Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've searched and seen a couple threads here about this but I'm just curious If anyone has any personal experience with the Carnivore Diet that they can share? A friend from church told me about it a week ago, she said her husband has been doing it for about six months and lost 100lbs. I know there's other similar accounts as well, Jordan Peterson did it and lost 45lbs with a diet of strictly "meat, salt, and water".

I really like the idea of it but my hangup is the cost of it all. I have a good income but it's all tied up in paying off debt and cost-of-living expenses. I've read a couple articles about how to do it on the cheap but I don't know if it's worth it or not, like if doing it cheaply would somehow diminish the results.

If anyone on here has done it can you share maybe what kind of results you got, how long you did it for, and (if you don't mind) what it cost financially to commit to it for that long.

Thanks!

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I really like the idea of it but my hangup is the cost of it all. I have a good income but it's all tied up in paying off debt and cost-of-living expenses. I've read a couple articles about how to do it on the cheap but I don't know if it's worth it or not, like if doing it cheaply would somehow diminish the results.

If carnivore diet is going to give you stress due to the cost, it's not going to be worth it. Keep in mind that stress is the #1 killer, even worse than bad diet (unless you're literally eating poison).

Reactions: Maggiex
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've searched and seen a couple threads here about this but I'm just curious If anyone has any personal experience with the Carnivore Diet that they can share? A friend from church told me about it a week ago, she said her husband has been doing it for about six months and lost 100lbs. I know there's other similar accounts as well, Jordan Peterson did it and lost 45lbs with a diet of strictly "meat, salt, and water".

If anyone on here has done it can you share maybe what kind of results you got, how long you did it for, and (if you don't mind) what it cost financially to commit to it for that long.

Thanks!
You do need vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables and legumes. For the most part corn and wheat are somewhere between non-essential to detrimental.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I follow a whole foods diet that encompasses seasonality (eating what's in season), ancient grains (einkorn, spelt, etc.), fermented foods and healthy fats. I avoid refined sugars and grains and processed food. It doesn't have a name. It's the way people used to eat before commercialization took over.

Sally Fallon is an excellent resource on diet and the food industry. You'll learn a lot and can implement better practices without breaking the bank. Mary's Nest covers the same on YouTube and provides instruction on building your pantry and healthy meals.

Keep in mind it's a journey. You don't have to do everything at once. Meat is expensive and is less so when purchased in bulk. Which requires a freezer. Buy more space than you need! You'll be glad you did. You can purchase an 1/8th to a whole for beef and similar portions for pork and other animals.

I've purchased both in the past. I paid $4.19 per pound for grass-fed beef and $3.67 for pork. That includes all cuts to my specification, offal, bones, and lard. If you don't know where to start look at better restaurants. Explore their menus. They usually cite the source of their meat. Contact them and see if they sell to consumers. That's how I found my farmer.

The greatest cost savings occur by making things yourself. You can buy them at a store or farmers market but it adds up. Begin with the things you eat the most. That's where you'll see the biggest return.

I mentioned ferments which includes pickles, sauerkraut, kombucha and so on. They're good for beginners. You don't need a lot of get started.

As for ancient grains, they're an older species that maintain their nutritional integrity. I purchase the grain and grind as needed. Wheat Belly discusses the problems with modern wheat. If you'd like to learn more Grains & Grits is doing a series on the subject. She covers one each month.

I use sourdough for baked goods. Savory and sweet. And make my own.

I don't drink soda, rarely have takeout, and make my own snacks (cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.).

We're switching to raw milk and use a local source for pasteurized dairy.

Whenever possible I purchase fruits and vegetables from the farmers market. They're normally done in bulk throughout the season through farmers I've developed a relationship with. I don't pay market prices.

We get chicken, duck eggs, tallow, bones and chicken feet from there as well. I use conventional grocers sparingly. Azure Standard has greater variety, a plethora of organic options and they're a Christian company.

Prioritize independent sources. Develop a go-to list of your must-haves. Things sell out and shortages happen. Having alternatives makes certain you won't run out.

Keep in mind it's a journey. Be mindful of your commitments in light of your goals and integrate activities and changes into your life one step at a time.

I make most of my larder but I'm home all day and that didn't happen overnight. I do a little more each season. Making tweaks where necessary. That's the best approach if you want to develop habits you'll maintain.

Don't be afraid of shortcuts. You may like the idea of a fresh loaf but little time to shape them. Get a bread maker! Patronize the companies producing the things you like. You can't do it all and that's okay.

I've lived this way for many years. In my opinion you'll see the biggest shift if you eliminate commercial grains. Wheat belly is real and that's first thing that goes when we switch. You'll burn a lot of fat as well.

It's important to understand the correlation between commercial farming and modern food. That takes a toll on the soil and the end result is less effective. You may yield an apple but you don't get its nutrients. Committing to know your food's origin is an integral part of better health. Choose local when possible and get to know them if you can. Your body will thank you.

~bella

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The carnivore diet is an internet phenomenon, but in reality few people eat this way and there's little scientific rationale for the diet. You're also guaranteed to get nutritional deficiencies like scurvy if you avoid fruits and vegetables in your diet. Scurvy might sound like an annoyance that sailors once got, but it actually can be quite serious, involving organ failure and death.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do need vitamins and minerals found in fruits and vegetables and legumes. For the most part corn and wheat are somewhere between non-essential to detrimental.
Kicking out corn and wheat (especially American wheat) is probably the second biggest benefit of the carnivore diet (besides kicking out junk food in general).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks!

People will see significant benefit for at least a few months or years from almost any diet that eliminates American wheat, processed vegetable oils, and junk food.

Beyond that, look with a jaundiced eye at any diet that excludes an entire macro group. No native culture in history excluded an entire macro group, and that's not for no reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People will see significant benefit for at least a few months or years from almost any diet that eliminates American wheat, processed vegetable oils, and junk food.

Beyond that, look with a jaundiced eye at any diet that excludes an entire macro group. No native culture in history excluded an entire macro group, and that's not for no reason.

Carnivores are mitigating it with supplements. However, the is a bad side to food supplements. Their concentrated, nutrient-rich package is often hard on the kidneys and could potentially disrupt gut chemistry. While it won't necessarily result to food poisoning or diarrhea, it can negatively affect gut bacteria colony.

The carnivore diet itself is harder on the kidneys.

Both things can make you drink excessive amounts of water which can potentially lead to "water poisoning".

It just isn't sustainable and can also put a major strain on resources, not just on an individual basis but also on a national basis if everyone would hop on the carnivore bandwagon.

It just shows how far and how evil people would go to get rich. These carnivore influencers are getting rich from their misinformation. They don't really care how they could potentially ruin people's lives, ruin the whole world as long as they can spend their remaining lives in luxury. Short term gain in place of long-term sustainability.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Carnivores are mitigating it with supplements. However, the is a bad side to food supplements. Their concentrated, nutrient-rich package is often hard on the kidneys and could potentially disrupt gut chemistry. While it won't necessarily result to food poisoning or diarrhea, it can negatively affect gut bacteria colony.

The carnivore diet itself is harder on the kidneys.

Both things can make you drink excessive amounts of water which can potentially lead to "water poisoning".

It just isn't sustainable and can also put a major strain on resources, not just on an individual basis but also on a national basis if everyone would hop on the carnivore bandwagon.

It just shows how far and how evil people would go to get rich. These carnivore influencers are getting rich from their misinformation. They don't really care how they could potentially ruin people's lives, ruin the whole world as long as they can spend their remaining lives in luxury. Short term gain in place of long-term sustainability.

It probably does lead to weight loss, and that in itself could improve some markers of health somewhat. Protein has a higher thermic effect than any other macronutrient- the body has to expend 2-4 times the calories to burn a gram of protein as fuel, as it does carbohydrate. However, as Dr. Michael Greger points out the goal is to not fit into a smaller casket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Thanks!
This sounds a lot like the early version of the Atkins diet. It did not help Atkins. I know someone who went on the Atkins diet. It's not something you can do for long. He lost some weight but put it back on again in no time. The formula is real simple. Lower calorie intake and increase calorie consumption, i.e. eat less and exercise more. The Atkins diet has changed a lot over the years.

What a meat diet does achieve is reduction of useless carbohydrates, such as sugar. Cut out sweet foods, alcohol and avoid sugary soft drinks. That will do much the same thing. If I need to lose weight, that's where I start.

Meat is relatively cheap in Australia. An all meat diet is still too much for most budgets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks!
On this channel, you can find many reasons "why", many people's experience/results with the carnivore diet, interviews with medical doctors who support the carnivore diet etc.

And Anthony Chaffee's channel is full of medical information from the carnivore diet perspective:

The cost is higher than to buy plants full of water and sugar or flour-based products, of course. Because nutrition is much more dense in animal products per its weight. But it should not ruin you financially, if you have a normal income. And cheap meat or eggs is still meat and eggs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Most Americans seem to think that having a good diet is just for loosing weight... Its not. You can die or be unhealthy while being slim.

They aren't completely wrong. Being overweight tends to be correlated with alot more morbidity and mortality than being thin.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks!
And BTW, do not be alarmed you will get scurvy or that you need fruit, vegetables or legumes in your diet. This comes from people who understand neither human nutrition nor human history.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
And BTW, do not be alarmed you will get scurvy or that you need fruit, vegetables or legumes in your diet. This comes from people who understand neither human nutrition nor human history.

Vitamin C is very important and its easy to have inadequate levels for optimum health. Unlike animals like cats, humans don't synthesize their own vitamin C, and must obtain it from food.

The average human male needs about 9-10mg of vitamin C a day to prevent diseases like Scurvy, and vitamin C is degraded or destroyed by any kind of cooking that involves higher heat (like stewing, boiling, grilling, etc., commonly used to cook meat). On the other hand, an optimum level of vitamin C would involve more like 70-90mg a day to saturate the neutrophils for optimum immune functioning, ideal wound healing, and joint health (since it's involved in the synthesis of collagen and cartilage). You also need vitamin C to protect the nitric oxide cycle in the body, which is highly beneficial for cardiovascular health and athletic performance.

Upvote 0