✟15,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I know my response is bit later than when you posted, but I hope to share some comfort.

First, it sounds like you are a person who wants to have God's favor / approval. That's a good thing! I am taking a guess that you believe Jesus died for our sins and rose again, and that He is your Lord.

If that is true, not only are you promised life with Him forever, but HE is making you better day by day (2Cor 3:18). That means if you're worried that you like soccer or video games more than Him, or that they are too important, He is working in your heart to grow your love for HIM. You don't have to punish yourself to grow (HE is causing it : ). He has already declared you righteous, and He is growing you into the person He wants you to be. So enjoy your video games and your soccer to HIS glory (obviously use your freedom with wisdom).

Now to the vow, or supposed vow...

What you described does not sound like a promise or a vow. However, even if you did utter it out loud, with intention... you can still be released! A person who utters something out loud to God can ask Him to forgive them for making that vow, promise, statement, etc; and can ask God to release them. In faith, I believe our God will forgive and release us!

A reader may find comfort in looking up the Greek and Aramaic meaning for our English word "forgive". The canceling of / release from a debt is very comforting. We do not have to fulfill the debt! We can be released!

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What can help you deal with the issue of making vows, is to not make vows in the first place.

There is a scripture that records Jesus as saying, "not to swear (pledge or vow) by anything on this Earth." (Matthew 5:33-37)

By committing yourself to make no vows from now on, then you won't struggle with these thoughts anymore. Just let your communication be "yea, yea, or nay, nay."

In peace

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all. Your responses have really helped me understand a little more. I know the guilty feeling is probably just OCD but I always get the "what if" thoughts and I end up over analyzing the vow thoughts.

I would not be so quick to associate guilt, which could be conviction, I just don't know you, with OCD. While it is true there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ and who walk according to His will, it does not mean we don't have issues in our lives which need to be removed. Consider your life and actions carefully and outside of any diagnosis to understand what is and is not related.

Upvote 0