USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I've read a lot of the threads about ocd related vows to God and I have dealt with basically the same exact thing. I fear that I will or have made many vows, and most of them have to with "If this random event happens, then I promise to not do...(something that I really want to do). These thoughts never go away and I don't I'm so worried that I have made vows. These vows always are related to my two favorite things to do, soccer and video games. I know that once you make a vow to God, you can't take it back so I'm worried I will never be able to play soccer or games again.

Usually I am able to just ignore most of the vows as OCD related and just push the thoughts aside, but there have been a fee occasions that were more than just intrusive thoughts.

The first one with video games. I was praying to God and randomly the thought came that said "I'm not giving video games up for you." And I immediately countered the thought with "yes I do" so I worries that I made a vow to give up games. I didnt mean to I just wanted to counter the thought.

The second one was with soccer and this one i purposely thought. Its so confusing but i will do my best to explain it. So I was analyzing my vow thoughts to see if i actually made one, and in order to do this I purposely thought "i promise not to soccer" in order to give myself an example of what a real promise would sound like. I did not mean it to be a promise, but when I thought it I felt like I was talking to God. I am so stressed right now because I feel guilty everytime I play video games or soccer. I know there are many others who have these same thoughts, but I am having trouble writing these two specific ones off as OCD.

Can anyone please tell me what they think of these thoughts and if I should keep these vow thoughts. I have felt very distant from God since these thoughts came. I've been told that God knows my heart but I'm just so worried to break any promises.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I've read a lot of the threads about ocd related vows to God and I have dealt with basically the same exact thing. I fear that I will or have made many vows, and most of them have to with "If this random event happens, then I promise to not do...(something that I really want to do). These thoughts never go away and I don't I'm so worried that I have made vows. These vows always are related to my two favorite things to do, soccer and video games. I know that once you make a vow to God, you can't take it back so I'm worried I will never be able to play soccer or games again.

Usually I am able to just ignore most of the vows as OCD related and just push the thoughts aside, but there have been a fee occasions that were more than just intrusive thoughts.

The first one with video games. I was praying to God and randomly the thought came that said "I'm not giving video games up for you." And I immediately countered the thought with "yes I do" so I worries that I made a vow to give up games. I didnt mean to I just wanted to counter the thought.

The second one was with soccer and this one i purposely thought. Its so confusing but i will do my best to explain it. So I was analyzing my vow thoughts to see if i actually made one, and in order to do this I purposely thought "i promise not to soccer" in order to give myself an example of what a real promise would sound like. I did not mean it to be a promise, but when I thought it I felt like I was talking to God. I am so stressed right now because I feel guilty everytime I play video games or soccer. I know there are many others who have these same thoughts, but I am having trouble writing these two specific ones off as OCD.

Can anyone please tell me what they think of these thoughts and if I should keep these vow thoughts. I have felt very distant from God since these thoughts came. I've been told that God knows my heart but I'm just so worried to break any promises.
God is a God of mercy and compassion. God knows your heart, which is much more accurate reflection of who you are and your faith. Intrusive thoughts, everyone has them. And most of the time we are able to dismiss them, but sometime they do have a lasting effect in our mind, but Jesus tells us that He faithful and just to forgive us our sins when we repent of them. Have a good prayer/talk with God. If you repent, Christ tells us that He will forgive us.

Upvote 0

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Wow, I've been through this same exact situation you're going through.

You haven't done anything wrong, my friend. You love Video games and Soccer, and there is nothing wrong with that. God knows what is in your heart, and he knows you wouldn't do anything bad to him or yourself.

Sometimes when we pray, the Devil can interfere and bother us with false, and intrusive thoughts, which was what probably happened to you.

If we have done something wrong, God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit will let us know. They will let us know of our wrong doings in a healthy, and positive manner.

Those specific feelings of guilt, and condemnation you have are not coming from God. It is coming from the devil who is trying to steal your enjoyment of your two favorite hobbies, Video games and Soccer.

Keep playing games and Soccer! God knows you are a great person, and he wants you to enjoy your hobbies. When it is time for you to make a vow, or you are unsure when to make a vow, God will show you the way. He will show you the way in a positive, and helpful manner that will make you feel good about yourself and not through guilt and confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like some kind of legalistic bondage to me.
There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus. He bore the wrath and condemnation due us on the cross. Stand firm in the liberty by which we have been set free. Enjoy Him.
If the Lord wants the VG and soccer to go He has His ways without you feeling condemn. Praise and worship Him.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith

vows should be made with thought and prayer, so that you know you have contemplated all aspects of what you are going to do.

vows also need God's help because our spirit is willing but our flesh is weak.

a thought is not a vow.

a desire is not a vow.

a vow is a something you have deeply contemplated and are ready to stand on.

imo, you don't sound like you have made a vow.

in any case, if you ever get yourself into something you can't handle, you can just ask God to help you get out of it.

we all make mistakes, and thank God, He is there to help us out of our mistakes.

either way, you are very valuable to God.

God wants us to experience His love and grace, so that He can use us powerfully.

my suggestion is relax and enjoy how good God is.

God Bless you my dear friend.

Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I just remembered another instance that causes me a lot of anxiety except this one im pretty sure was a real vow. I was sitting on my bed and i think i promised God that I wouldnt play soccer if i spilled my lemonade on my bed. I didnt end up spilling my lemonade but i still keep worrying like what if a tiny drop got on my bed that Indidnt notice. Afterwards I even checked my bed and there was not wet spots but I still couldnt get rid of the what if. Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I just remembered another instance that causes me a lot of anxiety except this one im pretty sure was a real vow. I was sitting on my bed and i think i promised God that I wouldnt play soccer if i spilled my lemonade on my bed. I didnt end up spilling my lemonade but i still keep worrying like what if a tiny drop got on my bed that Indidnt notice. Afterwards I even checked my bed and there was not wet spots but I still couldnt get rid of the what if. Any thoughts on this?

Hey Kywy, how you been?! I'll do my best to help answer your situation.

If you think you made a promise to God, then it wasn't a promise. What you experienced sounds like a form of bondage and OCD
Why would you want to make a promise to God, that by not spilling lemonade on your bed, you won't play soccer? That seems like it would be stressful, and you deserve to be happy.

Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't want to make any vows. Even when I completely convince myself that I didn't make a vow or that fullfilled it and dont need to worry, the thought comes back a day or a week later and I started double guessing again. Ugh its so annoying

• Agree
Reactions: Quad
Upvote 0

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't want to make any vows. Even when I completely convince myself that I didn't make a vow or that fullfilled it and dont need to worry, the thought comes back a day or a week later and I started double guessing again. Ugh its so annoying
I understand what you mean. Do your best to trust yourself. What you think may be the best choice, is the right choice as long as it brings you healthy peace. Im always here if you need anymore help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi I have another question about vows. Say you say something that sounds like one thing, but means something else in the form of a vow. Like for example I was doing something and then I vowed to do the other thing just to force myself to do it. But then I said "just this once." I relized after I said this that it sounded like i was trying to say this is the only time I will ever do event B. I didnt mean to bind myself for ever from doing event B again. I just meant to mean somthing like "just this once the vow has a binding affect and then afterwards and I am free to do either event." But when I thought the vow it seemed like I was saying I was only going to do event B this once, not saying the event B has to be done this time because of a vow. Sorry if this is confusing and sorry for coming back on here all the time. I just want someone elses perspective.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have you asked Christ for forgiveness? Forgiveness for making a vow that maybe you knew nothing of what you were doing or asking?

Jesus understands mistakes. That's why He offers us repentance and forgiveness, so we can take them to His throne and then leave them in the past.

Repent for it and seek Christ's forgiveness. Then KNOW that He in His Word, tells us that He forgives His Children of their sin, not because 'we' are righteous, but because 'He' is righteous.

Hold on to God's promises to all of us, in His Word.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi I have another question about vows. Say you say something that sounds like one thing, but means something else in the form of a vow. Like for example I was doing something and then I vowed to do the other thing just to force myself to do it. But then I said "just this once." I relized after I said this that it sounded like i was trying to say this is the only time I will ever do event B. I didnt mean to bind myself for ever from doing event B again. I just meant to mean somthing like "just this once the vow has a binding affect and then afterwards and I am free to do either event." But when I thought the vow it seemed like I was saying I was only going to do event B this once, not saying the event B has to be done this time because of a vow. Sorry if this is confusing and sorry for coming back on here all the time. I just want someone elses perspective.
Why are you letting this rerun in your mind. Repent and ask Christ's forgiveness. He forgives you.

CASE CLOSED.

Move on to live in love and live your life.

You know you have OCD, so don't rethink this. Tell yourself "CASE CLOSED" and then dismiss the thought. You do not have to rethink everything your OCD pops into your mind. Know that you have OCD and that this will bring about OCD in your thinking.

Recognize those thoughts and SHUT THEM DOWN. Start quoting and memorizing scripture. Get your mind off the OCD related thoughts and fill your mind with something else. You need to train yourself to shut these OCD thoughts down.

• Agree
Reactions: Kywy and Quad
Upvote 0

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're good, bro. Always keep coming back here when you need help; that's the many reasons this website is here for.

I know what you're going through and i've been through it before. It's tough, but you can't listen to these vows and ocd thoughts. They mean to do you harm, not good. The binding effect the vows can have on you is tough to break, but continue to meditate on the lord, and you will make it through.

Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you guys mean and I know God is love, but he his also Just. My mind focuses more on the just part and focusing on making sure I am right with God. It just seems like in reading the bible that I should just try to fulfill the vows just so I dont risk sinning. There are so manh verses about "paying what you owe" and "not delaying" and God "having no pleasure in fools who dont keep their vows." Like I dont want to jus try to confort myself like "oh I didnt mean it its just OCD and God knows my heart." It just seems like a really liberal mindset of just choosing what God thinks. Like how do I know for sure that God is ignoring this vows. Everyone I have talked to has said God knows my heart and I should ignore them because they are lies, but what if there not? What if Im just trying to comfort myself and decieving my concience? I dont want to sin but I dont want to give up eveything I enjoy because of these thoughts. But it seems in the Bible that not risking sinning is better than persuing what you enjoy and that I should just listen to the thoughts "just in case."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you guys mean and I know God is love, but he his also Just. My mind focuses more on the just part and focusing on making sure I am right with God. It just seems like in reading the bible that I should just try to fulfill the vows just so I dont risk sinning. There are so manh verses about "paying what you owe" and "not delaying" and God "having no pleasure in fools who dont keep their vows." Like I dont want to jus try to confort myself like "oh I didnt mean it its just OCD and God knows my heart." It just seems like a really liberal mindset of just choosing what God thinks.

There are a lot of critical bible verses that talks about what we need to do, and what our general mindset should be, but we have to apply those rules accordingly so they don't cause us pain and grief

No one is perfect. We will make mistakes in our lifetime, and that's ok, man. That doesn't mean God is going to banish us forever in hell.

Like how do I know for sure that God is ignoring this vows. Everyone I have talked to has said God knows my heart and I should ignore them because they are lies, but what if there not

When you experience these OCD thoughts and vows, do they stress you out? Does it cause you pain, grief, and annoyance? If so, it's not coming from God. God doesn't want you in mental distress, and he will do everything he can to help you out of the current situation.

Lies are deceptions, immoral acts that destroy our wellbeing; and from what I've read of your situation, these vows and thoughts you are having are lies, and they are destroying your wellbeing and are causing you grief.

What if Im just trying to comfort myself and decieving my concience? I dont want to sin but I dont want to give up eveything I enjoy because of these thoughts. But it seems in the Bible that not risking sinning is better than persuing what you enjoy and that I should just listen to the thoughts "just in case."

The more you focus on not sinning, the more you are robbing yourself of peace and enjoyment. You must try to unwind, take it easy, and have fun. Just because we do something that doesn't seem 'holy' by bible standards, doesn't mean God is going to hold that against you for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi i am back on here because i want to hear some other opinions on my situation. Like i said i feel like i have accidently made a rash vow to counter a thought. As i was praying the thought popped in my head that said "im not giving this up for u" towards God and then immediately i thought "yes i do!" to counter the negative thought. Its like i meant to say it but i didnt mean it if u understand what im saying. My mind goes back in forth between "well it may have been a rash and unintentional vow but its still a vow" and "God knows my heart and that i didnt want to make the promise. Immediately after i got panicked and told God repetitively that i didnt mean it but the OT also says u cant call ur vow a mistake. I feel hopeless...

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Quad

May 20, 2017
Topeka
✟23,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi i am back on here because i want to hear some other opinions on my situation. Like i said i feel like i have accidently made a rash vow to counter a thought. As i was praying the thought popped in my head that said "im not giving this up for u" towards God and then immediately i thought "yes i do!" to counter the negative thought. Its like i meant to say it but i didnt mean it if u understand what im saying. My mind goes back in forth between "well it may have been a rash and unintentional vow but its still a vow" and "God knows my heart and that i didnt want to make the promise. Immediately after i got panicked and told God repetitively that i didnt mean it but the OT also says u cant call ur vow a mistake. I feel hopeless...
Try to stick with the original plan. I know the OT talks about not calling your vow a mistake, but just use your best judgement, and go with how you feel. You haven't done anything wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I understand what you guys mean and I know God is love, but he his also Just. My mind focuses more on the just part and focusing on making sure I am right with God. It just seems like in reading the bible that I should just try to fulfill the vows just so I dont risk sinning. There are so manh verses about "paying what you owe" and "not delaying" and God "having no pleasure in fools who dont keep their vows." Like I dont want to jus try to confort myself like "oh I didnt mean it its just OCD and God knows my heart." It just seems like a really liberal mindset of just choosing what God thinks. Like how do I know for sure that God is ignoring this vows. Everyone I have talked to has said God knows my heart and I should ignore them because they are lies, but what if there not? What if Im just trying to comfort myself and decieving my concience? I dont want to sin but I dont want to give up eveything I enjoy because of these thoughts. But it seems in the Bible that not risking sinning is better than persuing what you enjoy and that I should just listen to the thoughts "just in case."
That will always lead one to the law. To trying to pacify a rightouess God through our deeds. But Christ makes it plain that there is nothing we can do to earn heaven. Now, yes obeidence is important, but without a relationship with Him, obedience will lead you to the law and never being enough and never being good enough, because that is why the law was made.

The Law is meant to show us that we have ALL fallen short of God's perfection. But remember, Jesus Christ is that perfection and in Him you don't need to be perfect. In Him, you have HIS PERFECTION and His forgiveness.

Walk in and with Him in confidence. That is faith and you must build that faith in your relationship with Him. It doesn't usually happen ovhow you how you will never not need Christ.

Don't let your OCD get it wrong. Don't let your questions shake your confidence. Pray and ask God for answers and when He shows you those answers believe.

Read your Bible and read the love passages first. Ground yourself in who God is for you as a believer.

God will forgive you if you repent. So get to repenting and then trust and have faith in His Word.
God bless you.

Upvote 0