Colorado
✟427,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?
I dont understand.

The new marble adds mass.
But there's no evidence of added mass.

???

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If it was something which had never been seen to happen before, and it appeared to contravene a law of nature, you would need to come up with good reason why people should believe it. All the physics text books would need rewriting, unless it was a one off miraculous event. (And how would you know that?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it was something which had never been seen to happen before, and it appeared to contravene a law of nature, you would need to come up with good reason why people should believe it.
Suppose I'm not around?

Suppose this marble is created ex nihilo on Pluto? (So it wouldn't matter if I was around or not.)
lesliedellow said:
All the physics text books would need rewriting, unless it was a one off miraculous event. (And how would you know that?)
You don't have to know it.

The OP wants to know if you would be wrong if it did happen, and you say it didn't.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Suppose I'm not around?

Suppose this marble is created ex nihilo on Pluto? (So it wouldn't matter if I was around or not.)You don't have to know it.

The OP wants to know if you would be wrong if it did happen, and you say it didn't.

If nobody had observed it happening, then neither you, nor anybody else, would have any reason to suppose that it happened. It could be that I have an exact double living on a planet a million light years from here. But I have no reason to suppose that is the case. In the absence of any reason to suppose something is either true or untrue, I would shrug my shoulders, and dismiss it as pointless speculation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the absence of any reason to suppose something is either true or untrue, I would shrug my shoulders, and dismiss it as pointless speculation.
You would be justified in denying it, but you would be wrong, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,600.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Suppose I'm not around?

Suppose this marble is created ex nihilo on Pluto? (So it wouldn't matter if I was around or not.)You don't have to know it.
But you are still around .. as is evidenced by your supposing that this marble is created ex nihilo on Pluto! How could you possibly do that if you weren't?

Do you not read what you write, and understand, then know what you write?
(Sometimes I just have to wonder about all that ...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟257,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?
If a sphere could be cubic, is it wrong to pay gas oil with chocolate bars?
If it snowed upwards, is it wrong to eat soup with a fork?
If the US would border China, is it wrong to sell prisoners?
If there were no atomic bombs, is it wrong to pick flowers in the spring?
If all laws were written in poetry, is it wrong to ignore basic math?

If a man, created in the image of god, endowed with intelligence, with all humanity's knowledge and 21st century technology at his fingertips uses all these gifts to launch nonsensical challenges, is it wrong to parody him?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a man, created in the image of god, endowed with intelligence, with all humanity's knowledge and 21st century technology at his fingertips uses all these gifts to launch nonsensical challenges, is it wrong to parody him?
You'd be surprised at how my challenges bring out the ... well ... um ... "best" in answers from intelligent people.

A well thought-out challenge like this one can go for a hundred posts or more.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟257,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You'd be surprised at how my challenges bring out the ... well ... um ... "best" in answers from intelligent people.

A well thought-out challenge like this one can go for a hundred posts or more.
100 posts just telling you that you challenge doesn't make sense? Unglorified apes learn faster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,271.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Unless one is omniscient to the amount of mass/energy in the universe before and after an object is created ex nihilo, one cannot scientifically claim evidence of same.

Put another way, we have no evidence God created the Earth, and must rely on His documentation.

All that to say "I have no evidence you just have to take my word for it"? OK.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All that to say "I have no evidence you just have to take my word for it"? OK.
Do you have evidence that God created the earth ex nihilo?

What is it? a plasma cloud? microwave background? ion trail? time crystals? anything? anything at all?

Upvote 0