Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Anyone doing/has done the OMAD regimen? What kind of results did you get and any suggestions or advice. What should be my expectations going this route?
For those of us with problems with low blood sugar, this would be a disaster.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Intermittent Fasting
I do this quite often.
My DH has been doing it recently also. He used to be Diabetic but diet got that fixed (No processed foods, sugar, grains etc. Keto type diet. ie low carb, high fat. ) Hes finding IF is actually balancing his blood sugar even better. (he normally test high end normal but with IF is testing normal-normal) and starting to loose some weight (hes Never been able to loose weight before )

A really good source of info on fasting, why to do it, what it does, benefits, science of fasting, who shouldn't do it, etc is Jason Fung.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Intermittent Fasting
I do this quite often.
My DH has been doing it recently also. He used to be Diabetic but diet got that fixed (No processed foods, sugar, grains etc. Keto type diet. ie low carb, high fat. ) Hes finding IF is actually balancing his blood sugar even better. (he normally test high end normal but with IF is testing normal-normal) and starting to loose some weight (hes Never been able to loose weight before )

A really good source of info on fasting, why to do it, what it does, benefits, science of fasting, who shouldn't do it, etc is Jason Fung.

Yeah I started experimenting with IF in 2016, just to see. I was curious how it would work, since two months prior I lost 8 lbs going to the gym. It felt unnatural though depending so much on the gym so looking up how to adjust my diet I found IF and keto.It work super well and I lost an extra 15 lbs and kept it off all 2017 despite not being consistent.

It's only really noticing the really bad eating habits I did the past three months and actually gaining back all the weight, did I decide to not only do IF, but OMAD with keto.Working on being consistent but so far it hasn't been a week yet and I lost 6 lbs. I know my obesity is a factor on the rate of the lost and I'm pretty comfy doing it, it's just a matter of seeing it through and not slack. So eager to seek advice and assistance anyway I can to be consistent.

I'll look into Jason Fung thanks!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I started experimenting with IF in 2016, just to see. I was curious how it would work, since two months prior I lost 8 lbs going to the gym. It felt unnatural though depending so much on the gym so looking up how to adjust my diet I found IF and keto.It work super well and I lost an extra 15 lbs and kept it off all 2017 despite not being consistent.

It's only really noticing the really bad eating habits I did the past three months and actually gaining back all the weight, did I decide to not only do IF, but OMAD with keto.Working on being consistent but so far it hasn't been a week yet and I lost 6 lbs. I know my obesity is a factor on the rate of the lost and I'm pretty comfy doing it, it's just a matter of seeing it through and not slack. So eager to seek advice and assistance anyway I can to be consistent.

I'll look into Jason Fung thanks!
My 2c...sometimes sustained Bible study can usefully involve skipping a meal...

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My 2c...sometimes sustained Bible study can usefully involve skipping a meal...

I do happen to do bible reading during this times but never for the intentions of treating it as a spiritual fast. But I can consider it.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If one is very active, one meal a day is not going to sustain energy levels. In more sedentary people, you may be fine.

Well the technique is to get all your calories and nutrients in one meal, that way your body has a chance to process it more efficiently for weight loss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the technique is to get all your calories and nutrients in one meal, that way your body has a chance to process it more efficiently for weight loss.
Do you have an example what that one meal would look like? Just curious... :)

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you have an example what that one meal would look like? Just curious... :)
I can tell you what I usually do.

I pick a time where I would probably be hungry enough to eat a big meal without the need to eat late at night. So lunch time at work is the only time I eat.

Then I decided to establish a sort of template of meal I want. So I usually do soup/huge coffee with heavy cream, big salad and desert.

Since I'm doing keto (low carb high fats) I focus on incorporating things that are very high in fat.

So example, my meal today was a big salad with a big piece of leftover chicken and some olive oil and black pepper, one whole avocado, I had a small bowl of creamy mushroom soup, and then a huge smoothie made with raspberry, blueberry, spinach,and organic heavy cream.

In between I have black coffee with stevia, tea, or some sort of water, sometimes I put lemon, acv, or a pinch of salt for minerals.

I do take a multivitamin, fish oil, and Vit D, but that's for more because I use to struggle with depression on cold days.

Mind you though, on sundays I eat twice, because I'm with family. Or sparingly my friends want to go out. At those times I at least try to stay keto and small meals.

I only been in for about less than two weeks, but people comment that I've seen very happy lately and if I've been drinking/ found the love of my life lol

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Break...Fast.. :)= the time that you break your fast .. In my case that will be in about 4 days but you can have Break-fast whenever you choose.. (i mean even if your fasting you will eventually need to break-fast.. whether its 24 hours, 3 days or 3 months....)
A lot of needing "3 meals a day" is habitual.. Ie your used to eating at a certain time so your body tells you your hungry. but there are ways to reset that learned behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Problem is, the body isn't real good at absorbing all of the nutrients the body needs in a day from a single meal and will rid itself of nutrients it can't absorb at that time and if excess calories are in play, likely store as fat.

Now, intermittent fasting can increase fat burning, if it is done properly. If a person is highly active, they are going to have serious issues, getting all the nutrients they need in one meal, to meet all their requirements, to sustain a high level of physical activity. For sedentary folks, different story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Problem is, the body isn't real good at absorbing all of the nutrients the body needs in a day from a single meal and will rid itself of nutrients it can't absorb at that time and if excess calories are in play, likely store as fat.

Now, intermittent fasting can increase fat burning, if it is done properly. If a person is highly active, they are going to have serious issues, getting all the nutrients they need in one meal, to meet all their requirements, to sustain a high level of physical activity. For sedentary folks, different story.

It takes about 12 hours to digest so I think that's a good amount of time to take in nutrients. And the goal is to make sure you don't go over. But naturally, you would eat less anyways because your appetite would be more supressed and no one can normally eat that much in one sitting. At least if it's healthy food.

But I do agree this isn't for everyone's but it's an option for those seeking for a way to organize how they eat to better aid in weight loss. This would be harder for those working out hard since they would require a lot more calories in that case two meals is fine. But I'm just doing office work and maybe light foot work when visiting a site. It's just helped me not be dependent on working out. I like big meals, and this caters to that without me jeopardizing myself and encourages me to eat healthier since it's only one meal.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This would be harder for those working out hard since they would require a lot more calories in that case two meals is fine.

Except that (assuming your carrying more fat stores than is optimal) you simply get those calories from your existing fat stores once your body is done burning what you get from your meal.
Theres quite a few top end athletes that are now doing there workouts & competitions in a fasted state & for a reason.. once your body re-learns how to run on its fat stores they are getting much better results
(Obviously people who are underweight shouldn't fast,as they wouldn't have the resources to draw on. )

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I do agree this isn't for everyone's but it's an option for those seeking for a way to organize how they eat to better aid in weight loss. This would be harder for those working out hard since they would require a lot more calories in that case two meals is fine. But I'm just doing office work and maybe light foot work when visiting a site. It's just helped me not be dependent on working out. I like big meals, and this caters to that without me jeopardizing myself and encourages me to eat healthier since it's only one meal.
It sounds like it would be good for those who struggle with portion control, IMO. For myself, on the days I workout I eat more because I feel the need to replace calories I just spent in doing my workout. I've been told I eat like a bird so I'm more of what they would call a "grazer" but I make sure my "pickin's" are in the healthy range. :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It takes about 12 hours to digest so I think that's a good amount of time to take in nutrients. And the goal is to make sure you don't go over. But naturally, you would eat less anyways because your appetite would be more supressed and no one can normally eat that much in one sitting. At least if it's healthy food.

That is assuming, all of the nutrients you need daily in one meal would be there and the body was able to absorb them all from one meal. The reason your urine is so yellow shortly after taking a vitamin, is the body riding itself of a good portion of what was in the vitamin, because it only can absorb so much, at one time.

Upvote 0