• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured New Zealand/gun ban

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by DZoolander, Mar 18, 2019.

1. DZoolander

DZoolander Persnickety Member

+1,864
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Look up federal relief from disability laws - and the NRA's history with them.

2. kiwimac

kiwimac Priest, Bishop-elect; Liberal, Theologian and TSSF Supporter

+1,275
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Your decision but why should we give this person any kind of recognition.

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse just horsing around

+2,639
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    This material addresses the restoration of gun-ownership rights for certain felons who do not pose a threat to the public safety and public interest. Individuals have not been able to apply for this restoration since 1992, so allowing individuals to petition a federal court for approval seems completely consistent with restoring felon's voting rights, which a certain political party loves to do by the millions...

4. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,538
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    One reason is that he’s not Voldemort so there’s probably no risk in saying his name.

Another reason might be that he committed dozens of acts of murder and he should own those crimes.

Also, I choose to say his name. I’m not imposing my preference on anybody else. But I won’t allow others to impose their preference on me either.

5. Alithis

Alithis Disciple of Jesus .

+2,014
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    true -
    but in the end (and im not expert .haha not even close ) but isnt a magazine just a metal ,spring loaded box, that pushes another round into the cavity after the spent shell is ejected ?

6. DZoolander

DZoolander Persnickety Member

+1,864
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    What does partisanship have to do with this discussion?

7. Philip_B

Philip_B Let all mortal flesh keep silence ... Supporter

+4,132
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Welcome my friend. I respect your decision.

8. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,002
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Works for a bear.

9. redleghunter

+26,002
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    95BA7573-26A1-4984-A63A-4E686E20FD82.gif
    I guess we could go with “He who shall not be named.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Philip_B

Philip_B Let all mortal flesh keep silence ... Supporter

+4,132
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The logic is that it would seem that he wants to revel in his notoriety. Jacinda Aherns proposition is that we should deny him that, and not even speak his name, so as he denied life to his victims, so we deny him the notoriety he craves. It makes perfect sense to me.

11. redleghunter

+26,002
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    One way of looking at it. Another is we would once again ignore the face of evil.

12. kiwimac

+1,275
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Don't have a lot of bears in NZ.

13. kiwimac

+1,275
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    He is still going to trial.

14. Llleopard

Llleopard Member

+154
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Other Kiwis.....just an aside....how do you feel about Queen Jacinda wearing a headscarf? To me that seems really weird. She never wears one, and now suddenly goes full scarfy. And saying they will put the Call to Prayer on TV - what the heck when even in parliament you can no longer say a prayer that mentions God.

15. kiwimac

+1,275
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    1: Wearing a headscarf was polite. It enabled those who had been traumatised to feel more comfortable than they might have.
    2: Nothing wrong with a Muslim Prayer in parliament. Goodness knows we have had more than a century of Christian ones and they have made little difference.
    3: You do know that you can mention God in parliament?

16. Darkhorse

Darkhorse just horsing around

+2,639
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Each party favors restoring rights to felons, but they favor different rights.

In the larger picture, this is New Zealand's problem, not ours.
    The attacks happened over there, and they have the responsibility for dealing with them.
    I, in the USA, would not presume to tell them how to respond.

I wish other countries would extend us this same respect.

17. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,085
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    I understand, by your posts, that you don't like guns and think that there should not be any guns.. well, maybe in the hands of trained professionals...

However, even though I understand that guns make these events much easier.. and.. that there is a lot of lives that are changed forever by these events.

This is, however, a symptom of a problem. You can take a decongestant for a runny nose... you still have a cold. You can take antihistamines for allergies... you still have allergies.

You can try to take all the guns from people.. you will still have murdering maniacs...That's even if you could get all the guns... but you cannot.. and only the guys like myself who are law abiding citizens will not have guns.

Criminals don't hand in their guns just because they are unlawful to own.

I agree that these events are awful and terrible events with significant loss of innocent lives.

Thing is..you can ban all the guns and sit back with a proud look on your face...yet you have not done anything... just grabbed some low hanging fruit and given yourself a false sense of accomplishment.

Gun laws are always the first thing that a government targets... Why? because it looks like they are doing something... all the while.. it is not.

On the flip side.. how many shots do you think that this guy would have got off if everyone had a gun on their hip.... I know it's not realistic... but let's swing the pendulum the other way for a bit and see.

Ya.... two or three men there with 9mm in a holster under their arm.... that guy is toast... burnt toast.

So, lets stop trying to hammer the law abiding citizens, who own and handle fire arms in safe and lawful manner....

Bring me a solution for the problem .... not the method.

Unless....we ban all knives, base ball bats, cars, ropes, lead pipes.....

18. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,337
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Any objections to me owning ballistic missiles? Anti-air guns? Nuclear weapons?

If so, why?

19. parousia70

parousia70 I'm livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+2,407
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I can just envision the Oprah episode now...

"Everybody look under your seat!
    You get a Nuke!, and You get a Nuke!, and You get a Nuke!, and You get a Nuke!, and You get a Nuke!, and You get a Nuke!, EVERYBODY gets a NUKE!"

20. parousia70

parousia70 I'm livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+2,407
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Exactly. If I feel the need to have an Abrams Tank with anti Aircraft capability to protect my family from an overreaching government, why shouldn't I?

If I feel the need to Have a suitcase Nuke to carry with me as a deterrent against being swarmed by an angry mob in south central LA, why should there be any government restriction against it?

Does not The 2nd amendment ensure me that right?

I tell ya what... if every law-abiding citizen had a suitcase nuke with them at all times, Violent crime would disappear in a vapor.