Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My son recently sent me a post from a video gaming forum he frequents, and I was concerned enough to finally stop browsing this forum and actually make an account to post myself after I didn't find it anywhere here or in the gaming forum. It also finally gave me an excuse to read the rules just to be sure I wasn't breaking them with this post.

While this concerns video games I believe it's more politics than anything else, so I'm posting it here. I'm going to copy some of what my son sent me verbatim, but I have heavily edited the text in the image he sent me to remove any profanity. I try my best, but teenagers... and he didn't say any of it himself.

I triple checked the information on the public officials, and it's all available for the public. I didn't want to accidentally post anyone's private information, so I can promise you there's none of that below.

I wanted to spread this here in the hopes that others will stand up for what's right like John Gibson tried to do. This is bigger than him now, it's about all of us and our right to not be fired for holding a view that most of the country does! Over eighty percent of America believes there should be at least some restrictions on abortion, and forty percent believe it should be illegal in all or most cases. This is a religious belief, so it's protected by law.

I live in the South in the U.S., and have already sent messages to my Governor and Lt. Governor on facebook and left voicemails with both of their offices. I don't have that other social media website listed, but I encourage anyone who does to send messages.

My son exclusively uses gaming forums, so I wouldn't be surprised if no one here had heard about this. I certainly hadn't!

It took me a while and judicious use of MS Paint, but I managed to crop out an image of John Gibson's social media post that started that for everyone here to see.View attachment 305546
If we can't even say this much without discrimination, then the law isn't worth the paper it's written on.
How can you be certain that he was fired because of this comment?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's absolutely not true. You can't be fired for religious beliefs in any state, even in states that lack specific anti-discrimination laws.

Religious discrimination is illegal everywhere, and the 1964 civil rights act covers private actors. For the same reasons you can't refuse to hire someone because of their skin color, you cannot fire them because of their religion.
If he was posting on the forum with his private account then I’d say you’re correct but if he was posting from a company account then he would be subject to abide by their rules or face disciplinary actions.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I don't see his tweet as religious as he didn't specify his statement as being such. Second, Tripwire has made it clear that his statement does not represent the company culture. I know this part is a big deal in many gaming companies since the number of problems with discrimination against women in these companies has come to light, and this can be seen as such.

Third, this could be the last straw from a number of broken straws between him and the company. Just because he is CEO doesn't make him the owner or above company rules.

Is it fair that his private Twitter account is observed by the company? Probably not, but once you get in a highly visible position (like CEO) in an organization and start saying things agast company policies and views (or even the company desired image) there will be consequences.

Note, he was not prevented from making the Tweet, but the company he worked for made it clear that he didn't represent them. Free speech does not be any consequences from the rest of society, just the government.
But the government has made it illegal for employers to discriminate based on religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tripwire interactive is not other mega gamming company. I couldn’t find much information of company wealth. But if you are CEO of a big company, some of the restriction applies to you which doesn’t apply to most of us. I work for a Christian organization. As an employee if I express my view outside work, I wouldn’t be reprimanded. But our CEO , he can’t just go online and express his view openly. He will be fired. It all depend on company policy.
Companies can’t legally take away your freedom of speech or discriminate because of religious beliefs that are posted on a social media website if it’s from your personal account.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's absurd that you'd claim that, given he clearly states his pro-life position. The only possible argument the company could make, legally speaking, is an attempt to claim in court that anyone can be against abortion, even the non-religious. The next question from any competent defense attorney is going to be whether or not they knew he was religious, at which point it becomes a farce and you've annoyed the judge, which is why no one would even try to make that argument.

Second, it doesn't matter if his statement does not represent the company culture. That doesn't change existing religious discrimination laws. Private corporations are not exempt because of company culture. The civil rights act only allows for very, very narrow exemptions. For example, you have a for-profit company selling atheist clothing marketed specifically towards atheists. They could refuse to hire/or fire a religious person for a job involving outreach towards fellow atheists, but not for something like say, accounting. It doesn't matter if their entire organization is geared towards atheist products for atheist people, they still have to hire anyone regardless of their religious background unless that job's function requires atheism. They also have to prove it, and the standards are very, very strict.

You're trying to trot out the 'freedom from consequences' nonsense I see constantly, but the law is very clear on this, and not on your side.
Typically any company with any sort of common sense would never admit to firing him because of what he posted on the forum. In most cases they would avoid that catastrophe all together by simply saying that they fired him for another reason.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not a catch all. You can't fire someone for being a Christian, but simply having an opinion based on religion is not protected. There are multiple examples of this in action. I told you of the Rastafarians but there are multiple other areas that could go to showing why this was not illegal and why he does not have a case. That is why the company fired him. Do you really think the CEO would be somehow unaware if it was illegal and needs you to contact your representatives?
That’s a ridiculous comparison since posting pro life statements on social media isn’t illegal in any state whereas the use of marijuana is in most states.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,023.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That’s a ridiculous comparison since posting pro life statements on social media isn’t illegal in any state whereas the use of marijuana is in most states.
How is that relevant? The company does not enforce laws so the legality of the statement has no bearing on the subject.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Companies can’t legally take away your freedom of speech or discriminate because of religious beliefs that are posted on a social media website if it’s from your personal account.
In most situations, especially when it comes to the internet or social media, they very much can.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In most situations, especially when it comes to the internet or social media, they very much can.
So what you’re saying is that companies can take away freedom of speech and religious beliefs and there’s no protection from the government on this which is contrary to the anti discrimination laws.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So what you’re saying is that companies can take away freedom of speech and religious beliefs and there’s no protection from the government on this which is contrary to the anti discrimination laws.
I am saying what I said, in most cases a company can fire you for what you say online. Anti discrimination laws are quite narrow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My son recently sent me a post from a video gaming forum he frequents, and I was concerned enough to finally stop browsing this forum and actually make an account to post myself after I didn't find it anywhere here or in the gaming forum. It also finally gave me an excuse to read the rules just to be sure I wasn't breaking them with this post.

While this concerns video games I believe it's more politics than anything else, so I'm posting it here. I'm going to copy some of what my son sent me verbatim, but I have heavily edited the text in the image he sent me to remove any profanity. I try my best, but teenagers... and he didn't say any of it himself.

I triple checked the information on the public officials, and it's all available for the public. I didn't want to accidentally post anyone's private information, so I can promise you there's none of that below.

I wanted to spread this here in the hopes that others will stand up for what's right like John Gibson tried to do. This is bigger than him now, it's about all of us and our right to not be fired for holding a view that most of the country does! Over eighty percent of America believes there should be at least some restrictions on abortion, and forty percent believe it should be illegal in all or most cases. This is a religious belief, so it's protected by law.

I live in the South in the U.S., and have already sent messages to my Governor and Lt. Governor on facebook and left voicemails with both of their offices. I don't have that other social media website listed, but I encourage anyone who does to send messages.

My son exclusively uses gaming forums, so I wouldn't be surprised if no one here had heard about this. I certainly hadn't!

It took me a while and judicious use of MS Paint, but I managed to crop out an image of John Gibson's social media post that started that for everyone here to see.View attachment 305546
If we can't even say this much without discrimination, then the law isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I'll never understand why so many people are misinformed that private business owners can do whatever they want. It hasn't been true for decades and it's only gotten less true over time.

You can't fire someone for their religious beliefs, race, nationality, or gender. If you said, "I didn't fire him because he was a Christian, I fired him because he was a Christian against abortion!" you would get laughed out of any court in the country.

Most states, Texas included, you can be fired for any reason AND no reason whatsoever. In this case, he was not fired, he agreed to step down so he has literally no standing. Besides that, unless they specifically stated, in writing, they asked him to step down because of his tweet he is out of luck. They do not need to provide any reason at all, they just need to make it clear you are to leave the premises and do not come back to work as you are fired.

Simply put, you cannot sue for being fired when you quit. If he had any intention of fighting this, he would not have quit, he would have made them fire him.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am saying what I said, in most cases a company can fire you for what you say online. Anti discrimination laws are quite narrow.
Many companies have you sign an ethics and morales clause stating you know can and will be fired if you post or say things contrary to their accepted stance or that violates the morales and ethics the profess. He likely signed one, and that is likely why he stepped down IMO.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They only appear to be narrow when the victim is advocating Christian views. I’m certain that if he had made homosexual remarks then the whole world would be in an uproar about it and he’d be certain to win a lawsuit against the company.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many companies have you sign an ethics and morales clause stating you know can and will be fired if you post or say things contrary to their accepted stance or that violates the morales and ethics the profess. He likely signed one, and that is likely why he stepped down IMO.
These types of contracts should be illegal because they completely nullify anti discrimination laws.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They only appear to be narrow when the victim is advocating Christian views. I’m certain that if he had made homosexual remarks then the whole world would be in an uproar about it and he’d be certain to win a lawsuit against the company.
I doubt it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No - I don't believe we should regulate free speech. If it does not come from an official position within the company (he was not speaking on behalf of the company).

I am a conservative person - I own shares in Apple - should the CEO of Apple be removed from his position because he states something I don't agree with? That is ludicrous, unless the person is speaking for the company, it is none of my business.

Isn't that a pitiful statement on our times - how about is Walmart cuts all ties with people who hold personal opinions differing from theirs.

Let's cripple our country by being offended shall we?
And people boycott companies for way less than this. All company's bottom line is money. If a CEO or any C level employee makes statements that could cause a boycott, he/she will be terminated. If an employee signs an ethics and morale clause and violate it, they will be terminated.

Google search for company boycotts over political views.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a boomer and just popped my head out of my butt last year. My grandkids made me realize there is something bigger than myself. For 15 years I question the lies from the media and thought they should do this and that. Now looking at the world that I left the babies I am ashamed. I will be actively demanding the truth from my politicians. I have never been to a town hall with 30 years of politics but I will this time and will ask hard questions. Truth in policy, science, health, and the economy. If you look into health and the economy you'd leave the tribe too. Peace

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These types of contracts should be illegal because they completely nullify anti discrimination laws.
Making the clauses illegal completely nullifies the business's right to control the image they portray to the public. The business has the right to control its image through ethics and morale clauses. The employee has the right to not accept a position that requires them (or accept the position and accept being fired if they violate the clause).

I have an issue with non-compete clauses in specific circumstances. I do not accept positions that require them. Keeps everyone happy.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can you be certain that he was fired because of this comment?
There is no point in asking someone a question when they haven't been here for a couple of years. Why raise a dead thread?

John Gibson is doing fine now. It is pointless to boycott companies for something that happened such a long time ago.

Upvote 0