Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah. The old "we are at war with Islam" thing.

Apparently every Muslim alive and every Muslim yet to be born is morally responsible and accountable for the actions of other Muslims and for every Muslim who has ever lived in this world. However, this standard apparently does not apply to Christians, only to Muslims and other non-Christians. So, now that we have that point straightened out, we can move on.

• Agree
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Apparently every Muslim alive and every Muslim yet to be born is morally responsible for the actions of other Muslims and for every Muslim who has ever lived. However, this standard apparently does not apply to Christians, only to Muslims and other non-Christians. So, now that we have that point straightened out, we can move on.
Not even other non-Christians, as apparently the Hindu chaplain I cited was completely different.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not even other non-Christians, as apparently the Hindu chaplain I cited was completely different.

I stand corrected then. Well, apparently that standard only applies to Muslims. How sad.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So your way of honouring a country founded by Christians escaping religious persecution, is to persecute others for their religion?

Religious persecution against non-Christians has been going on for a very long time in this country.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've already served, but thank you. It's not the religious liberty I'm against, our country was founded by Christians escaping religious persecution.

That's more a myth than reality. The earliest English colonies in the US were in Virginia and they were looking to make money as a commercial enterprise. Religious idealism was only part of early America, and was by no means the only reason that people came here.

How is a Muslim chaplain going to be able to both uphold the duties of his position while adhering to the teachings of their religion?

The same way any other chaplain would.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently every Muslim alive and every Muslim yet to be born is morally responsible and accountable for the actions of other Muslims and for every Muslim who has ever lived in this world. However, this standard apparently does not apply to Christians, only to Muslims and other non-Christians. So, now that we have that point straightened out, we can move on.
As every Conservative Christian white male is an intolerant racist misogynist. Let's not find the need to establish the moral high ground when this topic is clearly specific to the role of a US Army chaplain.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's more a myth than reality. The earliest English colonies in the US were in Virginia and they were looking to make money as a commercial enterprise.
I was going to mention Jamestown, and the fact the "Pilgrims" were, like, 200 years before the idea of America a a country had even been thought of, but you guys are awfully wedded to your national narrative, and pointing out inconvenient historical facts seemed likely to derail the thread.

Feel free to make what you will of the fact that an Australian knows more about your colonial history than many of your countrymen, though.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As every Conservative Christian white male is an intolerant racist misogynist. Let's not find the need to establish the moral high ground when this topic is clearly specific to the role of a US Army chaplain.
You're the one who seems determined to group ALL Muslims together in an enemy group...

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Is a Christian or Jewish Chaplain able to offer services to a Muslim soldier?
Since you have no basis in which to make your points relevant let me give you some perspective. This Sunday you'll have a new priest at your church. You are confined to only that church and that priest and must rely on him for your spiritual needs. This is the role of a chaplain in a setting such as a remote area of Afghanistan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since you have no basis in which to make your points relevant let me give you some perspective. This Sunday you'll have a new priest at your church. You are confined to only that church and that priest and must rely on him for your spiritual needs. This is the role of a chaplain in a setting such as a remote area of Afghanistan.
I served in Iraq, and I'm still suffering from battlefield injuries, thanks for bringing it up. My "basis" is perfectly fine, thank you.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's more a myth than reality. The earliest English colonies in the US were in Virginia and they were looking to make money as a commercial enterprise. Religious idealism was only part of early America, and was by no means the only reason that people came here.
Was I referring to the country or the continent? Nice try.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I served in Iraq, and I'm still suffering from battlefield injuries, thanks for bringing it up. My "basis" is perfectly fine, thank you.
And you served in the United States Army, knowing full well the role of the chaplain serving on the front lines?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In what branch did you serve? This Division level Chaplin will have several other Chaplin’s serving under his command; he is not the only Chaplin for the 7th Infantry Division.
Chaplains go where there is a need, regardless of position or religious affiliation.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Chaplains go where there is a need, regardless of position or religious affiliation.
As the chaplain in the OP apparently has done throughout his career, otherwise he wouldn't be getting this promotion.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I was in the Australian Army, and yes, we have chaplains.
I am aware, considering I attended a reformed Christian service of one in an Australian camp in Afghanistan. There were no American chaplains at the time. My spiritual needs rested on a devout Aussie.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.