Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I found a more accurate VO2Max cycling calculator, using an exercise bike. You peddle for six minutes after a brief warmup, maintaining a heart rate of between 127-172 beats per minute. Trained individuals should use 100-200 watts as the target power output. Untrained individuals should use 50-100. After six minutes, you record the wattage and heart rate. Then you convert the watts to kg-m/min (1 watt = 6.12kg-m/min):

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At approximately 147 watts @ 120 bpm, my VO2max result is 85.5. I get the same results with the 15 x HR max / HR rest formula.

I believe I can still get this number higher to around 90 if I commit better to my training if I can better manage my time between work and training.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
At approximately 147 watts @ 120 bpm, my VO2max result is 85.5. I get the same results with the 15 x HR max / HR rest formula.

I believe I can still get this number higher to around 90 if I commit better to my training if I can better manage my time between work and training.

Yeah, you are in really good shape and have low body weight. All VO2Max tests I've actually done, using increasing power output on some kind of cardio machine, fall lower than the simple calculated VO2Max.

The good thing about the Åstrand formula is that it only requires about 75 percent max heart rate. It's similar to the formula that Garmin or Apple uses to calculate VO2Max on their watches, based on somebody going for a run for ten minutes or so.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, you are in really good shape and have low body weight. All VO2Max tests I've actually done, using increasing power output on some kind of cardio machine, fall lower than the simple calculated VO2Max.

The good thing about the Åstrand formula is that it only requires about 75 percent max heart rate. It's similar to the formula that Garmin or Apple uses to calculate VO2Max on their watches, based on somebody going for a run for ten minutes or so.

My real weight turned out to be 120 lbs. Still light but not as light as I thought I was. I also visibly gained muscles on my legs.

120 bpm is only 57% of my HR max. At 75% HR max, my wattage is well over 200 watts and well outside the max workload in the calculator and the calculator won't work so I kept using lower watts until the calculator worked.

The formula makes sense if you don't know your HR rest.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My real weight turned out to be 120 lbs. Still light but not as light as I thought I was. I also visibly gained muscles on my legs.

120 bpm is only 57% of my HR max. At 75% HR max, my wattage is well over 200 watts and well outside the max workload in the calculator and the calculator won't work so I kept using lower watts until the calculator worked.

The formula makes sense if you don't know your HR rest.

There's always outliers in these types of tests, because they make assumptions to estimate VO2Max. If your anaerobic threshold or maximum heart rate is different from what is modeled, for instance, your resting heart rate might not predict your VO2Max accurately. It doesn't in my case . My resting heart rate is 54, so my VO2Max should be around 50, according to that model.

Also, low resting heart rate doesn't always indicate better health or exercise performance. Elderly women tend to have lower resting heart rate as they age. Lower resting heart rate being healthy is mostly true in younger people.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There's always outliers in these types of tests, because they make assumptions to estimate VO2Max. If your anaerobic threshold or maximum heart rate is different from what is modeled, for instance, your resting heart rate might not predict your VO2Max accurately. It doesn't in my case . My resting heart rate is 54, so my VO2Max should be around 50, according to that model.

Also, low resting heart rate doesn't always indicate better health or exercise performance. Elderly women tend to have lower resting heart rate as they age. Lower resting heart rate being healthy is mostly true in younger people.

The actual vo2max tests increases the test (cycle or treadmill) intensity every 5 minutes zone 1 up to zone 4 (low to high intensity) if I remember correctly.

More accurate test would definitely cover low to high intensities. Can't fool that one with faulty heart.

I never did such test but my power-to-weight ratio (w/kg) per HR zone is also similar to professional cyclists up to the zone 5 sprint zone.

I could have actually been competitive in races but definitely not planning to. I'm too old for that. Worse chances for serious injuries if I crash. Time trials and triathlons maybe but cost of equipment is just too expensive to even worth considering.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The actual vo2max tests increases the test (cycle or treadmill) intensity every 5 minutes zone 1 up to zone 4 (low to high intensity) if I remember correctly.

Yes, a real VO2Max test is really only measuring oxygen consumption at the point of exhaustion. The actual distance covered isn't factored in at all.

I never did such test but my power-to-weight ratio (w/kg) per HR zone is also similar to professional cyclists up to the zone 5 sprint zone.

I could have actually been competitive in races but definitely not planning to. I'm too old for that. Worse chances for serious injuries if I crash. Time trials and triathlons maybe but cost of equipment is just too expensive to even worth considering.

You could compete in Masters events, though I don't know if those are a thing in the Philipines.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, a real VO2Max test is really only measuring oxygen consumption at the point of exhaustion. The actual distance covered isn't factored in at all.

You could compete in Masters events, though I don't know if those are a thing in the Philipines.

We have road races but that's one thing I would avoid due to high risk of collision with other racers.

Time trials maybe safer because you're only racing against time, one at a time on closed roads. It's still not totally safe because the speeds could be faster on time trials and you're literally at the limits of traction in turns. It's like rally racing in motorsports, expect with bicycle.

The safest bike races no doubt is hill climbing because races are done entirely uphill and usually on steep, paved mountain roads so the speeds are much slower and the chance of getting seriously injured in a fall is almost zero. You can still fall over climbing slowly in steep road. When you're pushing down real hard on the pedals and experience drivetrain failure, the abrupt loss of pedaling resistance can suddenly throw you off balance and fall over but since the speed is real slow, it isn't going to be a big deal.

We probably have hill climb events except I don't have suitable equipment for such race. My bike is quite heavy for starters and such races demand the lightest bike you can afford. They do make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0