Can God forgive me of promises, vows, and Oaths that I regret making?

Jorge Estrada

Feb 12, 2024
Riverside
✟1,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I like to first start off by saying sorry for my spelling and all these errors to my story, I’m here to try my very best on explaining myself.

I’ve met this lovely woman to whom I’m engaged with, and theirs some things that I’ve said and done, where I’m reflecting on from my past that I regret making.I’d like to share as to where our relationship is at, our relationship is a long distant relationship where I’m from the United States, and she from Mexico.I’ve been A Christian for maybe a year or so.She herself is making changes little by little for her to become a Christian for me, and not just for me, but for God most importantly.

Before we were a couple. i’ve been introduced to her to which we’ve set up a date. And when getting to know someone you’ll take that person out on dates and so forth in order to get to know that person more, that’s how we’ve done it as friends.Time went by and as for me, I’ve started losing interest in her, it was like I really didn’t have feelings for her and seeing it now, at that time looking back at it.It was mostly because what I was looking for in a woman, was a woman just off her looks, and to me at that time I didn’t really see her as a attractive person. I was looking at her asking myself if she is going to be my future girlfriend and future wife.Im sure I was debating on that, I don’t remember because it’s been a while, but I’ve made the decision where I’ve ghosted her/left her on read to her messages without giving explanation as to why I’ve stopped talking to her. Told myself I’ve made a decision. I gotta stick with that decision I’ve made. it was something that I did that I’m sure I was conscience of and where I thought out on this decision.

Throughout the time when I stop talking to her, I've made these prayers where I prayed against her, to God. where I was throwing these vows, promises, oaths and I don’t remember whether I’ve said covenant too, asking God to never have her as my future girlfriend and future wife continuously and sincerely, through out my time where I’ve stopped talking to her.Through out that time I was asking where is said the same things but where asking God to promise me and so forth where I was praying against her.I had this hate towards her, Ive despised her when I did happen to see her at Mexico.Its certain that I’ve spoke bad about her and her looks behind her back.I didn’t want anything to do with her, just like I’ve mentioned, where I’ve made this decision, now I gotta stick with it.I do happen remember I think where I was saying yes to Christ and asking God to find me another future girlfriend and future wife.It went on like that for a while until I’ve gotten the opportunity to speak with her and come to her, asking her to forgive me for everything I’ve done and how I’ve left her without giving an explanation, I gave her some reasons as to why I stopped talking to her. For example, my dad wasn’t in favor of me speaking with a woman from Mexico. I also gave her an excuse of how I make decisions without thinking. I shared a little bit about my past and how I am. and she forgive me anyways and not long after we ended up dating. and when dating it came to me in my conscience were in my conscience I did not share her the main reason as to why I stopped talking to her and so I decided to make a phone call which was very hard for me share with her as to why I stop talking to her. but I said it I shared with her the main reason as to why stop talking to her and that was because of her appearance, and and how I was looking for a woman who has good looks.And she forgave me anyways on those details that I did not share with her when I first asked her to forgive me then afterwards, she asked me whether I wanted to continue on with this relationship and the things I said through that phone call, it didn’t bother her. I said yes I do wanna continue on this relationship, and how long after that we got engaged.Not to mention when we stopped talking to each other I was explaining myself to God being reasonable as to why I’ve also stopped talking to her, but it was mostly just off the looks, and as for the other details are because we had this language barrier in which now we are able to understand and speak more to each other.And the other reason is because it was long distant relationship but now we look at the suffering as a little bit, we don’t see each other for maybe like for one weekend every 2 weeks.

but after hearing all this, my question to my concern is “am I bound to fulfill those vows, promises, and oats I regret making at that time when I stop talking to her or can, God forgive me for everything, I said, and done to her when I stopped talking to her at that time?”

I have a change of heart, and I truly love her and this is definitely a concern of mine because of what I did, and what I’m reflecting on right now ,and those decisions I’ve made in the past, I truly regret.

The reason why I ask whether I’m bound or not because of the Bible now the Bible is the truth and it doesn’t contradict itself and with what I’m gonna be sharing is some Bible scriptures that speak on promises and vows and how you should fulfill them and not delay on them.

Can God forgive me or am I bound to fulfill those promises, vows, oaths and covenants that I’m
very regretful of?

‭‭Numbers‬ ‭30‬:‭2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”A man who makes a vow to the Lord or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do.“
‭‭

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭33‬-‭37‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”“You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the Lord.’ But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.“

‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭23‬:‭21‬-‭23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”“When you make a vow to the Lord your God, be prompt in fulfilling whatever you promised him. For the Lord your God demands that you promptly fulfill all your vows, or you will be guilty of sin. However, it is not a sin to refrain from making a vow. But once you have voluntarily made a vow, be careful to fulfill your promise to the Lord your God.“

‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭5‬:‭2‬-‭7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God. After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few. Too much activity gives you restless dreams; too many words make you a fool. When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it. Don’t let your mouth make you sin. And don’t defend yourself by telling the Temple messenger that the promise you made was a mistake. That would make God angry, and he might wipe out everything you have achieved. Talk is cheap, like daydreams and other useless activities. Fear God instead.“

‭‭James‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”But most of all, my brothers and sisters, never take an oath, by heaven or earth or anything else. Just say a simple yes or no, so that you will not sin and be condemned.“

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can God forgive me though, or am I bound?

I don’t know. But if you broke the promise it is done. Just pray and ask God to forgive you and release you. If you ve put too great a burden on yourself. I can’t remember about the NT. But it seems like a custom and not necessary now. So don’t make anymore. He knows our weakness. You are free of what you said in anger or repulsion. But wait until she gives her heart to the lord before you marry her. Maybe wait a year until after that. See if it takes. Don’t have sex with her either until that time.

but God never breaks a promise so remember that. What if he didn’t send Jesus or the Holy Spirit, then where would we benow. But we are a fickle people. And you being a hot blooded latin, go by you feelings sometimes like all of us. You over reacted not knowing your own heart or Gods possibilities like we all do sometimes. Sobe sure of the word before you make decisions.

1Tim 4:8

Acts 2:39

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can God forgive me though, or am I bound?
If you promised to do something that is wrong, I would say God does not want you to keep a bad promise.

Please give us one example of a vow you made and then you broke it.

Reactions: John G.
Upvote 0

Jorge Estrada

Feb 12, 2024
Riverside
✟1,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
If you promised to do something that is wrong, I would say God does not want you to keep a bad promise.

Please give us one example of a vow you made and then you broke it.
I’ve made these prayers where I prayed against her just like this story I’ve shared, correct?Was everything what I did sin?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve made these prayers where I prayed against her just like this story I’ve shared, correct?Was everything what I did sin?
I understand that you hated her because she is not attractive to you. Well, God wants us to love any and all people. Jesus says,

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46.

So, if you do not love her the way Jesus wants, yes this is a major problem.

Jesus loves people even while they are wrong. Jesus died on the cross for us while we were still enemies of God > Romans 5:10.

So, then, God wants us to love her and pray for her. So, we are sinning if we do not love her the way Jesus wants.

And I understand that you say you hated her because she is not attractive to you.

But, of course, if she abuses herself and neglects herself so she is unattractive, she needs to get self control in God's love so she can do better.

But if she is caring for herself right but she is not pleasing to your lust . . . then you are the problem!

And maybe you abuse yourself, by smoking or abusing food. And worrying can hurt our health and how well we can love. So, what about you? Are you living and loving the way God wants?

I go through correction about this, all the time. I can judge women by what they look like, but I am not loving them but looking for what lust wants to see. This is anti-love, and I can't connect with a really Christian woman while I am under the power of what women look like. This can distract and degrade me from how I could be loving.

Lust can be a big problem, then. Lust can have us judging women by what they look like, instead of caring about them and really getting to know each woman.

So, if you judge her by what your lust wants, this is anti-love.

God's word says how to share in a real love relationship >

"not in passion of lust".

This is in 1 Thessalonians 4:5.

So, lust is a wrong way to be attracted to a woman.

So, if she does not abuse herself but she is simply not very cute, this is not a Biblical reason to find her unattractive.

"'Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.'" (John 7:24)

You need to be attracted because of love. I mean, if she is a good example who is kind and caring with any and all people, and she does not abuse herself with food or smoking and worry or other damaging stuff. You need a woman who is a good example to help you to grow in Jesus- - - and so, also, she can be a good example for children so they grow up knowing how to love, and how to take care of themselves, feeding on your example.

Together you can learn how to love, "without complaining and disputing" (Philippians 2:13-16), so your good example can feed children so they know how to love and share in a close relationship.

Attraction needs to be not for pleasure for lust, then, but you are attracted because you help each other to love the way God's word says to relate.

You help each other to be humble, and get real correction with God our Father. We all need more of this. Does she help you with this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you read Genesis chapter 29?

This is about Jacob falling in love with Rachel who was attractive. And he worked seven years to get her from her father Laban. But after their wedding feast Laban pulled a switch on Jacob. He put the older sister Leah in the tent with Jacob, and in the morning Jacob woke up to realize he had mated with Leah and not Rachel! Then he got Rachel, also as his wife, by working more for Laban.

But Jacob did not love Leah.

But look what happened > Genesis 29:31.

God saw that Jacob was not loving Leah; so God kept Rachel the loved wife from having children, while Leah did get pregnant.

So . . . even though Leah was not attractive and Jacob got tricked into marrying her, even, God expected Jacob to love Leah. And He enforced this.

"Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

But this means in God's love which is so beautifully kind and tender and sweet, so better than how humans can love romantically and be picky and choosy about who they judge is good enough for them to love.

But love includes how God corrects us to take good care of ourselves, and there is emotional self control in God's love. So, we all have needed correction, then.

And God's love is family caring and sharing love, having us share tenderly not only with our own wives and children, but with all God's family >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, in marriage we can gain real correction of God, and learn how to love in a close relationship, then feed this to our children and other people of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like to first start off by saying sorry for my spelling and all these errors to my story, I’m here to try my very best on explaining myself.

I’ve met this lovely woman to whom I’m engaged with, and theirs some things that I’ve said and done, where I’m reflecting on from my past that I regret making.I’d like to share as to where our relationship is at, our relationship is a long distant relationship where I’m from the United States, and she from Mexico.I’ve been A Christian for maybe a year or so.She herself is making changes little by little for her to become a Christian for me, and not just for me, but for God most importantly.

Before we were a couple. i’ve been introduced to her to which we’ve set up a date. And when getting to know someone you’ll take that person out on dates and so forth in order to get to know that person more, that’s how we’ve done it as friends.Time went by and as for me, I’ve started losing interest in her, it was like I really didn’t have feelings for her and seeing it now, at that time looking back at it.It was mostly because what I was looking for in a woman, was a woman just off her looks, and to me at that time I didn’t really see her as a attractive person. I was looking at her asking myself if she is going to be my future girlfriend and future wife.Im sure I was debating on that, I don’t remember because it’s been a while, but I’ve made the decision where I’ve ghosted her/left her on read to her messages without giving explanation as to why I’ve stopped talking to her. Told myself I’ve made a decision. I gotta stick with that decision I’ve made. it was something that I did that I’m sure I was conscience of and where I thought out on this decision.

Throughout the time when I stop talking to her, I've made these prayers where I prayed against her, to God. where I was throwing these vows, promises, oaths and I don’t remember whether I’ve said covenant too, asking God to never have her as my future girlfriend and future wife continuously and sincerely, through out my time where I’ve stopped talking to her.Through out that time I was asking where is said the same things but where asking God to promise me and so forth where I was praying against her.I had this hate towards her, Ive despised her when I did happen to see her at Mexico.Its certain that I’ve spoke bad about her and her looks behind her back.I didn’t want anything to do with her, just like I’ve mentioned, where I’ve made this decision, now I gotta stick with it.I do happen remember I think where I was saying yes to Christ and asking God to find me another future girlfriend and future wife.It went on like that for a while until I’ve gotten the opportunity to speak with her and come to her, asking her to forgive me for everything I’ve done and how I’ve left her without giving an explanation, I gave her some reasons as to why I stopped talking to her. For example, my dad wasn’t in favor of me speaking with a woman from Mexico. I also gave her an excuse of how I make decisions without thinking. I shared a little bit about my past and how I am. and she forgive me anyways and not long after we ended up dating. and when dating it came to me in my conscience were in my conscience I did not share her the main reason as to why I stopped talking to her and so I decided to make a phone call which was very hard for me share with her as to why I stop talking to her. but I said it I shared with her the main reason as to why stop talking to her and that was because of her appearance, and and how I was looking for a woman who has good looks.And she forgave me anyways on those details that I did not share with her when I first asked her to forgive me then afterwards, she asked me whether I wanted to continue on with this relationship and the things I said through that phone call, it didn’t bother her. I said yes I do wanna continue on this relationship, and how long after that we got engaged.Not to mention when we stopped talking to each other I was explaining myself to God being reasonable as to why I’ve also stopped talking to her, but it was mostly just off the looks, and as for the other details are because we had this language barrier in which now we are able to understand and speak more to each other.And the other reason is because it was long distant relationship but now we look at the suffering as a little bit, we don’t see each other for maybe like for one weekend every 2 weeks.

but after hearing all this, my question to my concern is “am I bound to fulfill those vows, promises, and oats I regret making at that time when I stop talking to her or can, God forgive me for everything, I said, and done to her when I stopped talking to her at that time?”

I have a change of heart, and I truly love her and this is definitely a concern of mine because of what I did, and what I’m reflecting on right now ,and those decisions I’ve made in the past, I truly regret.

The reason why I ask whether I’m bound or not because of the Bible now the Bible is the truth and it doesn’t contradict itself and with what I’m gonna be sharing is some Bible scriptures that speak on promises and vows and how you should fulfill them and not delay on them.

Can God forgive me or am I bound to fulfill those promises, vows, oaths and covenants that I’m
very regretful of?

‭‭Numbers‬ ‭30‬:‭2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”A man who makes a vow to the Lord or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do.“
‭‭

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭33‬-‭37‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”“You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the Lord.’ But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.“

‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭23‬:‭21‬-‭23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”“When you make a vow to the Lord your God, be prompt in fulfilling whatever you promised him. For the Lord your God demands that you promptly fulfill all your vows, or you will be guilty of sin. However, it is not a sin to refrain from making a vow. But once you have voluntarily made a vow, be careful to fulfill your promise to the Lord your God.“

‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭5‬:‭2‬-‭7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God. After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few. Too much activity gives you restless dreams; too many words make you a fool. When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it. Don’t let your mouth make you sin. And don’t defend yourself by telling the Temple messenger that the promise you made was a mistake. That would make God angry, and he might wipe out everything you have achieved. Talk is cheap, like daydreams and other useless activities. Fear God instead.“

‭‭James‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

”But most of all, my brothers and sisters, never take an oath, by heaven or earth or anything else. Just say a simple yes or no, so that you will not sin and be condemned.“
I know you are getting a lot of comment around your issue. This can get a little confusing.

If you get a good understanding of a vow, then you will be able to see if in fact you actually made a vow to God.

From your example, you only asked God for something around your lady friend. To ask is not a vow. So based on what you said, you haven’t broken any vows made to God.

However, if you do make a vow and break it, you can also be forgiven in Christ Jesus.

Now, to be honest I see your post another way. I don’t think you are really afraid if you have broken a vow. It seems you are suffering from guilt. You have said some ugly things about someone who probably would not have said those things about you. You said you also ghosted this woman who was kind to you, and now you are trying to make yourself feel better about your behavior. But you have admitted you were wrong, yet you seem to be holding on to guilt.

Can you be such a horrible person? That’s the issue you are trying to reconcile - not breaking an oath.

If you consider we all have done horrible things in our life, no one is better than any other.

All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Don’t let your guilt cause you to make bad decisions. If you like attractive women, then that’s your prerogative. We all have our personal taste. It would be absolutely wrong to let guilt cause you to make a wrong decision to stay with someone, that you will regret later.

If she’s not attractive enough for you, then leave her alone and don’t feel guilty. Treat her kind, but don’t do anything out of guilt.

In regards to vows. It seems instead of making a vow, you asked God to side with you against one of his children - to condemn her looks - thus condemning His creation. So yes you were wrong in that respect, yet, we are forgiven in Jesus.

Just like you prayed to Gods to condemn her looks and anything else you prayed against her, you can always pray for forgiveness.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because to God, we have been saved in His Son, and because we are in Jesus, we don’t commit sin (our wrong behaviors are being transformed by the Holy Spirit) because what Jesus Has done for us through His blood is to send the Spirit of God into our being - our spirit man: We are born again; born of God. God’s Holy Spirit in us is holy thereby causing us to be holy to where we are no longer sinners, 1 John 3:9 KJV.

So, we always have an Advocate, Christ Jesus. As long as we pray and ask for forgiveness in the name of Jesus, God is faithful to forgive us, 1 John 1:9 KJV

God did not save us to remind us of our sins. He knows we must go through the sanctification process through the Spirit. God saved us to be His children. We are being conformed by His Spirit to the image of Christ, Who is the firstborn of many brethren, Romans 8:29 KJV

• Agree
Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think vows and oaths are something that require spoken word and witnesses; brash thoughts come to all of us and I'm not sure if God really holds us accountable for those. If you marry her and take a vow before God and then break that vow, then you're in a little bit more trouble, but God is just to forgive us of all things if we are truly repentant of it.

I'm not convinced you were bound to those thoughts in the first place. Sounds more like you were having a shallow temper-tantrum for lack of a good-looking wife. I sort of think like any experienced parent, God overlooks or ignores some of our little temper-tantrums and let's us grow out of it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God to never have her as my future girlfriend and future wife
We need to pray for God to slam the door if a marriage is not His plan for our lives. Marriage is difficult and the last thing we need to do is to be married to anyone that is not a part of God's plan for us and our lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jorge Estrada

Feb 12, 2024
Riverside
✟1,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
We need to pray for God to slam the door if a marriage is not His plan for our lives. Marriage is difficult and the last thing we need to do is to be married to anyone that is not a part of God's plan for us and our lives.
That’s not my question though.My question is if I’m bound to fulfill those things I regret saying and doing at the time when I stopped talking her or if God can forgive me.She recently became a Christian too

Upvote 0

Jorge Estrada

Feb 12, 2024
Riverside
✟1,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I’ve made this decision as a Christian when I stopped talking to her and I regret it.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm just curious, why did you feel the need to TELL her these things? To clear your conscience? Did it work? Did it occur to you how deeply it would hurt her and set the foundation for serious trust issues in the future?

Upvote 0

Jorge Estrada

Feb 12, 2024
Riverside
✟1,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes it have, I have shame just off what I did and I can’t forgive myself over it.She forgave me and tells me that their is no reason to ask her for forgiveness just about almost every time I see he
Yes it have, I have shame just off what I did and I can’t forgive myself over it.She forgave me and tells me that their is no reason to ask her for forgiveness just about almost every time I see h

I'm just curious, why did you feel the need to TELL her these things? To clear your conscience? Did it work? Did it occur to you how deeply it would hurt her and set the foundation for serious trust issues in the future?
Yes we’d had some problems over trust issues but they’ve been resolved.Its just me and my past over the things I’ve done I regret doing.If God can forgive me or if I’m bound to fufill those promises, vows, oaths and I think also said covenant also.Where I said I didn’t wants her as my future girlfriend and future wife as me being a Christian.Ive prayed on these things sincerely, continuously throughout the time I stopped taking to her just about everyday, and I regret it.I’m remorseful for the things I said and done

Upvote 0