A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let's test your theory, shall we?

If a [whatever I want] is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?

Nope -- doesn't make my challenge a failure.
Doing the same thing expecting different results is a sign of insanity.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?
Is it wrong to state categorically that it did not happen? Sure, just as it would be wrong to make the claim that it did happen without any evidence. But that's not the reason we would deny such an event. Stating that such an event goes against everything we know about physics =/= stating categorically that it didn't happen, it merely says we cannot see how it is possible if our understanding of physics is correct.

What's your point?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it wrong to state categorically that it did not happen? Sure, just as it would be wrong to make the claim that it did happen without any evidence. But that's not the reason we would deny such an event. Stating that such an event goes against everything we know about physics =/= stating categorically that it didn't happen, it merely says we cannot see how it is possible if our understanding of physics is correct.

What's your point?
See why I call these things "challenges" now?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?

If we can measure the corresponding increase in energy in the universe, then it would be wrong to say that such an event didn't happen, as we would have evidence of it.

If you can show similar evidence for God creating the Earth, I'll accept that as evidence for creation too.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Scientifically marbles do not pop in and out of existence. They SHOULD because quantum physics should apply to large objects as well, but they don't, for some reason.

Because a marble is not just a single particle buy many, and all the quantum events cancel each other out.

It's like saying that since you can flip one coin and get tails, you should be able to flip a hundred coins and get all tails just as easily. The probabilities cancel each other out and the hundred coins will nearly always work out to a roughly 50/50 split each time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I don't. So allow me to ask again - what's your point?
Unless one is omniscient to the amount of mass/energy in the universe before and after an object is created ex nihilo, one cannot scientifically claim evidence of same.

Put another way, we have no evidence God created the Earth, and must rely on His documentation.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So a marble gets created but there's no evidence of the marble being created?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So a marble gets created but there's no evidence of the marble being created?
What evidence would you expect it leaves? plasma cloud? ion trail? microwave background? time crystals?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Unless one is omniscient to the amount of mass/energy in the universe before and after an object is created ex nihilo, one cannot scientifically claim evidence of same.

Put another way, we have no evidence God created the Earth, and must rely on His documentation.
Excellent. We now have you admitting that the bible is not evidence. Was that the challenge?

Queue handwaving, backtracking and denial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent. We now have you admitting that the bible is not evidence. Was that the challenge?
A marble is created ex nihilo.

I said nothing about the Bible in my OP.

Upvote 0