences?
This made me giggle.

How many people DON'T have "bad dreams"?

And how many people have out of body experiences, regardless of what music they listen to? I mean, I've never had a conversation with a metal fan where they told me how the newest Judas Priest album gave them the greatest out of body experience ever... assuming the validity of the concept of an out of body expereince (which, ironically, there is no scientific proof for, nor do I recall anything in the Bible about them... though if I'm wrong, please correct me) most accounts of them I've read about are due to pagan rituals and/or illicit drug use.

Seriously... if anyone has had an out of body expereince due to listening to metal... let me know what album it was.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,629.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Theory said:
This made me giggle.

How many people DON'T have "bad dreams"?

And how many people have out of body experiences, regardless of what music they listen to? I mean, I've never had a conversation with a metal fan where they told me how the newest Judas Priest album gave them the greatest out of body experience ever... assuming the validity of the concept of an out of body expereince (which, ironically, there is no scientific proof for, nor do I recall anything in the Bible about them... though if I'm wrong, please correct me) most accounts of them I've read about are due to pagan rituals and/or illicit drug use.

Seriously... if anyone has had an out of body expereince due to listening to metal... let me know what album it was.
Here is a bible verse.
[Bible]Ecclesiastes 12:6-7[/bible]

I have difficulty meditating if I have a song stuck in my head. I have to reach a deep state of meditation to be able to leave my body. Therefore, listening to rock music prevents, rather than causes OBEs for me.

Upvote 0

Theogonia

Jan 9, 2006
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
RenewingMyMind: Yes you do have a point. Metal tends to associate with Satanism and the pentagram is a common symbol for metal artists. BUT I disagree with you when you say that listening to that kind of music is agreeing with the lyrics. For example, I listen to Slayer and my favorite album is God Hates Us All. I DO NOT agree with that. If that's what vocalist Tom Araya believes I have no problem with that. However I don't have to agree with what he's saying to enjoy the music.

And stop trying to make Yam Kimil ashamed of what he listens to by saying he should show the lyrics to his church. It's none of the pastor's business what he listens to. His decisions on what to listen to or watch is between him and God.

I listen to a variety of metal and even "satanic" bands like Dimmu Borgir and I never have sleeping problems. I have no interest in the occult or Satanism.

Also, if you really think metal bands get witches to cast spells on their CDs then you need help.

To stay on topic, I love Opeth.

Upvote 0
R

RenewingMyMind

ScottyL said:
RenewingMyMind: Yes you do have a point. Metal tends to associate with Satanism and the pentagram is a common symbol for metal artists. BUT I disagree with you when you say that listening to that kind of music is agreeing with the lyrics. For example, I listen to Slayer and my favorite album is God Hates Us All. I DO NOT agree with that. If that's what vocalist Tom Araya believes I have no problem with that. However I don't have to agree with what he's saying to enjoy the music.

And stop trying to make Yam Kimil ashamed of what he listens to by saying he should show the lyrics to his church. It's none of the pastor's business what he listens to. His decisions on what to listen to or watch is between him and God.

I listen to a variety of metal and even "satanic" bands like Dimmu Borgir and I never have sleeping problems. I have no interest in the occult or Satanism.

Also, if you really think metal bands get witches to cast spells on their CDs then you need help.

To stay on topic, I love Opeth.

It most certainly is the pastor's business if he is going to spread this propaganda in the church and lead others astray.

YOu have no interest in the occult yet you conform to their music and beliefs.

Odd. :confused:

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟9,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
RenewingMyMind said:
It most certainly is the pastor's business if he is going to spread this propaganda in the church and lead others astray.

YOu have no interest in the occult yet you conform to their music and beliefs.

again, you say that we, because we listen to the music, conform to the band's beliefs and i have said time and time again that it is not a fact, get that through your thick skull

and who says i'm going to 'spread propaganda' whilst leading others astray? where did this come from? Not only do i respect other's taste in music, but rarely do i even mention that i even listen to what i do without someone asking me first. Must mean i'm really trying to get people astray and spread that propaganda satan has put in my head...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Opethian

Big Member
Jan 2, 2006
Molenstede
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Opeth is the most talented band in all of metal, and possibly all of music, today. They transcend genres, and compose epic, beautiful music that feel like a story unfolding in your mind. The emotions they can associate inside their complicated riffery and wall of sound are just amazing. As for being satanic, I wouldn't even care if they were, and they aren't! I'm pretty sure the entire band is atheistic, and I've seen them live, they don't try to act like they're the "666 death metal pwnzors evil satanists", in fact, Mikael Akerfeldt would put up quite a performance as a standup comedian. They're all in it for the music, and nothing but the music, and the music they make is utterly magnificent!

IF you printed the lyrics of heavy metal and took it to your pastor and board, I can guarantee that they would shoot it down.

I bet you've never read any metal lyrics besides the ones specifically chosen out by your local religious scarecrow. Get a clue.

When you listen to death metal you are agreeing with the lyrics and message and our thus paying homage to evil.

Listening to music and agreeing with the lyrics are something entirely else. Besides, I think agreeing to the lyrics of a lot of pop/techno/rap music would be much worse than agreeing to those of a lot of death/black metal. A lot of death/black metal releases are concept albums which revolve around a story. You should really read the lyrics to "Edge Of Sanity's" "Crimson II" and "Crimson". Excellent stuff!

If Jesus manifested himself in your room would you want to be listening to music that worships the devil or music that praises him.

Get a clue! Most metal music, including Opeth, does not worship the devil! Only in your mind it does! Slayer doesn't even worship the devil!!!

Get out while you can because the more you play with fire the more you will get burned and once you open a stronger doorway your world will come crashing down.

At least metal music is intellectually satisfying, unlike any other genre I can think off, except some progressive music and classical music. You just keep dumbing down yourself with the sort of stuff you listen to, and your braindamaging religion, and stay out of the business of people that enjoy music on a much higher level.

By having cd's with pentagrams and devil lyrics in your house you give demons the right to be where they are glorified. It will only be a matter of time until things start getting eerie around the house and you will think about it when you go to bed.

Man you really have a wild imagination!

Clean the stuff out now and annoint your room with oil.

What next, set the oil on fire?

Jesus, brainwashing is way too effective...

Upvote 0
R

RenewingMyMind

Yam Kimil said:
again, you say that we, because we listen to the music, conform to the band's beliefs and i have said time and time again that it is not a fact, get that through your thick skull

and who says i'm going to 'spread propaganda' whilst leading others astray? where did this come from? Not only do i respect other's taste in music, but rarely do i even mention that i even listen to what i do without someone asking me first. Must mean i'm really trying to get people astray and spread that propaganda satan has put in my head...

IF you listen to this and aren't telling others that you listen to this garbage then you must be ashamed of it and are hiding it from your church members. You can play Christian when everyone is around but God knows what you are listening to and if you are spending time listening to this garbage I have trouble believing that you have any relationship with the Lord Jesus.

Make up your mind if you want to be a Christian or a Pagan. We can't be both and we can't live our whole walk on the fence.

Let it go for it divides your loyalties?

Peace. :)

Upvote 0
R

RenewingMyMind

Opethian said:
Opeth is the most talented band in all of metal, and possibly all of music, today. They transcend genres, and compose epic, beautiful music that feel like a story unfolding in your mind. The emotions they can associate inside their complicated riffery and wall of sound are just amazing. As for being satanic, I wouldn't even care if they were, and they aren't! I'm pretty sure the entire band is atheistic, and I've seen them live, they don't try to act like they're the "666 death metal pwnzors evil satanists", in fact, Mikael Akerfeldt would put up quite a performance as a standup comedian. They're all in it for the music, and nothing but the music, and the music they make is utterly magnificent!

I bet you've never read any metal lyrics besides the ones specifically chosen out by your local religious scarecrow. Get a clue.

Listening to music and agreeing with the lyrics are something entirely else. Besides, I think agreeing to the lyrics of a lot of pop/techno/rap music would be much worse than agreeing to those of a lot of death/black metal. A lot of death/black metal releases are concept albums which revolve around a story. You should really read the lyrics to "Edge Of Sanity's" "Crimson II" and "Crimson". Excellent stuff!

Get a clue! Most metal music, including Opeth, does not worship the devil! Only in your mind it does! Slayer doesn't even worship the devil!!!

At least metal music is intellectually satisfying, unlike any other genre I can think off, except some progressive music and classical music. You just keep dumbing down yourself with the sort of stuff you listen to, and your braindamaging religion, and stay out of the business of people that enjoy music on a much higher level.

Man you really have a wild imagination!

What next, set the oil on fire?

Jesus, brainwashing is way too effective...

Have you ever been to a Slayer show or one of your favorite death metal shows?

What do you think all those Satanist's and others walking around are doing there?

They would be recruiting new vessels for the devil and are casting demons into people. Those shows are havens for demon infestation and for demonization to occur.

I don't suppose Slayer's album ' God hates us all ' would imply anything?

How about Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, or on Vulgar display of Power the song by Demon's be Driven?

Black Metal is all about satanic worship and the whole metal industry is a bunch of satan's children spreading his propaganda to his other children that buy the albums and mark themselves with tattoo's and rock on.

I don't suppose Cannibal Corpses album's imply anything satanic or Nile's albums, or Incantation's albums, or Six Feet Under's albums, or Deicide's albums, or Mortician's albums, or Sepultura's albums, or Dying Fetus' albums, or Konhkra, or Amorphis, or Dimmu Borgir, or Cryptopsy, or Venom, or Deceased, or Emperor, or you name some, or any of the other albums you associate with imply anything more then obvious that are worshipping the devil and his fallen counterpart's.

I don't have a wild imagination at all, I am speaking from experience as I was a former Moshpit maniac and a hardcore metal head before giving my life to Christ. I know all about your bands and their so called innocent ways and the things they tell you to brainwash you into opening gateways to the occult and whether you know it or not you are one of satan's children and he runs your life and has blinded you with his propaganda?

Remember Jesus loves you and when you start having those out of body experiences and those bad nightmares, and the eerie things around the house he is the only one who will be able to deliver you.

If you want to pm me privately feel free to and I can share more.

You can laugh and joke and jeer at me all you want but I know the in's and outs of metal and where it is going to lead you and how it will eventually ruin your life as it almost consumed my life to the point of suicide.

I don't suppose Slayer's song Mandatory Suicide would have any satanic connotation? :confused:

Acts 4:12

Salvation is found in no one else, there is no other name under heaven which is given to men by which we must be saved.

That name is Jesus and he loves you and one day you will bow before his throne whether out of love or out of fear. Hopefully it will be out of love and respect, otherwise you will be in hell and torment forever.

Peace my friend. :)

Upvote 0

Opethian

Big Member
Jan 2, 2006
Molenstede
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever been to a Slayer show or one of your favorite death metal shows?

I've been to an Opeth show, and besides the fact the music was excellent, the guitarists could play guitar, the drummer could drum and the singer could actually sing, I would see no difference with a normal rock/pop live show (except for maybe the size of the place and the amount of fans, but this is caused by musical ignorance of the masses, and the music they are fed by the media).

What do you think all those Satanist's and others walking around are doing there?

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Out of 1000 people I would wager at a black metal concert less than 2 of them will be satanists. And as for an Opeth concert, NONE of them.

They would be recruiting new vessels for the devil and are casting demons into people. Those shows are havens for demon infestation and for demonization to occur.

ROFLMAO!!! Just let your imagination run loose! :)

I don't suppose Slayer's album ' God hates us all ' would imply anything?

Does the title say: "I love satan!:kiss: ". Not everyone opposed to god is a satanist, it can also be metaphorical for the sh*t that can happen in life, ever thought about that?

How about Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, or on Vulgar display of Power the song by Demon's be Driven?

Pantera are NOT satanists, far from it. Those are just metaphorical terms. The fact you know nothing at all about these artists' personalities means you cannot imply anything about these song titles. Dimebag Darrell (the guitarist) was a great man and one of the most talented guitarists ever to grace this earth, and the fact you would consider him a satanist brings pain to my heart, and I demand you withdraw that insinuation!

Black Metal is all about satanic worship and the whole metal industry is a bunch of satan's children spreading his propaganda to his other children that buy the albums and mark themselves with tattoo's and rock on.

Black Metal is more about paganism. Get your facts right. It is true that there are Black Metal bands that are truly satanists, but the majority of people do not take this serious and just listen to the great music FOR the great music and nothing else. You are mistaking a very small minority for a majority.

I don't suppose Cannibal Corpses album's imply anything satanic or Nile's albums, or Incantation's albums, or Six Feet Under's albums, or Deicide's albums, or Mortician's albums, or Sepultura's albums, or Dying Fetus' albums, or Konhkra, or Amorphis, or Dimmu Borgir, or Cryptopsy, or Venom, or Deceased, or Emperor, or you name some, or any of the other albums you associate with imply anything more then obvious that are worshipping the devil and his fallen counterpart's.

I don't have any music from Cannibal Corpse, Incantation, Six Feet Under, Deicide, Mortician, Dying Fetus, Konkhra, Cryptopsy, Venom or Deceased. I can't tell you anything about those bands, but from what I can see from the other bands you mentioned, I'm pretty sure they're not satanic.

Nile is a death metal band that has lyrics about Egyptian history. Nothing satanic about them. In fact, they are very accurate about this history and their lyrics are incredibly interesting if you are interested in the Egyptian culture.

Sepultura was a thrash metal band, and if they used satan-like subjects in their songs it is definitely not to promote satanism...

Amorphis has nothing to do at all with satanism...

Dimmu Borgir and Emperor are probably the only bands you mentioned that in fact are related to satanism. I don't know the band members personally so I cannot tell you if they really mean this or just use the terms for pagan-like lyrics or whatever. In any way, it does not matter because most, if not all, people listen to the music for the music! I am a complete atheist, like many who listen to black and death metal, and I do not believe in satan!

I don't have a wild imagination at all, I am speaking from experience as I was a former Moshpit maniac and a hardcore metal head before giving my life to Christ. I know all about your bands and their so called innocent ways and the things they tell you to brainwash you into opening gateways to the occult and whether you know it or not you are one of satan's children and he runs your life and has blinded you with his propaganda?

ROFLMAO :D , somehow I think you must either be very very stupid and unlucky to be drawn into those kind of things, or you must have just made it up :) .

Remember Jesus loves you and when you start having those out of body experiences and those bad nightmares, and the eerie things around the house he is the only one who will be able to deliver you.

Jesus was a nice man, but he's dead now. End of story. I don't have out of body experience or nightmares, except about ignorant creationists.

You can laugh and joke and jeer at me all you want but I know the in's and outs of metal and where it is going to lead you and how it will eventually ruin your life as it almost consumed my life to the point of suicide.

If that really happened, the problem was YOU. Not the music.

I don't suppose Slayer's song Mandatory Suicide would have any satanic connotation? :confused:

I have no idea, I don't even read most of the lyrics, I just listen to the music. And if it does, it is to substantualise an idea, not promote it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟9,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
RenewingMyMind said:
IF you listen to this and aren't telling others that you listen to this garbage then you must be ashamed of it and are hiding it from your church members. You can play Christian when everyone is around but God knows what you are listening to and if you are spending time listening to this garbage I have trouble believing that you have any relationship with the Lord Jesus.

Make up your mind if you want to be a Christian or a Pagan. We can't be both and we can't live our whole walk on the fence.

Let it go for it divides your loyalties?

Peace. :)

so, i don't just come out and tell everyone that i'm into metal, and that means i'm ashamed of it? Hell no, i'm damn proud to be a metal head. I just have the thought to take into consideration that if i went up to everyone saying so, they wouldn't care, no sense in wasting time eh? Besides, most of my oldest friends are good christians and know i'm into it, does the whole church know? no, because i don't see a reason.

and what made me mad is that you doubt my christianity simply because I'm into something you feel is evil, too bad asswipe, get over it, you're not my lord and savior and you have no power to say what i am and what i am not, or what i do, or what i don't.

and i feel sorry that you were a tool with metal, sheesh, who let's themselves be influenced by the stuff anyway? "up to the point of suicide"? Don't make me laugh, blame yourself and the way you lived, not a bunch of notes put together to someone's stupid words...

Seriously, your are the kind of christian what drives others away from christianity, you, my friend, are the one feeding others to satan.

Imagine, someone totally oblivious to christianity, only hearing that it's an awsome thing, meets you, and you find out they like metal and being to judge them as you have done so many here, how would they react to meeting someone of this 'awsome religion' they heard about? Nice job being all-accepting and understanding of others...

Reactions: blackwasp
Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟9,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Opethian said:
I don't have any music from Cannibal Corpse, Incantation, Six Feet Under, Deicide, Mortician, Dying Fetus, Konkhra, Cryptopsy, Venom or Deceased. I can't tell you anything about those bands, but from what I can see from the other bands you mentioned, I'm pretty sure they're not satanic.

Cannibal Corpse is the stereotypical death metal band, with lyrics about killing, gore, grotesque-ness, etc. pretty much stupid stuff
slightly the same is Deicide, while their lyrics aren't like CC's, they put to use the 'shockingness' just the same, their lyrics are typically anti-christian.

and both suck...

Upvote 0

Macewindu77815

I'm trying real hard to be the shepard.
Jan 5, 2004
Taxachusetts
✟9,883.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hold your hats everyone...AmongstTheFlock is back...where are the mods? I thought that we weren't supposed to be debating the ethics of whether or not secular music is wrong to listen to as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Theogonia

Jan 9, 2006
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
RenewingMyMind, you condradict yourself. First you said Yam was spreading his metal propaganda around the church, then when he says he doesn't flaunt what he listens to, you say he's ashamed of it.

RenewingMyMind said:

Obviously, you don't have a clue what a Pagan is. Not being Christian does not make you a Pagan. Pagans are similar to Wiccans, nature worshipers. So you're implying that Yam is a nature worshiper because he listens to metal music?

RenewingMyMind said:
That name is Jesus and he loves you and one day you will bow before his throne whether out of love or out of fear. Hopefully it will be out of love and respect, otherwise you will be in hell and torment forever.

We will bow before God's throne. Jesus isn't God.

Upvote 0