Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know the more I think about it, the Muslim's fight pretty fanatically, I got a solution. If Muslim's want to prove their loyalty, we can form human wave attacks of Muslim's on the enemy, groups like ISIS, and Taliban wouldn't know what to do.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry, if you're this opposed to religious liberty you will never have to work with the man in the article. After all if it's that odious you would never be able to take the oath of enlistment as the first line is a deal breaker.
I've already served, but thank you. It's not the religious liberty I'm against, our country was founded by Christians escaping religious persecution. The role of the chaplain is significant, and as an officer they have authority. How is a Muslim chaplain going to be able to both uphold the duties of his position while adhering to the teachings of their religion?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Army Puts Muslim in Charge of Division's Spiritual Needs | Military.com

I think we are over the hill, USA. We've lost the handle. We don't know where we are going and we have forgotten where we have been.

I don't think you understand how the chaplaincy works in the military, and the writer of that article, even though it's "military.com" may not ever have been in the military to know either how it works.

In the Army, a "division" is the smallest organization that has all the organizational components it needs to "go to war." It has the "trigger-puller" units, but it also has food services, mortuary services, medical services, supply, maintenance, laundry, et cetera...including a chaplaincy.

The religious makeup of the chaplaincy will be proportional (ideally) to the religious makeup of the division. So if there are enough soldiers of a certain religion, they will have one or more chaplains (if available). The chaplaincy, like the other military units on the post, has an administrative hierarchy. IOW, someone is the commander of the chaplaincy, just as someone is the commander of food services, someone is commander of the hospital, et cetera. That "someone" will be the military senior ranking person. That's how the military does business.

The senior ranking doctor might, conceivably, actually be a dentist. Although senior in rank for administrative matters, he doesn't tell the senior internal medicine surgeon how to do surgery.

The same way with the chaplaincy. The senior chaplain may be Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, whatever for administrative purposes--but he does not direct any of the lower-ranking chaplains in how to minister to soldiers of their own religion.

Military chaplains also have the very important role of being counselors to soldiers. Chaplains of any religion may give personal counseling to soldiers of any religion. What makes this role important is that they are the only persons in uniform who have absolute confidentiality with the soldiers they counsel--if a soldier confesses to them of a wrongdoing, the chaplain is not under obligation to report it to the military commander. This is an extremely important role, and all chaplains agree to take their own religion out of the picture in this role.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've already served, but thank you. It's not the religious liberty I'm against, our country was founded by Christians escaping religious persecution. The role of the chaplain is significant, and as an officer they have authority. How is a Muslim chaplain going to be able to both uphold the duties of his position while adhering to the teachings of their religion?

Because they agree to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How is a Muslim chaplain going to be able to both uphold the duties of his position while adhering to the teachings of their religion?

The man in the article seems to see no conflict. I suppose you know his mind better than he does?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Remember, this is the country that elected a two time divorced adulterer as the Christian choice President. Japanese is whatever Christians want it to be.
Japanese are people, and during World War II, the government forced every subject to the religion called Shinto and admit that the Emperor of Japan was divine.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The same way Christian and Jewish Chaplin’s have.
I see your point here, but Muslims are not to conform to Western views. Is the Muslim chaplain able to offer his services equally to Christian and Jewish soldiers, while restrained by his beliefs?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The man in the article seems to see no conflict. I suppose you know his mind better than he does?
Do you understand the religion of Islam, and the significance of the descendants of Ishmael in regards to Isaac's descendants as stated in Genesis?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you understand the religion of Islam, and the significance of the descendants of Ishmael in Genesis?

I am not very familiar with Islamic doctrine and don't see the relevance here. The man has served as a chaplain for 18 years if he was unable to fulfill that duty without overstepping his proper roll I doubt he would have made it that long nor risen to the position he now holds.

Again, he finds no conflict between his duty and religious view do you know his mind and conscience better than he does somehow?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Of course Japanese did serve, and the fought heroicly, and as far as the wartime persecution they faced, ask the Democrats about it, their hero FDR did all that, he even turned away a boat load of Jew's during the Holocaust, Fantastic guy, ran 4 times, like a dictator, yet only Trump can be one on the CF threads.
Ah, there's that good old "Democrats were evil" meme.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've already served, but thank you. It's not the religious liberty I'm against, our country was founded by Christians escaping religious persecution.

Considering the real history of America and how it was actually founded, I would not brag about your country being founded by Christians. It is not a very flattering story and it completely blows a hole through the facade of American Exceptionalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you honestly find no difference between the two? Would you have asked our grandfather's to serve with a Japanese officer, and be 'blessed' by them before battle? Maybe you need to study your history and the Bible more before your moralistic worldview dictate your judgement in the matter.
Ah. The old "we are at war with Islam" thing.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Allowing religious equality is terrible.

I guess it must be very difficult for some people to accept the fact that religious equality in America includes Muslims.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So your way of honouring a country founded by Christians escaping religious persecution, is to persecute others for their religion?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I see your point here, but Muslims are not to conform to Western views. Is the Muslim chaplain able to offer his services equally to Christian and Jewish soldiers, while restrained by his beliefs?
Is a Christian or Jewish Chaplain able to offer services to a Muslim soldier?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is a Christian or Jewish Chaplain able to offer services to a Muslim soldier?
I am sure either would be capable of reporting them to the Muslim registration officials.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.