Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Chaplains go where there is a need, regardless of position or religious affiliation.
AJ was in the Coast Guard iirc. I think he's familiar with the military. Heck, half the people replying to this thread are former military.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the key here is that we Christians are called to evangelize, to witness, to proclaim the Good News of Salvation by Grace through Faith. We obviously aren't that "energetic" about it anymore. Fewer folks are attending church services. I note that several established buildings locally are now vacant or are being used for other purposes.

The number of people attending services and the number of church buildings in a community are not indicative of anything. God has always disregarded numbers. God has never needed numbers. If anything, He shows Himself annoyed when we pay attention to numbers. Observing numbers is always a mistake when considering the power of God.

Fewer folks speak up when challenged about their faith.

Not necessarily true.

How many of us respond to a cashier at Walmart with "God bless you"?

What is that actually supposed to do or to mean? Is it like wearing a button?

How many of us, if asked about our faith or "religion" would joyfully respond? If we know in advance that the questioner is a Muslim or atheist or Buddhist or whatever else non-Christian, how many of us would smile, extend a hand for a handshake and state, "I'm a Christian. May I tell you about my Savior?"

I think a lot of Christians who, if specifically asked about our faith wouldn't have a problem talking about it. At least, those who are more than "default" Christians...people who have been serious about it to have actually learned what it's about rather than parroting Christianese sayings.

I've read the end of the book. The Body of Christ is still there at the end. Sorry you seem to have given up too soon.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The number of people attending services and the number of church buildings in a community are not indicative of anything. God has always disregarded numbers. God has never needed numbers. If anything, He shows Himself annoyed when we pay attention to numbers. Observing numbers is always a mistake when considering the power of God.

Not necessarily true.

What is that actually supposed to do or to mean? Is it like wearing a button?

I think a lot of Christians who, if specifically asked about our faith wouldn't have a problem talking about it. At least, those who are more than "default" Christians...people who have been serious about it to have actually learned what it's about rather than parroting Christianese sayings.

I've read the end of the book. The Body of Christ is still there at the end. Sorry you seem to have given up too soon.
:yawn:

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Does it? This was once a Christian nation, still rooted in the moralistic teachings of Christianity.

The majority of its population were Christian, and its founders were Christian, and many (but certainly far from all) of its founding principles were derived from Christian teaching, but that doesn't make the US a Christian nation.

The US was the first officially secular state - there was no explicit state endorsement of any religious doctrine and all religious beliefs were treated, at least from a legal standpoint, as equally valid.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wait, we can do that? What a great idea! Let’s round everyone up and take care of the non-Christian problem once and for all!
Some sort of solution that could be final?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not false at all, Islam been at war with non Muslim's since the 7th century, they use taaqiya to fool the "infidel" and they learned to weaponize the womb to build up a army of Jihadists.

Chechynea- war against Russian Orthodox Christians, where we saw them cowardly kill a bunch of school children after taking them hostage

Kashmir-Jihad against Hindus

Pakistan -Deobandi, and Salafists Jihad against Shiites, Christians, Hindus, Sufis, Ahmadiyya, etc.

Iraq - both Sunnis, and Shiites wage jihad against Christians, and Kurds, then on each other

Palestine/Israel - Islamo-marxist jihad against Jews, and decorating their Palestinian Christians due to the risecof Hamas, and Sharia law

Egypt -Jihad against civil society, and the native Coptic Christians, which didn't just start recently

Xijiang Province in China - Urguy Islamist Jihad against ethnic Chinese

Southern Philliphines - Moro Islamic Jihad against the Catholic Indonesia

East Timor - Indonesiab Islamic Genocide of Catholic East Timorese

Syria - two Muslim Brotherhood led terrorist insurgencies first between 1976-1982, then 2011-present, targeting Armenians, Assyrians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Mellie Catholics, Syriac Orthodox, Shiites, Druez, Alawites

Lebanon - A colation of leftist, and Islamist's led by the PLO, Amal, Hezbollah, PLF, Lebanese Communist Party, the Drug, PSP wage a war of extermination against the Lebanese Christians, this only happened because the Palestinian (mainly Sunnis) we're foolishly welcomed, once the Muslim's got big numbers, the civil war started

Yemen - Jihad between Sunnis affiliated with ISIS, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Al Qaeda, and the anti-american,anti-christian Huthis backed by Iran

Kosovo -the islamo-marxist, Al Qaeda affiliated wage a terror campaign against the native Serbs, and NATO backs the terror campaign, and the Serbian Orthodox holy land is stolen by Albanian Muslims

Should I go on? Religion of peace?
if, as the thesis of this thread seems to be, the American military is a Christian military, of a Christian country, how many violent acts and deaths have Christians been responsible for in the same period? Hmmmm?

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if, as the thesis of this thread seems to be, the American military is a Christian military, of a Christian country, how many violent acts and deaths have Christians been responsible for in the same period? Hmmmm?
America is a secular country, I thought? That what the Atheists tell us, our troops fight heroicly regardless, and all the false wars were committed by neoconservatives, and liberals post-cold war.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
America is a secular country, I thought? That what the Atheists tell us, our troops fight heroicly regardless, and all the false wars were committed by neoconservatives, and liberals post-cold war.
If you agree the US is a secular country, you don't get to complain about Muslim chaplains or Jewish bankers. Pick an argument and stick to it. You can't pick the aspects you like from mutually contradicting claims simultaneously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CQmethodist

Oct 16, 2014
✟24,779.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Do you honestly find no difference between the two? Would you have asked our grandfather's to serve with a Japanese officer, and be 'blessed' by them before battle? Maybe you need to study your history and the Bible more before your moralistic worldview dictate your judgement in the matter.

Have you ever heard of the 442nd Combat Infantry Unit? It was a group of Japanese American soldiers (with mostly non-JA officers) who fought some of the hardest battles of World War II.

Upvote 0

CQmethodist

Oct 16, 2014
✟24,779.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I've already served, but thank you. It's not the religious liberty I'm against, our country was founded by Christians escaping religious persecution. The role of the chaplain is significant, and as an officer they have authority. How is a Muslim chaplain going to be able to both uphold the duties of his position while adhering to the teachings of their religion?

Very few of the American colonies were founded by "Christians escaping religious persecution." Most were founded by companies attempting to monetize the resources of the newly-"discovered" continent.

Upvote 0

CQmethodist

Oct 16, 2014
✟24,779.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Does it? This was once a Christian nation, still rooted in the moralistic teachings of Christianity. Can the chaplain put aside his beliefs for the female soldiers or the LBGT soldiers? Is the chaplain safe working around those whose suffered losses of friends and family to Muslims? As a Christian I understand that God has placed this chaplain in this position for a purpose beyond my understanding. This doesn't mean I have to like it.

There is not one reference to Christianity, to God, or to religion in the founding legal document of this nation: the Constitution.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.