• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Video Game CEO fired over pro-life social media post

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by EricaMeeran, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+3,552
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Given that his statement lost them a contract, I would disagree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,888
    Agnostic
    Single
    "affect" [/grammarpolice]

As polarized as this nation is, posting a CEO taking a political opinion may alienate half the county... Which can't be good for his business.

Lose money; get the axe. Doesn't matter if you're the CEO or the janitor -- anyone is replaceable.

But of course -- but you don't see me trying to tell a multimillion-dollar Corporation how to handle its personnel issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. TLK Valentine

+27,888
    Agnostic
    Single
    And there you have it -- when you become a financial liability, you get canned like a tuna.

4. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+10,081
    Agnostic
    Married
    Can we separate free speech (Government action) from free expression (Private action)? It makes the conversation easier.

Should we regulate free expression? If not then that would indicate to me we should not do anything in this case. Regulation would be making it illegal to fire someone.

I agree with your opinion, but the question still remains. Should it be illegal to do so? My response is no because I don't think the right of free expression should trump the right of free association.

5. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+23,264
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    The point of games is that they are pretend not real life. Communists play Monopoly.

6. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+5,157
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I am well aware of that, but there is also connection to real life, which is why there aren't any games (that I know of, anyway) featuring child-rape or other sick things that people abhor in real life.

7. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+23,264
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Well, as kids we play cops and robbers, or cowboys and Native Americans, with good guys and bad guys and finger guns and 'dying'. But we don't play (I hope) child-rape. Making it a videogame doesn't change much about what we find entertaining to role-play as.

8. hislegacy

hislegacy Biden turns his back.

+10,449
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thank you for your opinion - we disagree.

effect (/grammarpolice) back atcha
    ef•fect ĭ-fĕkt′

• n.
      Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.
    • n.
      The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result.

Which is a sad statement on us - isn't it?

That makes two of us - yet here we both are giving our opinions on the matter. Just like an online discussion board - who would have thought it possible.

9. hislegacy

+10,449
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    side note: Some of us played Cowboys and Indians. In the 60's we had no clue what a Native American was - the term was never used.

I agree with your post!

10. hislegacy

+10,449
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Agreed

11. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+5,157
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I also played cops and robbers, army, etc. when I was a kid but not without my mom condemning it for being violent. I understand that gaming is fantasy and play but there has to be a part of it that is appealing to a person in real life for them to want to play it. That's why we play "shoot-em-up" games but not "child-rape" games.

And as kids go, they (hopefully) don't know what rape or chile-rape is yet, and what they DO know about cops and robbers, army, cowboys, etc. is a fictionalized less- or non-violent concept. They don't understand that shooting a living being causes such tremendous trauma to that person, they think it's just "bang bang!" and the person drops and dies instantly and painlessly. What appeals to kids is the right-and-wrong aspect of it more than the killing aspect - they understand the morality better than they understand the trauma of killing/harming people.

12. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,890
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The reason those games don't exist to any real degree is that the big gatekeepers like Sony, Microsoft, and Apple all have pretty rigid standards regarding in-game content. Some of those standards are technical (e.g. requirements for volume sliders and animated loading screens or restricting in-game payment options) and some of them are thematic (e.g. no hurting kids). If there were no gatekeepers and these platforms were entirely open, you'd see a lot more tasteless content like some of the stuff that was emerging in the late 90's and early 2000's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. TLK Valentine

+27,888
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well, good news, then -- "we" aren't regulating anything. The people with the money (and thus, the power) are doing what they want with it.

Given Wal-Mart's multi-billion dollar power, I think you'll find that if they are offended by something, the offense will be quickly rectified long before it has a chance to cripple the country.

Isn't the free market wonderful?

14. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+3,552
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    So you are fine with them losing business, so noted. The rest of the company disagreed.

15. TLK Valentine

+27,888
    Agnostic
    Single
    ICYMI -- that "n" before the definitions stands for "noun."

Whereas, in the sentence you used: "How does his one tweet supporting a pro life group effect a video game company?"

You needed the verb -- "affect."

Not especially, no. I'm not about to go out of my way to give money to people who make a point to alienate me.

Are you? If so, that's a sad statement on you - isn't it?

Indeed -- but there's something laughable about listening to a peasant tell the other peasants how the nobility ought to conduct itself. If you think about it, you'll laugh, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. hislegacy

+10,449
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Great message from one fellow peasant to another! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

17. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,890
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    FYI: "Effect" can also be a verb - in this case, it would mean bringing about or producing the result mentioned in that definition.

Regardless, you are correct in stating that @hislegacy should've used "affect" (which can also be a noun).

18. HARK!

HARK! שמע Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,314
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    MOD HAT ON

[​IMG]

MOD HAT OFF

19. Joy

Joy Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,837
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

Thread is Now Re-opened
    and
    Off Topic Posts have been Removed

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  20. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN CT Scans shows my dad's cancer is gone.

+4,200
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Deleted

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021