Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The LDS/Mormon missionaries taught me six lessons between the middle of March and the first week of April when I was in high school urging me to be baptized. I was baptized the first week of April without knowing that a temple marriage was a requirement for eternal life. In June of the following year, I was told that I should fulfill my divine potential to become a goddess someday. I was shocked! That was when I started to feel bad about the decision I had made to join that organization. Only God knows why I stayed in that church for so many years.
Why did you join

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Why did you join

Because I didn't know my Bible. That's all it takes. Why did three other members of my family get baptized afterwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...Your expectations of the next life limit you and your potentional God intended you to become. But the lower expectations you expect to receive in the next life will be realized. But God intended more for you.

Christians' expectations are to be accepted in the beloved.

Ephesians 1
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:10That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because I didn't know my Bible. That's all it takes. Why did three other members of my family get baptized afterwards?
So you joined because you didn’t know your bible? So they convinced you that being baptized without you asking God?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So you joined because you didn’t know your bible? So they convinced you that being baptized without you asking God?
How many people have been baptized and left or become inactive? Probably millions.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
(There's a ton of misconceptions about my beliefs in here, and if you want me to clarify them, I can. But my question was about YOUR theology, and that's what I'm going to focus on)
It is not about what one does, but the change in heart that comes when realizes that God (not Elohim as a god, but the only God who created heaven and Earth) became the man Jesus Christ to take our sins upon himself for our redemption, and the realization the one needs a Savior. Believing in the deity of Christ is crucial.
Belief is not mental assent. It is a change in the heart which brings in the new birth. The new birth is not a "burning in the bosom" but the reception of Almighty God into your heart through the Holy Spirit. Man was created. We are not eternal spirits that become men, but dust that had the breath of God (not the same as the Spirit of God) breathed into our nostrils. That first man, Adam, failed, so a second man, Christ, fulfilled that Adam's failure. We die with Christ and are reborn in his resurrection. Salvation is about a new humanity that is forever joined to the Living God. In this life we believe the promises to come, but in the next life it will not be faith, but manifest reality.

As Ken said, words can have multiple meanings, but they have multiple meanings only because people make the different meanings. But words came from God first, and what he means is the only meaning that matters.

So, according to YOUR theology, I and every other LDS person is saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The LDS/Mormon missionaries taught me six lessons between the middle of March and the first week of April when I was in high school urging me to be baptized. I was baptized the first week of April without knowing that a temple marriage was a requirement for eternal life. In June of the following year, I was told that I should fulfill my divine potential to become a goddess someday. I was shocked! That was when I started to feel bad about the decision I had made to join that organization. Only God knows why I stayed in that church for so many years.
It takes a great deception in women to think that there only salvation is to be married to a Mormon man and remain perpetually pregnant to populate the planet that the husband gets to be a god over.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(There's a ton of misconceptions about my beliefs in here, and if you want me to clarify them, I can. But my question was about YOUR theology, and that's what I'm going to focus on)

So, according to YOUR theology, I and every other LDS person is saved.
Nope. But if you are, you are in a group that will not help know how to walk with Christ.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It takes a great deception in women to think that there only salvation is to be married to a Mormon man and remain perpetually pregnant to populate the planet that the husband gets to be a god over.
Alex, Mormons do NOT believe that salvation comes only by being married to anyone. Or anything about being pregnant.

Post #40 is entirely FALSE information.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alex, Mormons do NOT believe that salvation comes only by being married to anyone. Or anything about being pregnant.

Post #40 is entirely FALSE information.
Then you are unaware of the LDS doctrines, at least from the past, if they do not believe these things now. I have read those claims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Nope. But if you are, you are in a group that will not help know how to walk with Christ.
Did you not say that salvation comes (I'm abridging from post #37 here) the change in heart that comes when realizes that God became the man Jesus Christ to take our sins upon himself for our redemption, and the realization the one needs a Savior. Believing in the deity of Christ is crucial. Belief is not mental assent. It is a change in the heart which brings in the new birth. The new birth by reception of Almighty God into your heart through the Holy Spirit. We die with Christ and are reborn in his resurrection. Salvation is about a new humanity that is forever joined to the Living God. In this life we believe the promises to come.

That's what I have done! That is the entire center of my faith: that Jesus Christ, whom is the only Begotten Son of the Father (and one with the Father) came down to Earth to save us. Salvation comes only through Him- He is the light and the way. Heck, I'm going to a church event tonight specifically to celebrate and sing of that marvelous coming. I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I dedicate my life to Him. I love Him with every fiber of my being.

And no, this is not something unique to me, this is what it is to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know that you've been told lies about what we believe- many of them. That's not your fault that people lie. If you want to hear the truth / dispel any lie, I can talk about it-- I'm actually an OCD truthful person. But right now, I'm saying the most important truth: that I am a saved Christian follower of Jesus Christ. He is my Savior, Lord, I love Him with every once of my being.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what I have done! That is the entire center of my faith: that Jesus Christ, whom is the only Begotten Son of the Father (and one with the Father) came down to Earth to save us.
Jane, as I had said previously, LDS is like the Freemasons. There are millions at the lower level of freemasonry who do not know what is believed by those who are 33 degreed. I hope you are right, but as I said, you will not walk with Christ with the LDS. The Lord, speaking through Isaiah said,

Isa_44:8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
Isa_44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;​

In Mormonism, are there other Gods? Do you believe that Jesus is Elohim incarnate, or an equal god that Elohim sent to the Earth?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one likes to have their dirty underwear exposed, which is why they are dirty secrets. The LDS is filled with superstitions such as wearing holy underwear that is not to be taken off. Or that blacks are the failed work of Lucifer, who is the brother of Jesus. Or that women have no salvation unless married to a Mormon man, who, btw, can marry as many women as he wants.. at least until the US government (Mormonism is an American cult exported around the world) forbid polygamy. You have to earn your salvation by doing missionary work at your own expense.

The sad thing about it all is that Mormons are the nicest, hardest working people I know. But they are spinning their wheels in vain. They are rowing the boat that still flows towards Hades.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Jane, as I had said previously, LDS is like the Freemasons.
Alex, I am a practicing LDS person of thirty years. I have been through every book, study, rite, etc. I give sermons, I teach classes, lead groups, etc.
Isa_44:8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
Isa_44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;​
That IS LDS doctrine.
In Mormonism, are there other Gods?
There is ONE God.
God does consist of more than one person (like the Father and the Son are different persons), but they are ONE God.
Do you believe that Jesus is Elohim incarnate, or an equal god that Elohim sent to the Earth?
LDS typically use the term "Elohim" for the Father. The Son is a different person than the Father. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the 100% divine, Jehovah incarnate. The Son of God is equally as righteous, good, powerful, glorious, etc as the Father-- they are ONE after all. The Son does bow to the Father and call Him "my God" (John 20:17).

If you want any more elaboration or scripture references on any of this, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
No one likes to have their dirty underwear exposed, which is why they are dirty secrets. The LDS is filled with superstitions such as wearing holy underwear that is not to be taken off. Or that blacks are the failed work of Lucifer, who is the brother of Jesus. Or that women have no salvation unless married to a Mormon man, who, btw, can marry as many women as he wants.. at least until the US government (Mormonism is an American cult exported around the world) forbid polygamy. You have to earn your salvation by doing missionary work at your own expense.

The sad thing about it all is that Mormons are the nicest, hardest working people I know. But they are spinning their wheels in vain. They are rowing the boat that still flows towards Hades.
These are all common and laughable misconceptions about the LDS faith. Like no, LDS do NOT believe that you earn salvation through works-- that idea is simply laughable. Salvation is a gift from God, not the product of any person's works.

It's not your fault you're been told false information-- these misconceptions are incredibly common. You seem like a man who's very devoted to God and truthfulness. Which is why I'm cool spending the time chatting with you about what LDS truthfully believe.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is ONE God.
God does consist of more than one person (like the Father and the Son are different persons), but they are ONE God

And how does "And then shall the angels be crowned with the glory of his might, and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him (emphasis added) (Doctrine and Covenants 88:107)." fit into the above statement you made?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormons use six different definitions for salvation:

If someone were to ask if another person had been saved, the answer would depend on the sense in which the word is used. The answer might be "Yes" or perhaps it might be "Yes, but with conditions." The following explanations outline six different meanings of the word salvation.

Salvation from Physical Death.
All people eventually die. But through the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected—saved from physical death. Paul testified, "As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive" (1 Corinthians 15:22). In this sense, everyone is saved, regardless of choices made during this life. This is a free gift from the Savior to all human beings.

Salvation from Sin.
To be cleansed from sin through the Savior's Atonement, an individual must exercise faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:37-38). Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual's continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God (see 2 Peter 2:20-22)....

Salvation from Ignorance. people live in a state of darkness, not knowing the light of the restored gospel. They are "only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it" (D&C 123:12). Those who have a knowledge of God the Father, Jesus Christ, the purpose of life, the plan of salvation, and their eternal potential are saved from this condition. They follow the Savior, who declared, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12)....
Salvation <-----

Use the above link to see three other definitions taught by Mormonism.

Temple marriage is required for eternal life. Others are separated from their supreme god for all eternity.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
And how does "And then shall the angels be crowned with the glory of his might, and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him (emphasis added) (Doctrine and Covenants 88:107)." fit into the above statement you made?
The same way Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 3:18, Gal. 4:7, 1 Jn. 3:2, Rev. 3:21 do.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Technically, being married anywhere other than a Mormon temple is not obedience to the Mormon commandment and doesn't qualify a person for eternal life. If a couple does marry in the temple, they must continue to keep all the commandments in order to qualify for exaltation/godhood/eternal life.

"Alex, Mormons do NOT believe that salvation comes only by being married to anyone."

As I explained, they have multiple definitions for salvation.

The person you marry can't be just anyone. That person has to be a worthy Mormon.

If I'm not online, send me a message to explain ambiguous objections.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.