Vancouver
✟9,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The moral preening around this issue is just unbelievable to me.

Who would have thought that in the 21st century, in the United States of America, standing up against racism, standing up against those who embrace racism such as the KKK and the Neo-Nazis, would be considered a negative. That the people who stand against this would be insulted and called names, said to be partaking in "moral preening" for their behavior. What a strange time in the USA.

• Agree
Reactions: Searching1God
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Neither do they have a history of making the same kind of unprofessional public opinions like Trump's Twitter feed.
Trump never called them "s---hole countries" on his Twitter feed.

Upvote 0

Think like Christ

Jan 11, 2018
Vancouver
✟9,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump never called them "s---hole countries" on his Twitter feed.
Should we celebrate? The president didn't talk like a racist on twitter, only at meetings and press conferences. Whoopee?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Should we celebrate? The president didn't talk like a racist on twitter, only at meetings and press conferences. Whoopee?
I didn't celebrate that. I merely pointed it out. Not sure where you got the idea that this was celebratory.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Who would have thought that in the 21st century, in the United States of America, standing up against racism, standing up against those who embrace racism such as the KKK and the Neo-Nazis, would be considered a negative. That the people who stand against this would be insulted and called names, said to be partaking in "moral preening" for their behavior. What a strange time in the USA.

Is this thread about the KKK and neo-Nazis? Or are you just wish-casting or whatever?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother would tell me that the only thing that separates us from the people in the third world countries is that we were fortunate enough to be born in the rich countries and they were born in the poor countries. While I don't disagree with Trump's concerns over sources of immigration, I think he has worded it very poorly and needs to grow up, be more professional, and take responsibility for his actions.

The first Americans who came here were the poorest of the poor bringing pretty much little more than what they could carry on their backs. They came to a country with no infrastructure, no social services, no safety net let alone a life line, and precious few resources. They were on their own and many didn't survive even the first winter. But they managed to build the greatest, most free, most generous, most prosperous nation the world has ever known.

The poor in poor countries are poor mostly because their corrupt governments keep them poor. I don't believe for a minute that President Trump has been quoted accurately by the dishonest and deceiving enemies who were in that room with him. For them to betray his trust in a closed meeting is despicable and should be fiercely condemned by everybody capable of intellectual honesty. I am much more interested in what President Trump actually says and what he intends and that he walks the walk than I am in how he says something. I would like for all who love their country to feel the same way about that.

And he is 100% right that we should be bringing people to America with the knowledge and skills to help make us better--doctors, scientists, engineers, craftsmen, artisans--and not people who will further strain social services and weaken our ability to help anybody. The poor in the world are legion. We can best help anybody only if we do not weaken ourselves and become more like them.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Think like Christ

Jan 11, 2018
Vancouver
✟9,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this thread about the KKK and neo-Nazis? Or are you just wish-casting or whatever?
I was just commenting on how, in this thread, people were being insulted for taking a stand against racism. Is that OK with you?

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
BBGMtfP.img
Mocking the Poor

Given that Jesus spent much of His Ministry caring for the poor and that most of His Disciples came from the lower classes only reinforces just how far Americans are out of touch with core Christian values in the Age of Trump!

Even within America, the opioid epidemic, inner city decay/crime , rural poverty, the devastation in Puerto Rico, gun violence, the collapse of the middle class and the recent decision by Congress not to renew the Child Healthcare Insurance Program for 9 million of the nation's poorest children, have relegated large segments of the population to living a ".... hole" existence!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The poor in poor countries are poor mostly because their corrupt governments keep them poor.

And for some reason the America bashers want her to stay out of their business instead of trying to help them, interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook. He posted on Facebook the following question, “What word best describes these countries?” Then he added pictures of slums areas with the captions, Somalia, Nigeria, Haiti, Bangladesh, Mexico.

The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.

This man was a friend of mine who I had previously met on a Christian forum – not this forum Im pleased to say. I replied …

… Extolling Trumps wealth as a virtue is stupid enough, but mocking the poor says more about you than it does about the unfortunate places you mention. I’m cancelling you from my friends list.

I think Trump's alleged comment was stupid, but I also think talking it death to avoid speaking of our immigration issues is as well.

Notice everyone wants to speak about the salacious, but never the reality.

There is not a county, town, or district in the USA that isn't stretched to the limits for resources to help the poor. The responsible thing to do is attempt to face it, and find some fixes. Sadder still is the fact they never do.

The politicians always agree they need more funding, and then find some diversion tactic to get off the topic in order to shame someone else. At that point they know they are out of the woods, and don't have to address it until the next time. Then they just rinse and repeat. It's not one political side that does this, but all of them. They have all been in power at one time or another, and nothing has moved the needle.

The bigger issue that came from that meeting that no one wants to talk about is merit immigration. You would always have exceptions to that rule, because our country does do that.

It would help the counties towns and districts that are barely keeping their heads above water with the insufficient funds and resources they have now. The diversion option for that topic? They hate poor people if we use merit immigration. No doubt that will come to a news feed near you soon!

They won't address their irresponsible conduct and behavior towards getting the proper resources to help those that are here now. Nope, you will be called racist if you bring that up. You see that equals not liking immigrants to bring that subject up.

Government has mocked our laws that they made for us. Shamed citizens when they were concerned about it. Claim its the other side that doesn't want to fix it, and yet uses their hurt feelings over something in order for them themselves not to either.

We don't treat our own poor or the immigrants that come here in the way they should be now. You know who is responsible for that? The ones that would rather speak about Trump's stupid comment. It will always be used to kick the can down the road, so they don't have to either. Watch! Nothing will happen, and our communities will continue to struggle to help our poor - citizen or not - because division over the catch 22 we are stuck in.

Yes, people do dumb stuff on facebook. They do dumb stuff everywhere. People are frustrated because you can't speak about this issue in a upfront way without being called names. So, they post dumb stuff instead out of frustration most of the time.

We all know what will happen next. They will dream up some rhetoric that doesn't fix a thing. Blame the other side, and yet not lift a finger themselves. Dream up some new phobia to use when convenient. Then show how people are insane when they get frustrated over their inaction.

Not one politician is going to take a firm stand on truth, because it might hurt someone's feelings. Remember that might harm their re-election which is much more important than the country at large. The media does it best to pour gas on the fire, and claim we have 'the right to know'. Yet, they don't tell us anything of substance. Finding the salacious to ramp up the hate and division in this country - while playing 'non-partisan' has been happening since before Bush...and has got worse with time. OH! Don't mention that either, because then you are Koolaid drinker!

The inference is clear that mocking, shaming, and finding ways to create hate and division is a great tool to keep their power - and with that comes money. Yet, watch them call others greedy.

What you x-friend did was stupid, and those that enabled it were too. Yet, our system, politicians and media encourage it. Our inaction towards important things like taking care of our poor is irresponsible, and the true shame of our country. Taking in more people when we can't take care of the ones that are here? We make matters worse which feeds the fear, frustration, and our system feeds on that by causing division. It takes the eyes off them. That to me is the bigger problem.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your good reply. I realise that there are genuine problems regarding immigration. My OP was not meant to criticise governments who find themselves making firm and realistic policies controlling immigration.

My disgust is with those whose underlying thinking is contemptuous of the poor, hiding an unadmitted (but obvious) racist motivation.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.
[/QUOTE? ]

You may just be spreading gossip?
For it appears that all except for one that were in that room say that the president (did not say that).
M-Bob

• Winner
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Agree.
We could find slum pictures from almost every major city in the United States. We could also find numerous pictures of rural squalor throughout the USA. It would be curious to know whether or not the USA actually has more people living in slums/squalor than in some of the countries singled out.
The even sadder reality is that neoliberal policies of the last 40~ years in the US are only increasing the wealth inequality and number of those who are without.

“If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door you will not find him in the chalice”

A few weeks ago a UN group compared parts of Alabama to third world living conditions.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And for some reason the America bashers want her to stay out of their business instead of trying to help them, interesting.

Well, they want America to ignore the corruption. They are quite happy to take anything we give them though. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You may just be spreading gossip?
For it appears that all except for one that were in that room say that the president (did not say that).
M-Bob
The Republicans that once said that he said it have changed their tunes

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Republicans that once said that he said it have changed their tunes

Republicans who speak against Trump are branded as "rino's" and instantly lose their support. So they roll over and say what they must.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Searching1God

Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2017
Denver
✟94,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The moral preening around this issue is just unbelievable to me. The keywords: "says more about you".

Really?

You think people who live in the slums of Haiti, Somalia, Bangladesh and Mexico look around and go, "yes, this really is the high life here"? I think you mock the poor when you believe they don't KNOW they're poor. In fact, I think the very fact that we get so many immigrants from these nations would go to show that they want OUT of these desperate situations. I say: don't condescend to them by assuming they don't know they live in the worst situations the world has to offer. I'm sure they do. I think they get it. I think they understand their children rifle through garbage to get their food.

Now, do I like the turn of phrase Trump used to describe these nations? Not particularly. But would it surprise me if these desperate families used the very same desperate kinds of words to describe their circumstances? Nope, not at all. Life is desperate, especially when you're poor.
So...

Since you claim to know how these poor people think, please explain to me why they are offended and upset at the comments Trump made instead of high fiving him like you do?

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So...

Since you claim to know how these poor people think, please explain to me why they are offended and upset at the comments Trump made instead of high fiving him like you do?

Have we heard from people who actually live in the slums? Or just the elitists who live there?

Upvote 0