Muslim-only gated community with mosque, Islamic school, apartments and childcare centre rejected

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you had the pleasure of living as a minority in another country? I have. It's gREAT!
I'm doing it right now.

Integration and assimilation does not happen when the home culture is not welcoming to them.
It also does not happen when people are not encouraged to assimilate. Telling everyone "hey, you just set up your own ethnic enclaves, don't worry about assimilating, we're multiculti!" doesn't work as well as you might think.

Remember: Immigrants CHOOSE their new country purposefully and with GREAT consideration. They believe that there is something in "that place" that they can benefit from.
Often that benefit is purely material. I'm not inclined to let the rest of the world into my country and bend over backwards to accommodate them -- because God forbid they ever feel even a little bit out of place in a foreign land. Especially when they have no interest in becoming part of the country, but are only there because their own country sucks.

If you are a guest in your neighbour's house and your neighbour welcomes you in, is friendly and hospitable, you will have good feelings toward them and want to spend more time with them. If your neighbour is not welcoming, feels your presence is an imposition and is SOLELY focussed on ensuring you obey the rules of his house (no shoes in the house, don't move the christmas diorama pieces), you feel that you are an imposition and you feel unwelcome.
Tough. The answer then is to go back to your own house if you feel like you're not as welcomed as you think you should be, and you just can't deal with that. It's not to bring over your own family and friends and set everyone up in the guest room, hoping the homeowner is too busy or nice to kick you all out.

It is silly to think that minorities will ever "stop" interacting with locals; they are almost TOTALLY immersed in the culture and experience of being an outsider.
It sort of depends. When their numbers relative to the native population are like it is where I am? Yeah, it's just about impossible. When the numbers get larger, and they begin to congregate in the same areas, the "locals" more and more become other immigrants like you. This only becomes further exacerbated when you do something like was originally proposed in the OP's new story (i.e. set up your own Muslim-only gated community and forbid "the locals").

Also, if their new culture has been welcoming to previous immigrants, THOSE immigrants will shine a more positive light on the new culture on newcomers.
This depends on those previous immigrants having also more or less totally assimilated a few generations on. If they haven't, what do you expect to happen?

Yes; it likely makes it better informed. It's like, experience gives you greater knowledge.
Well, like I said, I'm doing it right now. Not long-term yet, but I am a "below .5% of the population" minority here.

No, no it does not. That is fear based talk.
What? Do Chinatowns not exist? Do Muslim-dominated neighborhoods that more closely resemble Muslim countries than their host country not exist? Are there not entire towns in California that look more like they should be south of the border? This isn't "fear based talk", this is just something that happens when you put large numbers of a foreign people in the same place and encourage them to create their own little communities.

SOOOOOO many european nations have had immigration from far off places for centuries, and yet their cultures thrive.
What examples of this are you thinking of, exactly?

So when you say "assimilate and integrate", what do you mean exactly?
Learn the language, adopt local customs to at least some extent, try to become part of the wider community rather than holing up in your own gated ethnic enclave, etc. I don't actually think it's possible for first-generation immigrants anywhere to ever fully assimilate, but they still have a duty to do so to whatever extent they can.

Because there are children bullying and teasing minority students for eating their ethnic food (and no doubt adults who do it too).
If it means "abide by the rules of the land", I agree. If it means they have to drop every cultural practice that is important to them, well, I disagree with that.
Drop everything? Not really possible. But you would be expected to adapt to the customs and cultural norms of your new country as much as possible.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If your neighbour is not welcoming, feels your presence is an imposition and is SOLELY focussed on ensuring you obey the rules of his house (no shoes in the house, don't move the christmas diorama pieces), you feel that you are an imposition and you feel unwelcome.

Have you considered that in this situation you might actually be an imposition? I mean for heaven's sake at least take your shoes off when you visit someone.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Have you considered that in this situation you might actually be an imposition? I mean for heaven's sake at least take your shoes off when you visit someone.
Plenty of people leave their shoes on in the home. I live in Canada so that doesn't work but I have met many Americans who keep their shoes on. I think it's weird....

So the mere presence of someone can be an imposition to you? I'm pretty sure there have been numerous calls from Jesus and God to be welcoming of the foreigners. Welcoming, mind you, NOT tolerant; not abrasive; not silently judging and feeling like someone is an "imposition". Actually having to show kindness; actively pleasant.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm doing it right now.
Cool! Where are you living?

It also does not happen when people are not encouraged to assimilate. Telling everyone "hey, you just set up your own ethnic enclaves, don't worry about assimilating, we're multiculti!" doesn't work as well as you might think.
Why would someone move to a COMPLETELY different country to better their situation and not make ANY efforts to assimilate? Nobody is dictating anything of the sort. I am saying it naturally happens. And multiculturalism is working fantastically in Canada; except for the people who hate immigrants anyways. And frankly...forget about them.

Often that benefit is purely material. I'm not inclined to let the rest of the world into my country and bend over backwards to accommodate them -- because God forbid they ever feel even a little bit out of place in a foreign land. Especially when they have no interest in becoming part of the country, but are only there because their own country sucks.
What does "bend over backwards" entail, I wonder. Also, even if their own country sucks, they still chose your country ON PURPOSE. You keep repeating these assumptions that immigrants have "no interest" in becoming functioning members of their new society and frankly, I think that presumption is very misguided. I say this based on the experience of pretty much every immigrant I've met. My parents were immigrants; my community was almost all immigrants within the last 2 generations; I've worked with refugees and asylum seekers and I continue to enjoy the presence of many immigrants in my church.

Tough. The answer then is to go back to your own house if you feel like you're not as welcomed as you think you should be, and you just can't deal with that. It's not to bring over your own family and friends and set everyone up in the guest room, hoping the homeowner is too busy or nice to kick you all out .
Who benefits from the attitude you display here?

It sort of depends. When their numbers relative to the native population are like it is where I am? Yeah, it's just about impossible. When the numbers get larger, and they begin to congregate in the same areas, the "locals" more and more become other immigrants like you. This only becomes further exacerbated when you do something like was originally proposed in the OP's new story (i.e. set up your own Muslim-only gated community and forbid "the locals").
First off, I take umbrage that you seperate the idea that "muslims" are working against "the locals" in reference to the OP. As though there are no local muslims?
I can agree that it becomes easier and more likely you would have more friends that belong to your minority group, but again, you haven't providing anything convincing that suggests these people would no longer, go out, partake in movies, immerse themselves in the popular culture, get jobs working with various other groups. There is a reason that many muslims in North America are relatively liberal compared to muslims in, say, the middle east. The new generations of muslims have been immersing themselves in American culture. This is not a "freak" outcome.
I found this article. I could only skim it but my oh my does it ever provide a COMPLETELY FASCINATING insight into Muslims in Europe and America; comparing the two. I had never really heard about the beginnings. A couple nuggets that jumped out:
Europe, this process was different, with large numbers of immigrants coming to work as manual labor. World War II, in which 70 million to 80 million people were killed, devastated Europe’s economy and manpower was needed in factories. Agreements were signed with Muslim nations, commonly former colonies, to provide such manpower. So Algerians went to France, Moroccans to Spain, and Pakistanis to the U.K. Exceptions included Germany, which had no Muslim colonies and drew on its historical relationship with Turkey in recruiting large numbers of Turks as “guest workers.”...In Europe, Muslims are predominately working class. They originally came mainly from Muslim agricultural societies...In the U.S., Muslim immigrants tended to be part of the professional class, with many doctors, lawyers and engineers.
Really interesting article this:
The Best Place in the World to be a Muslim: America or Europe? - The Islamic Monthly

But, back to the discussion: Integration of Muslims is Europe’s best kept secret - Europe’s World

This depends on those previous immigrants having also more or less totally assimilated a few generations on. If they haven't, what do you expect to happen?
So if your culture is cold and unwelcoming to outsiders, what do YOU expect to happen? If someone is treated like garbage

Well, like I said, I'm doing it right now. Not long-term yet, but I am a "below .5% of the population" minority here.
What are your general thoughts on it? Personally, I kinda loved it. I did NOT like the lack of ALL cultures (most far east countries have very few immigrants) but I did like being a minority. It allowed me a chance to see what outsiders may feel like in Canada.

What? Do Chinatowns not exist? Do Muslim-dominated neighborhoods that more closely resemble Muslim countries than their host country not exist? Are there not entire towns in California that look more like they should be south of the border? This isn't "fear based talk", this is just something that happens when you put large numbers of a foreign people in the same place and encourage them to create their own little communities.
If you go back through the conversation, you'd see I was addressing the idea that these groups would "get a foothold" and "take over". I can't and would NOT deny those places exist.

What examples of this are you thinking of, exactly?
USA (slaves helped out a lot right?); Postwar Europe...almost all of it (and before that); Australia

Learn the language, adopt local customs to at least some extent, try to become part of the wider community rather than holing up in your own gated ethnic enclave, etc. I don't actually think it's possible for first-generation immigrants anywhere to ever fully assimilate, but they still have a duty to do so to whatever extent they can.
I agree with learning the language. Not because they "should to integrate" but they should so that they can be independent. Luckily, almost all immigrants want to do that. It is certainly easier for men (who tend to be out in the community working) than for women (from cultures where they are meant to stay at home and not work).
Out of curiosity, when I read your list, it sounds like you expect them to ADD things to their "cultural repetoire"; is it safe to say they don't need to take anything away (that isn't against the law of their new homeland, of course).
If you met my father and mother, I think you would disagree that it's impossible for 1st geners to assimilate. What helps? They are as white and dress exactly like everyone else.

Drop everything? Not really possible. But you would be expected to adapt to the customs and cultural norms of your new country as much as possible.[/QUOTE]But sooooo many of these are personal, private and barely affect anyone else because so many of them happen within the family or within the family home.

EDIT: Sidebar: Doesn' all the "assimilate" talk sound and feel a bit too "borg" like?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Plenty of people leave their shoes on in the home. I live in Canada so that doesn't work but I have met many Americans who keep their shoes on. I think it's weird....

So the mere presence of someone can be an imposition to you? I'm pretty sure there have been numerous calls from Jesus and God to be welcoming of the foreigners. Welcoming, mind you, NOT tolerant; not abrasive; not silently judging and feeling like someone is an "imposition". Actually having to show kindness; actively pleasant.

How many strangers do you allow to enter your house each day? And when they do enter, are you ever rude enough to ask them to leave for being an imposition?

If your answer to the first question is "none" and if your answer to the second question is "yes," maybe you should reflect on the calls from Christ that you are pointing out.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh snap, a word made a Trekkie nervous, I guess the debates over now.
Oh snap. Someone who disagreed with me read nonsense into my post. Well I guess I should be surprised now.
How many strangers do you allow to enter your house each day? And when they do enter, are you ever rude enough to ask them to leave for being an imposition?
If your answer to the first question is "none" and if your answer to the second question is "yes," maybe you should reflect on the calls from Christ that you are pointing out.
1) It is rare I invite total strangers into my home. Mainly because they are salesmen trying to sell me things and I have a "never buy things from adults representing companies at my door". I do invite JWs in for conversations now and again but I make it clear that I have timelines that I need to meet and they are usually respectful about that.
2) More importantly though, this discussion about immigration has turned into how many people I host in my house and how I treat them? I don't know if you noticed it but I was using an analogy and I pointed out holes in my analogy that shows I understand it is not perfect.
God spoke to the entire people of Israel and gave them the same directions.

And as for helping immigrants, refugees, assylum seakers and foreigners generally, I HAPPILY pay taxes and donate to organization that do help them. I welcome them, I want to help them, and I want them to succeed. So when it comes to the actual topic at hand, I don't feel I'm being hypocritical in my faith: Do you feel I am. I notice that you didn't disagree with my representation of Jesus' guidance on how to treat foreigners so I guess I now can ask you: How do you jive your impressions of foreigners with JEsus' call to action?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And as for helping immigrants, refugees, assylum seakers and foreigners generally, I HAPPILY pay taxes and donate to organization that do help them. I welcome them, I want to help them, and I want them to succeed.

So you're happy with helping them, just as long as you don't have deal with them personally.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am against a gated community of this type because it denies access to everyone else. So one could not shop in their stores, eat in their restaurants, etc. But they would still have full access to everything outside those walls. That is called segregation which has been proven to be harmful to society as a whole.

Sure, on principle I agree with you, Hank, that integration is better than segregation. Here's the thing, some folks seem to want it both ways. They don't want Muslims in their communities, but they make a stink if the Muslims make their own tiny communities for themselves.

In the short time I've been on this forum I've seen a lot of bile from the OP towards Muslims. Right-wing sites go out of their way to find whatever negative story they can, from around the world, so that their readers can have a collective poutrage about it. I live in the South, have known folks who've never met a Muslim in their life, and don't want to, because they're sure they're horrible from what they've read / heard. They don't want them living in their neighborhoods. I can see why Muslims would be worried about their kids, would want them to just be able to live peacefully in a neighborhood where folks weren't resentful they were there. I wish they didn't feel the need to have their own community like this.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, on principle I agree with you, Hank, that integration is better than segregation. Here's the thing, some folks seem to want it both ways. They don't want Muslims in their communities, but they make a stink if the Muslims make their own tiny communities for themselves.

In the short time I've been on this forum I've seen a lot of bile from the OP towards Muslims. Right-wing sites go out of their way to find whatever negative story they can, from around the world, so that their readers can have a collective poutrage about it. I live in the South, have known folks who've never met a Muslim in their life, and don't want to, because they're sure they're horrible from what they've read / heard. They don't want them living in their neighborhoods. I can see why Muslims would be worried about their kids, would want them to just be able to live peacefully in a neighborhood where folks weren't resentful they were there. I wish they didn't feel the need to have their own community like this.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't have any problem with Muslim living together in a neighbor, having a Mosque in that neighborhood, having their own private school in that neighborhood, opening businesses in that neighborhood.
But I do have a problem with it being off limits to other people. No where else and with no other group has this ever been allowed and does not exist.
Even the federal accommodation laws and state accommodation laws do not allow businesses to be closed off from other citizens. If they were allowed to do that then everyone else would have to be allowed to do the same thing. What would our country look like then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the short time I've been on this forum I've seen a lot of bile from the OP towards Muslims.

You're entitled to your opinions, but I disagree.

• Winner
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't have any problem with Muslim living together in a neighbor, having a Mosque in that neighborhood, having their own private school in that neighborhood, opening businesses in that neighborhood.
But I do have a problem with it being off limits to other people. No where else and with no other group has this ever been allowed and does not exist.
Even the federal accommodation laws and state accommodation laws do not allow businesses to be closed off from other citizens. If they were allowed to do that then everyone else would have to be allowed to do the same thing. What would our country look like then?

This is about a community Muslims wanted to have in a city in Australia, and I can't say I know much about their laws over there.

I get what you're saying, Hank, I do. I just see it as a damned if they do, damned if they don't, because some folks don't want them in their neighborhoods, but if they have a private community for themselves that riles up folks. So I get why.

You're entitled to your opinions, but I disagree.

Of course I'm entitled to my opinions, and of course you'd disagree. I've read enough of what you're written to have made an informed opinion.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is about a community Muslims wanted to have in a city in Australia, and I can't say I know much about their laws over there.
You're right, I wouldn't be able know what it is really like in Australia so I shouldn't be comparing it to the US conditions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're right, I wouldn't be able know what it is really like in Australia so I shouldn't be comparing it to the US conditions.

Sure you can, Hank -Don't let people change your mind.

...Right is right, and wrong is plain wrong. Wrong is not relative to any condition, and barricading a community off is an Islamic supremacy move -That's what it is. The Muslims are not being persecuted in Australia.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure you can, Hank -Don't let people change your mind.

...Right is right, and wrong is plain wrong. Wrong is not relative to any condition, and barricading a community off is an Islamic supremacy move -That's what it is. The Muslims are not being persecuted in Australia.
I would definitely be against it in the US. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I get what you're saying, Hank, I do. I just see it as a damned if they do, damned if they don't, because some folks don't want them in their neighborhoods, but if they have a private community for themselves that riles up folks. So I get why.

No, I don't think you do get why.

Why should it matter if some "folks" don't want them in their neighborhood? That happens everywhere... Do you think African Americans should build gated communities, with shopping and hospitals for blacks only?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Why should it matter if some "folks" don't want them in their neighborhood? That happens everywhere... Do you think African Americans should build gated communities, with shopping and hospitals for blacks only?
There is a very bad trend in some American universities, from what I have read, of some universities reverting back to segregating blacks into their own dormitory blocks.
Those who do not learn from their history are condemned to repeat it. Segregation is not the answer to bigotry.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a very bad trend in some American universities, from what I have read, of some universities reverting back to segregating blacks into their own dormitory blocks.
I remember reading about this, too. Wasn't it that the minorities wanted to have their own dorms and other students were objecting?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Why should it matter if some "folks" don't want them in their neighborhood?

I don't care if you think I don't get why.

Why should it matter that decent parents want their kids to live in a community where they're not hated just because of their race or religion? I'm a Christian, Landon. I actually care about folks besides myself. Now what I wish was that no black family, no Muslim family ever wanted to segregate themselves just so their kids can grow up with peace.

That happens everywhere... Do you think African Americans should build gated communities, with shopping and hospitals for blacks only?

You mean like how white people used to have their own hospitals & gated communities? For a short while as a kid I went to a Christian school that had been founded specifically to get around desegregation laws, on the account that the law hadn't been enforced in private schools at that time, just public. It wasn't until the 1990s that a black student graduated from there.

Upvote 0