Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I usually split my vitamin to avoid that though, but that's for urine.

For food though it's different because it's dealing with the intestines. So that process for food takes longer.

Food and vitamins are digested in the same manner.

• Haha
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Finally, people following the one meal a day diet may have an increased risk of binge eating. One meal a day: Health benefits and risks

I've been looking through alot of different articles from various websites and I always see alot of cons that really freak me out. Also, when one stops a "diet" there's always a higher risk of gaining all the weight back and then some and going back to square one. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well my DH has being doing the once a day & hes actually finding hes eating a bit less than he normally would for dinner.. (plus not eating any additional meals)

Most of the "articles" ive seen so far have been based on opinion & speculation & not based on actual studies (that's why I like the Jason Fung Dr guy as hes actually researched the studies, plus documenting the actual results from his patients as he uses fasting as part of curing diabetic patients.. & yes.. I did say "curing" as in they are getting there blood sugars & insulin back to normal & getting off all their medications etc.)

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it's what the doctor recommends for health reasons, then by all means, go for it. :) Just doesn't seem like a diet I could adapt to. I mentioned it to the kids and they're all like, "Mom, don't even start up with something like that!" LOL Oh, to have the metabolism of youth!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It takes about 12 hours to digest so I think that's a good amount of time to take in nutrients. And the goal is to make sure you don't go over. But naturally, you would eat less anyways because your appetite would be more supressed and no one can normally eat that much in one sitting. At least if it's healthy food.

But I do agree this isn't for everyone's but it's an option for those seeking for a way to organize how they eat to better aid in weight loss. This would be harder for those working out hard since they would require a lot more calories in that case two meals is fine. But I'm just doing office work and maybe light foot work when visiting a site. It's just helped me not be dependent on working out. I like big meals, and this caters to that without me jeopardizing myself and encourages me to eat healthier since it's only one meal.

Actually digestion takes longer than is commonly believed, which means that several meals can be in the pipeline at any given time.

Digestion: Duration, process, and tips

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Human bodies are designed in a way that requires nutrients and calories on a regular basis through out the day. Fasting on a regular basis is not a good idea. I wouldn't fast regularly without medical instruction to do so.

When you skip meals or fast, your body goes into starvation mode. In an effort to stay alive, when you do eat again, it will store your calories as fat instead of using them because it doesn't know when it might get fed again. Not eating regular meals is linked to yo-yo weight loss and higher weight gain with greater difficulty taking the weight off again.

In the beginning it probably works for a while, because you aren't having the same calories as you used to, but after a while it's going to backfire. I don't believe it can be sustained longterm without negative health effects.

My ex-mother-inlaw lived this way for the entire time I knew her, claiming wonderful self control and caring about her health and waistline. At the end of the day she would eat uncontrollably. She never kept weight off, gradually getting heavier all the time. After three decades of this she could no longer loose any weight, and she was way more obese than when she first started eating only once a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anyone doing/has done the OMAD regimen? What kind of results did you get and any suggestions or advice. What should be my expectations going this route?

Cool I was just about to start a thread on this, but wanted to check if someone else did.

I started last week, so its it will be a full week at the end of today. My best friend back in California is sort a doing it with me, but he takes more liberties on things that I do. It's going really well. Had some hunger issues the first 4 days, but now I think I'm getting use to it, and I also try to have a complex carbohydrate dish as one of the things I eat in my meal to help things out.

I also think I am more inclined to go to bed earlier etc. and less burning the midnight oil, or even insomnia doing this.

It was kind of cool, I was on the verge of giving up on some foods like ice crème etc. but I don't think I have to doing this, I just need to fit them into that regime etc.

I think I'm also saving a lot of money on food. I would have been to the store by now, but I'm trying to use up certain food items before they go bad etc. to get my money out of my groceries etc.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you skip meals or fast, your body goes into starvation mode. In an effort to stay alive, when you do eat again, it will store your calories as fat instead of using them because it doesn't know when it might get fed again.

Fasting is a method for complete rest. When you abstain from food your digestive system, the engine of your body, rests allowing other restorative functions to proceed without competing for the energy. Activity requires food. Cease activity for a time and caloric needs decrease as well. Many restorative functions cannot take place if the body is in working mode and capturing all the energy.

Of course your body doesn't know when it will be fed and in most cases doesn't really care as hunger usually disappears in a day or two of beginning the fast. Many experienced fasters don't resume eating until their hunger returns which in many cases can be a week or longer. Some feel no hunger even when doing light exercise such as walking during their fast. Experienced faster's look forward to the energy, mental clarity, and calm peacefulness that are typically felt as a result of a prolonged fasts. Also problems that seemed like mountains are often reduced to molehills.

Your body will respond to your mental state as well. If you think you are starving by fasting you will probably feel hunger throughout. However if you are the master of your body you will likely have no hunger issues.

Fasting is the most misunderstood, maligned, and misused gift that God has given mankind for the benefit of our physical, mental, as well as our spiritual health. We are "destroyed for lack of knowledge". The corruption of true knowledge of fasting is proof positive of this statement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Many restorative functions cannot take place if the body is in working mode and capturing all the energy.

Yeah I watched a video on that a few months back. One of the biggies that has not talked about until recently is cell replacement. That only happens when your body doesn't have insulin, and happens much slower if you are grazing throughout the day, like I often was at least when at home etc.

But I think for me, this diet is a God send. When I was younger, I got better results from simply making moderate changes like cutting out deserts and junk food, and eliminating second helpings, and just cutting calories in general, but that has really diminished a lot now that I'm getting close to being a senior citizen.

And I think doing it will help me with the religious fasting too, as far as getting broken in for it etc. It was a big culture shock when I joined the Coptic church, and fell off the wagon on it after being lapsed etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I watched a video on that a few months back. One of the biggies that has not talked about until recently is cell replacement. That only happens when your body doesn't have insulin, and happens much slower if you are grazing throughout the day, like I often was at least when at home etc.

But I think for me, this diet is a God send. When I was younger, I got better results from simply making moderate changes like cutting out deserts and junk food, and eliminating second helpings, and just cutting calories in general, but that has really diminished a lot now that I'm getting close to being a senior citizen.

And I think doing it will help me with the religious fasting too, as far as getting broken in for it etc. It was a big culture shock when I joined the Coptic church, and fell off the wagon on it after being lapsed etc.

It is true that many who want to fast would be better advised to give up some of their bad dietary habits in preparation for a fast. Mental preparation through education is also highly recommended. And if one has serious health or mental problems it might be advisable to seek professional advice regarding the advisability of fasting.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not intentionally. My appetite wanes in warmer months and busy seasons. I'll have coffee and a meal and I'm content. But it messes with my metabolism due to a short sleep cycle (5-6 hours max). I was advised to eat more and increase my protein intake. It's a little low for obvious reasons. Most days I get two meals. Three is rare.

I've fasted in the past 1-2 days per week for several years. I don't do it now. I'll resume it when the Lord gives me a green light. I'd recommend taking vitamins and supplements as needed. I use Mary Ruth's. They're more expensive but organic and very good. If your resources are tight they offer financial assistance.

~bella

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
not OMAD, but I went to 2 meals per day couple years ago...did two meals for a year

lost weight & although now back to 3 meals, I have not gained any back

instead, I continue to lose wt, albeit at a slow, slow pace
my body is now used to eating less, thankfully

someone told me it was "intermittent fasting"

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Anyone doing/has done the OMAD regimen? What kind of results did you get and any suggestions or advice. What should be my expectations going this route?

I do this sometimes, especially if I decide to fast so I make my body ready for fasting. I don’t excercise those days at all so I don’t know how would it affect to those people who do a lot physical activity.. to me, it fits well. Haven’t seen any problems. But for example if you seek to lose weight would be wise to keep your bloodsugar steady so keep eating several times a day but smaller portions/fruits/vegetables/berries.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I practice time-restricted eating. Eating alot in the evening isn't good for blood lipids or weight loss.

I eat three small meals per day and a few snacks (fruit, smoothies, or a few nuts). I stop eating after 3 P.M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mak33y

Soar Like An Eagle
Jul 29, 2006
Manila
✟27,794.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been doing IF ever since, I skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner. It's when I am most lean I think, in 2008 I've started working in a company where all the staff are eating breakfast because there's a canteen next door to out workplace, so I started eating breakfast too, over the years I realized that I began to gain weight... after 10 years I quit that job and now I am doing OMAD, Morning at 9am I will drink coffee, I start eating a meal around 4-5pm and that's it, at first my coffee was with cream and sugar, now I switched to black coffee sometimes iced, sometimes hot. Water all through out the day. My meal at first is a lot although once a day but the portion is still big, now I am slowly cutting the portion down too. Before my OMAD I started with 2 meals a day IF 6 hour window, then progress to OMAD 2 hours window, feels great. After this I will do my water fast for a day then progress to 3 days to achieve detox and autophagy. Getting there... make your Steps gradual and slowly and progress to achieve your goal, my goal is to reach autophagy and control my eating habit for good and switch my foods to a more healthier lifestyle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0