Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Phoebe, I did not say being married to anyone. Although, I may not have been clear. I meant to a Mormon man. And yes, I read the multiple definitions for salvation that you listed. As I said privately to you, I have never been a Mormon, and this is not my passion. It is yours and I am standing with you because you are engaged in an important work for the Lord.

I knew you didn't. Sometimes in order to swing things in another direction, we are misquoted.

I have studied religions and cults in an effort to understand what they believe and why they believe those things, but my passion is understanding what is happening with the global government that is rapidly building up around us.

My concern for the Church is the ecumenicalism that Christians are drifting towards which will be the source of the one world religion. The teaching of Universal Salvation is feeding into that same direction. A forum is not the way to lead people to Christ, but it is an appropriate venue for declaring the truth. And you are doing that, which is why I stand with you.

You have a legitiment concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me get this clear. If you are saved by faith, you do not have to do any of the above that you have listed? Is this correct?

Yes your are correct and the mormon site that the list came from is totaly false in promoting that.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Let me get this clear. If you are saved by faith, you do not have to do any of the above that you have listed? Is this correct?

:heart:We obey Him because we love Him! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tolworth John, LDS believe that a person is saved by faith. The chapter you linked isn't talk about salvation at all.
It talks about being in heaven which is the result of salvation so in my opinion is relevent.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Don't have any, thanks though :)

This chapter is about LDS views exaltation. If you want to talk about exaltation on another thread, I will be happy to do that. Thus far in this thread we've been talking about salvation (LDS and non).

Eternal life in the presence of the Father is the ONLY salvation Jesus mentioned. Christian salvation is in the presnce of the Triune God. We are talking about eternal life. Of course, Mormons wanted to abandon the OP. But salvation is Eternal Life and that is what the topic has become. Resurrection is NOT salvation. Some resurrected beings, per Mormonism, will go to outer darkness forever. Others will be sent to places other than the highest level of the "Celestial Kingdom."

Marriage is a principle which, when entered, presents more serious problems than any other. It should be received in the spirit of patience and love, even that greater love which comes through the power of the Holy Spirit. Nothing will prepare mankind for glory in the kingdom(end p. 58) of God as readily as faithfulness to the marriage covenant. Through this covenant, perhaps more than any other, we accomplish the perfect decree of the Divine will, but this covenant is only one of many required of man who seeks to do the will of the Father...
Marriage is the grandest, most glorious, and most exalting principle connected with the gospel. It is that which the Lord holds in reserve for those who become his sons and daughters; all others are servants only, even if they gain salvation. They do not become members of the household of our Father and our God, if they refuse to receive the celestial covenant of marriage.
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, pp. 58-59

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Again, it's not talking about salvation or getting into heaven. I'd be happy to explain this other topic to you in another thread.

Exaltation per Mormonism is salvation.

Eternal Life, or Exaltation. In the scriptures, the words saved and salvation often refer to eternal life, or exaltation (see Abraham 2:11). Eternal life is to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and dwell with Them forever—to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom (see John 17:3; D&C 131:1-4; 132:21-24). This exaltation requires that men receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and that all Church members make and keep sacred covenants in the temple, including the covenant of eternal marriage. If the word salvation is used in this sense, no one is saved in mortality. That glorious gift comes only after the Final Judgment.
Salvation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Jane_Doe and @Phoebe Ann
This is off topic but came to mind while reading something else. The history of Christianity is marked by the blood of the martyrs. From Jesus to the first generation of apostles, they all died for their faith. I am curious, surely the LDS must have a list of martyrs that have died for their faith. Do either of you know who they are?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joseph Smith has become a god according to Mormonism, but Mormons still pray to "Heavenly Father" alone.
This material I read may have meant that Joseph Smith had become equal to the Trinity. It has been years since I reviewed it.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That view of the Trinity is polytheism, and no, that is not what the trinity means. The trinity is Yahweh the Father, Yahweh the Word and Yahweh the Spirit. When Jesus prayed in his incarnation, he prayed as a created man praying to God. When he said, "Father," he was not praying to one part of God, but to God in his totality as his Father.

Can you tell me your thoughts about who was Elohim, the first God mentioned in the bible in the very first verse? And the only God mentioned in the first chapter.
Yahweh is not mentioned until the second chapter.

OK, How has God spoken to you? What power have you walked in? I have been teleported by God from one room to another. God told me to raise someone from the dead. I have prayed for healing and they were healed.

Very interesting, JS had similar experiences. Through the priesthood, and by the spirit, the healing of the sick is a great blessing that we enjoy. I have never been teleported, that is very interesting. Was there a reason that God teleported you from one room to another?

Thank you Phoebe. God is a Spirit and did not have a body of flesh and bones as tangible as a man's until he incarnated as Christ.

Then you would agree with JS that God has a body of flesh and bone and spirit. Actually, it is a resurrected body of flesh and bone and spirit.

Thank you for your insight.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mormon Teaching:

The term “Father” as applied to Deity occurs in sacred writ with plainly different meanings. Each of the four significations specified in the following treatment should be carefully segregated.

... the Eternal Father, whom we designate by the exalted name-title “Elohim,” is the literal Parent of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and of the spirits of the human race...

Jesus Christ applies to Himself both titles, “Son” and “Father.” Indeed, He specifically said to the brother of Jared: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son” [Book of Mormon](Ether 3:14). Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh, and which body died on the cross and was afterward taken up by the process of resurrection, and is now the immortalized tabernacle of the eternal spirit of our Lord and Savior. No extended explanation of the title “Son of God” as applied to Jesus Christ appears necessary...

That Jesus Christ, whom we also know as Jehovah, was the executive of the Father, Elohim, in the work of creation is set forth in the book Jesus the Christ,chapter 4 [by James E. Talmage]. Jesus Christ, being the Creator, is consistently called the Father of heaven and earth in the sense explained above; and since His creations are of eternal quality He is very properly called the Eternal Father of heaven and earth.

A third sense in which Jesus Christ is regarded as the “Father” has reference to the relationship between Him and those who accept His gospel and thereby become heirs of eternal life. Following are a few of the scriptures illustrating this meaning...
Gospel Classics: - ensign

As I studied Mormonism, I learned that many words had multiple meanings: hell, salvation, eternal and Father are some examples (very complex).

Jesus the Christ is heavenly father. He is God. Welcome.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't have any, thanks though :)

This chapter is about LDS views exaltation. If you want to talk about exaltation on another thread, I will be happy to do that. Thus far in this thread we've been talking about salvation (LDS and non).

According to mormon doctrine they are the same thing see
"Salvation in its true and full meaning is synonymous with exaltation or eternal life and consists in gaining an inheritance in the highest of the three heavens within the celestial kingdom. With few exceptions this is the salvation of which the scriptures speak" [Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. (1966), 670].)

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you tell me your thoughts about who was Elohim, the first God mentioned in the bible in the very first verse? And the only God mentioned in the first chapter. Yahweh is not mentioned until the second chapter.

Because Yahweh is the covenant name of Elohim, which merely means God in the plural. He is the same God, one being in three persons.

I have never been teleported, that is very interesting. Was there a reason that God teleported you from one room to another?

Because I was trapped in an elevator stalled between floors, and the Lord moved me to the room I needed to be in.

Then you would agree with JS that God has a body of flesh and bone and spirit. Actually, it is a resurrected body of flesh and bone and spirit.
Now he does, in Christ and all who have the new birth. But not before the creation.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Jane_Doe and @Phoebe Ann
This is off topic but came to mind while reading something else. The history of Christianity is marked by the blood of the martyrs. From Jesus to the first generation of apostles, they all died for their faith. I am curious, surely the LDS must have a list of martyrs that have died for their faith. Do either of you know who they are?
At post #91 I asked about what martyrs the LDS have. People die for what they truly believe in. Since their is no response, I must assume no Mormon has ever died for his faith.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
According to mormon doctrine they are the same thing see
"Salvation in its true and full meaning is synonymous with exaltation or eternal life and consists in gaining an inheritance in the highest of the three heavens within the celestial kingdom. With few exceptions this is the salvation of which the scriptures speak" [Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. (1966), 670].)
This isn't even a LDS publication.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.