Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook. He posted on Facebook the following question, “What word best describes these countries?” Then he added pictures of slums areas with the captions, Somalia, Nigeria, Haiti, Bangladesh, Mexico.

The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.

This man was a friend of mine who I had previously met on a Christian forum – not this forum Im pleased to say. I replied …

… Extolling Trumps wealth as a virtue is stupid enough, but mocking the poor says more about you than it does about the unfortunate places you mention. I’m cancelling you from my friends list.

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook. He posted on Facebook the following question, “What word best describes these countries?” Then he added pictures of slums areas with the captions, Somalia, Nigeria, Haiti, Bangladesh, Mexico.

The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.

This man was a friend of mine who I had previously met on a Christian forum – not this forum Im pleased to say. I replied …

The moral preening around this issue is just unbelievable to me. The keywords: "says more about you".

Really?

You think people who live in the slums of Haiti, Somalia, Bangladesh and Mexico look around and go, "yes, this really is the high life here"? I think you mock the poor when you believe they don't KNOW they're poor. In fact, I think the very fact that we get so many immigrants from these nations would go to show that they want OUT of these desperate situations. I say: don't condescend to them by assuming they don't know they live in the worst situations the world has to offer. I'm sure they do. I think they get it. I think they understand their children rifle through garbage to get their food.

Now, do I like the turn of phrase Trump used to describe these nations? Not particularly. But would it surprise me if these desperate families used the very same desperate kinds of words to describe their circumstances? Nope, not at all. Life is desperate, especially when you're poor.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Not sure what your point is?

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The moral preening around this issue is just unbelievable to me. The keywords: "says more about you".

Really?

You think people who live in the slums of Haiti, Somalia, Bangladesh and Mexico look around and go, "yes, this really is the high life here"? I think you mock the poor when you believe they don't KNOW they're poor. In fact, I think the very fact that we get so many immigrants from these nations would go to show that they want OUT of these desperate situations. I say: don't condescend to them by assuming they don't know they live in the worst situations the world has to offer. I'm sure they do. I think they get it. I think they understand their children rifle through garbage to get their food.

Now, do I like the turn of phrase Trump used to describe these nations? Not particularly. But would it surprise me if these desperate families used the very same desperate kinds of words to describe their circumstances? Nope, not at all. Life is desperate, especially when you're poor.
...I think people trying to make this about the countries is almost as bad as President Trump complaining about "why are we having all these people from s@@@hole countries come here" could you explain why you seem to think this was about the countries and not really about "these people"? Because from where I'm sitting? That sounds more like President Trumps supporters desperately trying to spin what was said to find some way to defend the indefensible. :sigh:
tulc(just thought that needed to be pointed out) :wave:

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
...I think people trying to make this about the countries is almost as bad as President Trump complaining about "why are we having all these people from s@@@hole countries come here" could you explain why you seem to think this was about the countries and not really about "these people"? Because from where I'm sitting? That sounds more like President Trumps supporters desperately trying to spin what was said to find some way to defend the indefensible. :sigh:

Your post just made it about the "countries".

I just thought that needed to be pointed out.

:wave:

Coffee?

iu

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I think it's about immigration policy. While you're hung up on the verbiage of one man, I'm concerned about what immigration is doing to my nation. Look, Donald Trump is not my father, my brother, my pastor, my son or, God forbid, my husband. I'm not going to defend every word that falls from his lips, nor do I have to.

But even if he said exactly what was reported that he said, exactly as reported (which is questionable at best), the larger point is: WHY should we let in vast, vast numbers of very poor people with low skills who we will undoubtedly have to support with our tax dollars? When our own people can barely find work?

This is not a Christian argument here. The government is not a charity. Forget Donald Trump's poor wording. Can you tell me why America is duty-bound to let in all these poor, low-skilled workers when our own people are poor--when we have so many hungry children already in America?

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My point may be found in your signature line. I cant be bothered hanging around with contemptuous racists.

Hey look, I am better than that. "Off with their heads!" See there?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Really?

How in the world can you think that the OP is mocking the poor? How in the world can you get any of your accusations from what he wrote. It is a shame that a Christian would attack this man for taking a stand against prejudicial ways of thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How in the world can you think that the OP is mocking the poor? How in the world can you get any of your accusations from what he wrote. It is a shame that a Christian would attack this man for taking a stand against prejudicial ways of thinking.

Trump used a blunt, even profane word to say the same thing we all say: "Third world", "developing", etc. It's not prejudiced to point this out, and it's not "mocking the poor" to point out that people from these nations have less than others. It is simply the truth.

You actually mock the poor when you imply or state they don't know that, that they don't understand the dire situations in which they live. Like if we run around saying nice words about how wonderful Haiti is, it will make the crippling poverty easier to bear. It won't. That's what people who are comfortable think. THAT is demeaning, to tell you the truth.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Really?

The moral preening around this issue is just unbelievable to me.
i agree about the "moral preening".

Sickening.

:sick:

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Trump used a blunt, even profane word to say the same thing we all say: "Third world", "developing", etc. It's not prejudiced to point this out, and it's not "mocking the poor" to point out that people from these nations have less than others. It is simply the truth.
Why would a decent person even think that they are such an offensive word???? Third World country was actually a term referring to an area which wasn't aligned with either the Communist Bloc or NATO during the Cold War. Many of these countries weren't as economically developed and some began using the term to refer to that but there is always good and beauty to be found in these areas.

Trump, also, wasn't pointing out that people from those countries have less than others, he was pointing out just how he felt about those countries and their people. He seems to forget that he helped his Mar A Lago cronies bring in some of those people to work in their resort and other places around Florida and the US.
You actually mock the poor when you imply or state they don't know that, that they don't understand the dire situations in which they live.
How did you get that out of his OP? He didn't say that. How come you didn't something out of the fact that his ex-friend used slum pictures from those countries? Each of those countries each have considerable amounts of beauty in their countries.

We could go into every major metropolitan center in the world and find slum pictures. Would those slum pictures tell the whole story for those cities? No, and a normal person knows that.

Like if we run around saying nice words about how wonderful Haiti is, it will make the crippling poverty easier to bear. It won't.
I would agree with that but if we don't speak out against the prejudicial beliefs of the weak morals of many in this country, we make their immorality easier to bear. I applaud this man for speaking up.

That's what people who are comfortable think. THAT is demeaning, to tell you the truth.
He told the truth. The truth is that he never mocked the poor though he certainly made his point with totally uncompassionate ex-friend. I pray that his point gets through to that former friend and they feel the conviction to change.

God Bless

• Agree
Reactions: Searching1God
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook.

And you came on CF to post this?

Are you seeking applause?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The valid term for these nations are failed states. That is a State Dept term or was one when I was entangled in "nation building" in the Middle East.

These nations have despots (usually Marxist) who oppress their citizens by giving them just enough government services and basic essentials to keep revolutions from starting. Yet the conditions are horrible with little or no chance of personal improvements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I appreciate your sentiment and believe you are sincere. But I have to ask how stating the truth about a place is mocking the poor? Should we pretend that those countries are not full of desperately poor people? Should we not understand that such poverty is not God's plan for those countries? Should not honest photos of how things are evoke sympathy, empathy, anger at the situation that exists rather than anger at somebody who posts them?

Most countries are poor because they have governments that care nothing for and/or exploit the people while enriching themselves with what resources are available. Corruption in the government or allowing corruption is the number one reason most poor countries are poor. They really are miserable countries. All nations that respect human rights, have some equitable system of justice, and/or governments that encourage prosperity instead of corruption prosper and the poor are made more comfortable in poverty and have a path out of poverty.

The President could have chosen his words better, but he was not incorrect that we do our own country no favors when we weaken it economically, and we weaken it economically every time we bring in more people that are going to further strain social services much more than they will contribute to the national prosperity. And the weaker we are, the less we are able to provide assistance to and/or show poor nations the way out of their abject poverty.

We cannot take in all the world's poor or even a small fraction of it without lessening our ability to be a way out of poverty. But because we exist, a whole lot of nations are more free, more prosperous, and more beneficial to their people and the world than they likely would otherwise have been.

Acknowledging the poverty in poor countries and why it exists and/or seeing it as a bad thing is neither wrong nor hateful. It is a fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That doesn't sound like making fun of the poor in those countries. It sounds like a discussion acknowledging how bad poverty is in those countries. And it takes that to make the case for the problems with Trump's immigration policies to begin with. Which liberals in the US have pretty much done until Trump said the S word.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My mother would tell me that the only thing that separates us from the people in the third world countries is that we were fortunate enough to be born in the rich countries and they were born in the poor countries. While I don't disagree with Trump's concerns over sources of immigration, I think he has worded it very poorly and needs to grow up, be more professional, and take responsibility for his actions.
US Presidents don't have a history of meticulously sugarcoating serious problems while behind closed doors in the White House.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We could go into every major metropolitan center in the world and find slum pictures. Would those slum pictures tell the whole story for those cities? No, and a normal person knows that.

I would agree with that but if we don't speak out against the prejudicial beliefs of the weak morals of many in this country, we make their immorality easier to bear. I applaud this man for speaking up.

He told the truth. The truth is that he never mocked the poor though he certainly made his point with totally uncompassionate ex-friend. I pray that his point gets through to that former friend and they feel the conviction to change.

God Bless
Agree.
We could find slum pictures from almost every major city in the United States. We could also find numerous pictures of rural squalor throughout the USA. It would be curious to know whether or not the USA actually has more people living in slums/squalor than in some of the countries singled out.
The even sadder reality is that neoliberal policies of the last 40~ years in the US are only increasing the wealth inequality and number of those who are without.

“If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door you will not find him in the chalice”

Upvote 0