Obama/Biden defense secretary. Joe Biden has been wrong on nearly every foreign policy

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How does that change the fact that Joe Biden failed miserably, in his opinion?

Hmm... that's not what he said...

Chuck Todd asked him about those comments on Meet the Press Sunday, asking if that makes it hard for him to support the former VP for president.

Gates said, “I think the important thing is the quality of his character is important. I have a lot of policy disagreements frankly with the former vice president, but I think one of the things that people will be weighing this fall is probably the character of the two contestants.”

Todd then brought up Gates’ comments in 2016 calling Trump “stubbornly uninformed” and “unqualified and unfit” to be Commander-in-Chief.
Todd asked if this is a case where “character trumps policy for you.” Gates declined to directly respond, instead saying “that will be up to the voters.”

Robert Gates Talks Biden, Trump Criticism on Meet the Press

When a republican talks like that about a fellow republican, it kinda stings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm... that's not what he said...

Chuck Todd asked him about those comments on Meet the Press Sunday, asking if that makes it hard for him to support the former VP for president.

Gates said, “I think the important thing is the quality of his character is important. I have a lot of policy disagreements frankly with the former vice president, but I think one of the things that people will be weighing this fall is probably the character of the two contestants.”

Todd then brought up Gates’ comments in 2016 calling Trump “stubbornly uninformed” and “unqualified and unfit” to be Commander-in-Chief.
Todd asked if this is a case where “character trumps policy for you.” Gates declined to directly respond, instead saying “that will be up to the voters.”

Robert Gates Talks Biden, Trump Criticism on Meet the Press

When a republican talks like that about a fellow republican, it kinda stings.

That's a different interview and show from the one in the OP's article.

The article quoted Gates on CBS's "Face The Nation" host Margaret Brennan.

Go back and read the OP's article, they have the interview with Gate's words

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's a different interview and show from the one in the OP's article.

It is, however, an accurate quote from Gates, wherein he points that Trump is unfit to be commander-in-chief.

And it also points out that even though he's a republican and Biden is a democrat, he praises Biden in spite of their policy differences.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is, however, an accurate quote from Gates, wherein he points that Trump is unfit to be commander-in-chief.

And it also points out that even though he's a republican and Biden is a democrat, he praises Biden in spite of their policy differences.

I don't know, but it's obvious it was from a biased source.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Robert Gates served under Obama/Biden

Yeah, both Obama and Biden like working with capable people, even if they were republicans. It's one of the big reasons why Biden has the skills needed to bring the country back together. And Trump's willful ignorance and undisciplined temperment is why Gates considers Donald Trump to be unfit:

"At least on national security, I believe Mr. Trump is beyond repair. He is stubbornly uninformed about the world and how to lead our country and government, and temperamentally unsuited to lead our men and women in uniform. He is unqualified and unfit to be commander-in-chief."

Do you think we should listen to Gates?

Upvote 0