USA
✟299,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?

Who claims marble is created "ex nihlio", you? Not any one I know of.

[Cue obscure bible verse...]

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From a standpoint of Evidentialism, I don't think the challenge makes sense.

I think I get why you made it, its a bit of a logic trap of reversibility if the answer is yes, but its one of those things where its hard to funnel everything down to a yes/no syllogism when people are using other kinds of heuristics for their decision making.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a marble is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?

Scientifically marbles do not pop in and out of existence. They SHOULD because quantum physics should apply to large objects as well, but they don't, for some reason.

If you can't repeat an event, then science is useless to examine it.
And even then, science is HOPING that they are recreating an event accurately.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Wouldn't the rise of mass/energy be evidence?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From a standpoint of Evidentialism, I don't think the challenge makes sense.

I think I get why you made it, its a bit of a logic trap of reversibility if the answer is yes, but its one of those things where its hard to funnel everything down to a yes/no syllogism when people are using other kinds of heuristics for their decision making.
Scientifically marbles do not pop in and out of existence. They SHOULD because quantum physics should apply to large objects as well, but they don't, for some reason.

I think it's pretty obvious what the answer is.

But others have different ways of looking at the same thing (the marble) and drawing different conclusions.

IOW, they reason themselves out of the right answer.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My marble challenge was "Build a mile long runway for planes. Make it flat and level.
Now roll your marble at each end to check if it's level.
It it's level on each end and the middle, then the earth is proven to be flat.
You can't count on all people to be more accurate than that.
That was a lot of work already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it's pretty obvious what the answer is.

But others have different ways of looking at the same thing (the marble) and drawing different conclusions.

IOW, they reason themselves out of the right answer.

Well if I understand your OP question right.... You have what I call the "Dark Star" Problem of Solipism. (People obviously trust their senses to verify existence etc.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't the rise of mass/energy be evidence?

That's right. If you can shake the cosmos like a Christmas morning gift from Santa, you should be able to sense the increase in mass of the total with the added marble. Also the added mass should slow the spin of the planet if you just want to measure local effects. More locally, the continent should sink a bit.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Probably because their is no quantized "marble field" pervading the universe. Marbles are composite objects made of composite objects (molecules) made of composite objects (atoms) made of fundamental particles (electrons) and composite particles (nucleons) made of fundamental particles (quarks and gluons).

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,530.00
Faith
Atheist
Quantum physics does apply to large objects, but its effects are scale-dependent.

Also, things (i.e. particles) don't really pop in and out of existence, that's just a way of describing some abstruse field mathematics in familiar language.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Here is another response to your quote.

Marbles don't pop in or out of existence because the energy (or mass) of the marble is not obtained from the vacuum energy which is the lowest energy level in a field.
The energy-time relationship of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states ΔEΔt ≥ h/4.
Since marbles hang around for a long time Δt is very very big which means ΔE is very very small.
This would mean marbles for all intents and purposes would have to have masses of the same magnitude as particles such as protons and neutrons which of course is nonsense.

Since protons and neutrons have been mentioned a free neutron (n) decays to a proton (p) according to the reaction.
n → p + e⁻ + ῡₑ where e⁻ and ῡₑ are the electron and antineutrino respectively.
This is a straightforward reaction where energy is conserved.

When we look at the reaction at a more fundamental level using a Feynman diagram things look decidedly weird.

beta.png

In the diagram the W⁻ boson which is the carrier for the weak force pops into and out of existence when a neutron decays into a proton and hangs around with a half life of Δt ≈ 3 x 10⁻²⁵ s.
Since its half life is so short its mass is around 80X greater than the neutron which has been confirmed by experiment.
So where did the mass of the W⁻ boson come from; certainly not from the neutron but from the (Higgs) vacuum energy of the field.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I said yes. I may not be understanding the question completely, but it reminded me of something my dad used to tell me. He said if you spit into the ocean you are raising the sea level. Now the rise is too small to measure, but it still exists. So even though something can't be measured doesn't mean it isn't happening. I apologize in advance, if this has nothing to do with the question and I just sound like an idiot. :confused:

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I said yes. I may not be understanding the question completely, but it reminded me of something my dad used to tell me. He said if you spit into the ocean you are raising the sea level. Now the rise is too small to measure, but it still exists. So even though something can't be measured doesn't mean it isn't happening. I apologize in advance, if this has nothing to do with the question and I just sound like an idiot. :confused:
Nay, my friend! Your dad was right on the money!

Good post! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You can use magic in any scenario you want to create and explain whatever you want, doesnt make it rational or real so the "challenge" is, as usual, a fail.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can use magic in any scenario you want to create and explain whatever you want, doesnt make it rational or real so the "challenge" is, as usual, a fail.
Let's test your theory, shall we?

If a [whatever I want] is created ex nihilo, raising the amount of mass/energy in the universe accordingly, is it wrong to deny it on the basis of not having evidence of same?

Nope -- doesn't make my challenge a failure.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VirOptimus
Upvote 0