Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yam Kimil said:
no, actually it's a sign of beliefs.

some use it to shock people with their 'saTanizm!" or it just might be that they are pagan...

either way, its like having a cross on the album cover and not meaning anything...
The_Ozzman_Cometh.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne - The Ozzman Cometh

Marilyn_Manson_Holy_Wood.jpg

Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood

...It's a symbol. Symbols have various meanings attributed to them. However, don't assume it's a statement of belief.

Upvote 0

Rexorcist

Feb 27, 2006
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,194.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd find an 11 page thread on Opeth here. I'm not surprised by how it turned out though.
But I thought some of you would find it interesting that I did a lot of the photography for the Deliverance and Damnation albums and I'm a Christian. And the old lady in the artwork is a Quaker.
;)

Mike from Opeth has said on several occasions that most of his lyrics are pointless and just random strings of poetry.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
CompromiseOurFulcrum said:
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] your God, your Lord, your Christ.

^ uhmmm ok... Your on a CHRISTIAN forum. Why did you even make it appoint to say that? Totally irrelevant. That is a sin, you just took the Lord's name in vain. That can also be considered blasphemy if you look at things at other angles... If you are Christian or religious in any way I suggest you repent or suffer the consequences.. Or you could just leave...

Upvote 0

Lopolik

Mar 12, 2015
Czech republic
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I started to like Opeth more in the year 2013. The first time I heard Opeth was in 2008, the album Still Life. That album is legendary. It is about a dude, who is banished from his country, and later seeks to find his love, who had become a nun. Then he tries to take her away, but they kill her, because of him, he doesn't follow their beliefs, is probably atheist. It is a true love story, with a sense of hope in the end (White cluster song) where he sees angels, and is convinced that he was wrong (in disbelieving God) and is granted a relief in death he meets God. Anyway, that's how I see this. It is a beautiful story.
Anyways, some say Opeth have satanic songs, but as I read all their lyrics, I find it to be false. They mostly sing about emotions, Nature, love, hate, sorrow, sadness and so on.
For me they are great musicians, and I don't see anything wrong with being a Christian and enjoy metal music in general.
Of course I want to stay away from the Satanic bands like Cradle of filth, Deicide, etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
✟15,136.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Ah, Opeth. I used to love 'em, but they took such a stylistic turn on their two most recent albums that I just can't enjoy them. But they had used to strike a perfect balance, tonally, between beauty and ugliness... "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Aquadoodle:
Not sure what relevance it has to Opeth, but the vulgar/blasphemous quote from CompromiseOurFulcrum is a line from the song "Judith" by the band "A Perfect Circle." The singer's mother (the Judith in question) had been paralyzed for years as the result of some misfortune; yet she maintained her Christian faith and accepted it as God's will. The singer cannot accept the idea that a good God would have had such a will for his mother. The lyric in context goes,

"F--- your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you"

It's actually quite a poignant song that reveals the turbulent emotions of a worldly man struggling to wrap his mind around the "foolishness of God" and the apparently insane profundities of Christian faith.

Upvote 0

Lopolik

Mar 12, 2015
Czech republic
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know many things about Maynard from tool and Perfect circle.
Actually I think Maynard believes in God, he only was angry at him at times like Judith song. But note that he made 10 000 days with Tool, and the song Wings for Marie was dedicated to his mother, who was paralyzed for many years.. And I think that album has some God references and is a bit hopeful. This being said I love tool too, and I do not think they are anti-God, or anything like that, actually I think they have some songs which glorify God.
As For Opeth, I like their older style, like the Ghost Reveries, and earlier albums. The new album is actually good. Pale Communion.. It has their usual sadness, or melancholy, but I think Mikael from Opeth is going to find God, and his talent in music is great, so I think he will glorify God, because his musical talent is from God.

Upvote 0

AhavaYashaYah

Oct 16, 2019
Chicago
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love this band, I somewhat know their lyrics but not enough also I wanted to know what you guys think, satanic or not. Because to an extent they can be and to an extant it could have christ like meanings.

For an example in Delieverence it could be about satan or it could be about Jesus and the temptation he went through.

According to the singer/founder of the band he was into occult stuff and purposefully put satanic lyrics/sentiments in at least one album (link to info below).
Just because someone doesn’t specifically say something doesn’t mean it isn’t intended that way.
They renamed certain songs of the album so it didn’t sound obviously satanic but the theme and intent is the same... So if you hear them give glory or reverence to something/someone on at least the orchid album, it is satan... One song originally had the name baphomet in it which is one of the names for satan.
We have to be careful when reverence is given but it is unclear to who. Even when someone for instance says “all glory be to god” when they aren’t known to be Christian. Because how do you know which god they mean unless they say His Name, YeshaYah/Jesus Christ. The Bible doesn’t say “there is power in His Name” for no reason, we need to be specific and be in His Spirit and identity. Not some wishy washy vagueness or embarrassment to call His name.
Being vague is like shouting “mom” in a shopping mall and all random moms turn their head regardless of whether they’re yours or not.
So we have to be specific and intentional of the identity of our God and if music is ambivalent about it then it’s safer to assume the worst and not to get caught up in it.

Find his quotes on the satanic subjects on the album via this Wikipedia page for their “orchid” album. His quotes about satanic references are under the header “Lyrics”.

Orchid (album) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums