• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured New Zealand/gun ban

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by DZoolander, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,100
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Its a commentary on how, when these things happen in the US, we offer thoughts and prayers and consider then wait for the next mass shooting. Meanwhile, less than a week later they’re seriously examining and changing their gun laws.

NZ saw this as the symptom of a gap in their laws and a compromise of the safety of their citizens and thus something to be addressed before it happens again.

USA sees such things as a typical Thursday, does as little as possible, then awaits the next Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Tropical Wilds

+1,100
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Which, of course, is basically the same as you and 48 other people being slaughtered in your place of worship for all the internet to watch and say “it’s bad, but...” to.

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse just horsing around

+2,651
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    It's called "south central Los Angeles"

google "Reginald Denny" if you don't understand...

4. DZoolander

DZoolander Persnickety Member

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You live in South Central? And yep - I remember Reginald Denny. I grew up in Los Angeles and was going to college at the time. And I’m nearly 50 now.

5. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,234
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Never waste the opportunity offered by a good crisis. - Niccolo Machiavelli

6. Tropical Wilds

+1,100
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I remember it like yesterday... It was when we as a nation banded together and said “If only South Central had guns, this all could have been different...”

7. DZoolander

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well everyone has their thing. Some people react to a crisis by wanting to have action on it. Some people invent crisises to create opportunity. :)

8. DZoolander

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It’s funny you bring up that kid. I just got into a long debate with some of my more liberal friends over him - because I posted that I hope that he and his family win all of those lawsuits they’re filing against CNN, Kathy Griffin, etc...and they were like “whhaaaattt?”

Because as much as I may think that Trump is a trash president - I think there are appropriate rules of engagement with people you disagree with. And how that kid was handled, with the lies, the smears, etc...they crossed all boundaries as far as I am concerned.

That being said - I haven’t seen anything with that kid that rises to the “shoot groups of people to defend himself” level.

But if I were his parents, yeah, I’d buy a gun for home protection just in case.

9. MournfulWatcher

MournfulWatcher In the beginning was the Word.

+294
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    You know gang rape is a thing right? Also, a simple semiautomatic pistol would do the trick. It would be much harder to defend oneself with a revolver in such a scenario.

10. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,234
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    The point is that they react.

The solution is already ready - as evidenced. The gag is to make the people believe it is their idea in the first place - that it is their principle they are demanding.

This is a matter of history; we should be able discern what may happen next based on what happened in the past alone.

11. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,467
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always got.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Mystery Worshipper Supporter

+8,975
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I don't think we should count on people being good and making the right decisions, that would be irresponsible. It's safer to assume the worst in people when it comes to public policy. So I don't think the idea that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" flies, unless you are totally OK with people killing other people.

13. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,234
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    But the world continues to do what they have always done - react through emotion to crises, and therefore blithely accept a solution already prepared to exploit them. It is historic.

Doing something different would be doing something different.

14. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,467
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    Are you prepared for some nut with an assault rifle to kill 5 or 10 or 20 or more every few weeks or few months. If so, then we are sacrificing these innocents... for what? We as a society must assess our priorities and act on them. And soon.

15. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,234
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Well that time to assess priorities has already come and gone - precisely because people keep reacting to the same problems, and accepting the same packaged solutions. We never learn from history, and we extol ignorance and class separation. We let other humans make fundamental decisions for our lives, and we have become comfortable with comfort - instead of fighting through fear to have sovereignty.

But, if we had the opportunity to access our priorities and act on them, then we are at the deadline. Thousands of years of trial and error, subjugation and psychological programming doesn't go away with protests and memes. This is especially true when there are already laws on the books going unenforced, and/or the laws proposed don't actually address the root. At the same time why react to something that is textbook? That is the best way to change everything - to not react to the obvious "carrot of catastrophe" hanging in front of your face.

And, for the love of the Most High God, stop rejecting the illogical. The reason the "proletariat" always lose is because we tend to laud logic - using it instead of objectivity. Logic is subjective; one's logic that the world should be an ordered, peaceful place may be completely illogical to the common terrorist. If one is bounded by one's logic, one will miss the illogical.

This is a game of psychology; reacting to the same thing is a hint one may be under the psychosis (spell). Hot war, and showdowns/shootouts are usually "third act" events.

16. DZoolander

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You’re acting like emotion is not a perfectly valid driver of logical thought. I emotionally do not like seeing 25 kindergartners killed by some maniac with a gun. That is true.

But that in no way detracts from my ability to judge different ways of attempting to control legal access to firearms by maniacs.

The emotion just impacts upon its priority in my mind. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

17. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,234
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    It doesn't matter; once you predictably emote, it is easy to exploit that emotion through repitition and suggestion. This is psychology; it works for kids and adults - it just so happens to work better on children since they are more trusting. However, there comes a time when one has to look beyond the stimuli and see the truth. How many times do shootings happen, and the first thing suggested is stricter gun laws - even if there are many laws already?

This is textbook.

Your emotion is what is being exploited. You are cheering for a solutions that has already been packaged specifically for you.

Criminals will always find a way to break the law. By the time we get to the point of realizing the pattern of the game, we would have begged for our own Draconian subjugation. Again, this is historic. What needs to happen is that people don't keep falling for the same thing, recognize the pattern, and exploit the fact that the ones exploiting you don't expect you to realize what is going on. It isn't exclusive to geopolitics and ethics; it happens in every dimension of celebrated thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. DZoolander

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Which gun laws in specific do you consider strict?

19. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,162
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I guess you have never been in an area overrun by thousands of wild rabbits making farms barren of grass. Very harmful to sheep farmers. The Epidemic of rabbits in the lower South Island of New Zealand have cost sheep farmers tens of thousands of dollars. When a farmer is confronted with 500 rabbits in one field, a single shot .22 rifle or double barrel shotgun just doesn't cut the mustard.

20. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,412
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Must be a Canadian thing, but I'm absolutely confused by America's insistence on absolute gun rights.