Video Game CEO fired over pro-life social media post

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
These types of contracts should be illegal because they completely nullify anti discrimination laws.
Yeah, too bad the court seems to be determined to give employers the ability to bypass anti-discrimination laws based on their claimed beliefs.

Who knew they'd be a risk from appointing activists judges to the supreme court?

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Making the clauses illegal completely nullifies the business's right to control the image they portray to the public. The business has the right to control its image through ethics and morale clauses. The employee has the right to not accept a position that requires them (or accept the position and accept being fired if they violate the clause).

I have an issue with non-compete clauses in specific circumstances. I do not accept positions that require them. Keeps everyone happy.

Allowing these clauses to remain legal allows companies to completely circumvent anti discrimination laws.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the word "Texas" is the problem. Texas has implemented this law in harsh and deadly ways. Women with ectopic pregnancies and other life threatening conditions have died because doctors fear their conditions aren't yet "terminal" enough.

People can sue others who get abortions--even if they are not related in any way to the unborn child. (I read that last year but there must be some legal challenges.)

Texas has not signed up for the ACA or expanded Medicare. They have high infant and maternal mortality rates.

Texas' pro-life war 7s a minefield of anti-life consequences.

I think a general statement praising a well crafted law would have passed muster.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If the comment did not have anything to do with his position in the company - or is immoral, or sanctioning an illegal or violent act - I think he has a lawsuit.
As with most 'at will' states, in Georgia [where Tripwire's HQ is], "the employee works at the will of the employer and the employer can fire the worker at any time, for any reason (just about), and without any notice. Essentially, a worker can be terminated for "a good reason, a bad reason, or for no reason at all.""

If he got whatever golden parachute he was promised, I don't think he has a lawsuit.

Upvote 0