Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 18
1 Again the word of the Lord came to me, saying,†
2 “Son of man, what is the meaning of this parable among the children of Israel which says, ‘The fathers eat unripe grapes, and the children's teeth grind’?
3 As I live,” says the Lord, “you shall no longer use this parable in Israel.
19 “Yet you say, ‘Why does a son not bear the wrongdoing of his father?’ Because the son practiced righteousness, showed mercy, kept all My commandments and did them. Thus he will surely live.
20 But the soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the wrongdoing of his father, nor shall the father bear the wrongdoing of his son. The righteousness of a righteous man shall be upon himself, and the lawlessness of a lawless man shall be upon himself.
21 But if a lawless man turns from all the lawless deeds he commits, keeps all My commandments, does righteousness and shows mercy, he will surely live and not die.
22 None of the transgressions he commits will be remembered. In the righteousness he does, he shall live.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sounds like so much "PC" garbage to me. "Don't call them names because it may make them feel bad."
Boo hoo.
I do try to be politically correct; I am Canadian. Here's the thing. Are we called to tear down the brokenhearted or to bind their wound? Are we called to curse others by calling them derogatory terms or are we to bless (this word comes from the same root word as eulogy, which means to speak well of) them? Are we to condemn them or are we to build them up in Christ? Calling them "illegitimate" and "bastard" is tearing them down, cursing them, and condemning them. Why would yo do that and then get sarcastic and say "boo hoo"???

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do try to be politically correct; I am Canadian. Here's the thing. Are we called to tear down the brokenhearted or to bind their wound? Are we called to curse others by calling them derogatory terms or are we to bless (this word comes from the same root word as eulogy, which means to speak well of) them? Are we to condemn them or are we to build them up in Christ? Calling them "illegitimate" and "bastard" is tearing them down, cursing them, and condemning them. Why would yo do that and then get sarcastic and say "boo hoo"???

I'd say that even if you aren't politically correct, we can be kind and Christ-like. He didn't excuse sin, but He loved us and He accepts all who seek to follow Him. He desires all to be saved. He didn't flippantly call people names or follow terminology that condemned the innocent. In fact, the main people He attacked (for the lack of a better word) were hypocrites and leaders teaching people to follow the wrong path.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, christians who are married do have a responsbility toward their children, and I think following God by loving each other is a pretty important commandment and this will be an example to their children. If that foundation wasnt there to begin with any child born to them will have a hard time growing up because God blesses marriage and subsequent children born of that union.

We who were born to unsaved parents do face a lot more difficulties in life as we never got the blessing from our parents, and see our parents argue, fight, ignore and sabotage each other at close quarters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
At least Timothy learned scripture from his grandparents even though his dad was a gentile apparently and then Paul became like a spiritual dad to him.

Question for marrieds just how important is the bible in your married life and do you teach it to your children not just pass it off to the sunday school teachers. How do you model a christ like life?

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I sometimes wonder how important the Bible was before the invention of printing press.

But to answer your question... not very important. I wish it was more important, but husband went on a spiritual journey that did not involve me. So... to me, it is important as a person. I was single for most of the years I raised my son, and I modeled prayer, church fellowship and involvement, hospitality, generosity, truth, kindness, peace, fruit of the Spirit - as well as I could, given what I had at the time. Of course, things are different now, and as we have both gotten older, I model different things like being genuine, good work ethic, integrity.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Parents are the first teachers are they not? Children dont just magically learn on their own. They will pick up on how thier parents behave and imitate them.
In my experience, this goes one of two ways. Either children imitate their parents, or (especially when a bit older) find that they don't want to be like their parent, and do the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There really are only two type of parent. Heavely Father or father of lies, satan. You need to choose who you will serve. If your parents served satan, when you are a child naturally you follow that path. If your parents serve our Father in Heaven, the children actually have a choice and will know right from wrong, or at least be shown an example. Without knowledge of the gospel, ppl perish.
In unequally yoked marriages, there will be division.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You cannot do the opposite if you not actually taught, whether its by parents, an elder or in most cases the holy spirit when you read the Bible and follow God. Becoming a christian doesnt mean you automatically know what to do from the instant you convert!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When jesus was teaching his disciples, he called them his disciples cos he was disciplining them..TEACHING them. They didnt automatically know what to do without hearing from Him. Many times! You can see Peter learning and making many mistakes. But he didnt just learn on his own did he?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus was being representative for his Father becuase the disciples didnt know Him personally at that point of time. When Jesus went away they got to know God as their Father.

So the parenting or discipling is really important esp for christians I would think. If you have children God has entrusted them into YOUR care, not anyone else...

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You cannot do the opposite if you not actually taught, whether its by parents, an elder or in most cases the holy spirit when you read the Bible and follow God. Becoming a christian doesnt mean you automatically know what to do from the instant you convert!

I don't agree with this. While it certainly is true that parenting and bringing up a child in the faith, there are plenty of cases where people knew that there was something more, despite growing up in places that don't know what Christianity is. Check out Romans 1:20, Acts 17: 23-32. Anyone who is drawn to God through His Creation and nature is drawn by the Holy Spirit. God also gives us an innate understanding of what is good and bad. We also see the consequences of poor decisions.

That said, it is extremely important to be taught, as you will not know all of Christianity without teaching. This can be through the Bible, through human examples (family, friends, teachers and more). Parents however certainly are critical in teaching children, especially considering it is a much easier path to follow your parents' example ham to go against it.

And in regards to your last point, of course you don't know everything at the moment you convert. I don't know anyone who thinks we suddenly know everything upon conversion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was being representative for his Father becuase the disciples didnt know Him personally at that point of time. When Jesus went away they got to know God as their Father.

So the parenting or discipling is really important esp for christians I would think. If you have children God has entrusted them into YOUR care, not anyone else...

God has entrusted them into parents' care, though in the Christian Faith, it is important for the other members of the church to also be examples and teach the children.

Jesus is God. Always remember that. Your wording sounds like Jesus isn't God or that He is lesser than the Father.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. That is unless you seriously mess up as a parent by being extremely abusive or totally lax.

• Agree
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Am now reading Nurture by Lisa bevere is talking about motherhood. For a first generation christian who doesnt have a christian mother or christian intheritance via Godly parents its really hard.

We kinda have to make our own way.

I dont think many ppl realise this. Also I see a lot of parents basically say to their kids, (never lambs) you on your own.

Upvote 0