Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello TAW,

My baptized name is James - which was, praised be to God, also the name my parents gave to me. I was raised going by my middle name (Brad), but when I converted and was baptized, I was able to take the name of a venerable saint without rejecting the name my parents gave to me.

My patron is St. James, Brother of Christ, First Bishop of Jerusalem, author of the Epistle of St. James, James the Just, James the Righteous, James the martyr. Feast day is in October.

I am married (It will be one year as of Aug 20, 2007), but have no children. I sing base in my choir, and occasionally bore the high schoolers at my parish with musings about politics, religion, or other topics at our youth gatherings.

In Christ,
Macarius

PS: I thought it might be interesting to tell why we pick the internet names we do. I picked Macarius because it means "little warrior" - given my youth and... zeal... it seemed appropriate.

Upvote 0

hungrytiger

I don't know what I'm talking about.
Feb 2, 2006
✟1,421.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, since I think I've finally decided to give in again and stop just lurking, here goes...
1. My patron saint is Righteous Juliana of Lazarevo. and I really love her story. :)
2. OCA
3. I'm a convert. My husband and I were recieved by chrismation this last Holy Saturday :clap: I grew up in the Church of Christ and my husband grew up in the Catholic Church.
4. I sing soprano in the church choir. I've never been in a choir before so this is kind'a new to me. Never been in a church that had a choir before. Anyway, I'm glad to sing though it can be a bit scary at times. :)
I got my bachelors in physics a couple of years ago, and am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. ^_^
Oh, and my screen name is after a character I liked in the Oz books. He's friends with the Cowardly Lion.

Upvote 0

Chocolatesa

has commenced Theosis
Apr 14, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
✟9,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. Real first name: Sara

2. What jurisdiction: OCA

3. Status: Convert from catholic/lutheran, was baptized 8th of June '08

4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as:
marital status: separated, not my wish :(
children: no
pets: 2 black stray cats and one husky at my parents place. Used to own rats but developed an allergy, I love rats :D
hobbies: photography, cooking, reading
church activies: none yet

I love to try strange new foods, my mom is from Sweden, I've moved over 25 times in my life, am bilingual (french and english, seeing as I'm in Quebec) but english is my mother tongue. Went to college and got kicked out after failing two semesters in a row and have been working for 5 years now. I'm currently working in the calling center of a shipping company taking inbound calls for pickups since a year now. I've lived on my own since I was 16, left home to go to school. Have one sister who's 12 years younger than me. I like to play tamtam, even though I don't have much practice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JuvenalyMartinka

Chrismated: 11.04.07
Sep 6, 2004
Fresno, CA
✟603.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My birth name is Joseph Michael, but go by the Russian "pet form" of my middle name, Misha.

I was born and raised RC, spent 2 yrs in RC seminary and then came to Orthodoxy through a Traditionalist group.

Moved to Fresno and now attend the Serbian Church. Was received thru Chrismation in Nov. of this year. Sing baritone in the choir.

My wife is Katya and we are expecting our first daughter any day now (literally, she is stubborn and late)

Other than that not a lot to tell.

If you want to chat you can hit the "Let's Chat" thread and find my info in there.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just looking at this list (and this was the UPDATED list) and thinking of the casualties - people who have dropped out (or at least changed their user names).

An incomplete list:

eoe
Handmaiden of God
Theoforos
Oblio
Photini
Byzantine Dixie
Moses the Black
Nickolai
Annoula
Rick of Wessex
Kamikat
DonVA
RobNJ
Moses 916
Vasya Davidovich and Grand_Duchess-Elizabeth
Eusebios
Choirfiend
ufonium2
Vanshan
Happy Orthodox
Momzilla

Just remembering fallen comrades, MIA or whatever status.
(I'm aware that a few have very occasionally popped in - but when you almost feel like you know someone and then they disappear...)

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rusmeister,

As we all adjust to the changes Lee has brought and a few little changes coming that I believe effect staff and not members, we will become more stable.

I also plan eventually to reach out to some of the members who have left and try to invite them to come back. I want to take care of a few other things first but it is on my to do list as manager.

Upvote 0

musicluvr

Nov 28, 2007
✟7,631.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. Real first name: Katie/kt
3. Status: convert(at a young age, however, so it a lot of ways i'm more like cradle)
4. marital status: not married

children: none
pets: an awesome orange furry cat named Fatso =]
hobbies: (look at my profile ;-))
church activies: at the moment just youth group

I'm totally new to this site, but some of ya'll might know me from orthodoXCircle...anyways if there's anything else you wanna know, feel free to talk to me =] (i love meeting new people;-))

Upvote 0

EricTheRed

Mercurius
Jun 15, 2005
Texas
✟9,837.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. Real first name: Katie/kt
3. Status: convert(at a young age, however, so it a lot of ways i'm more like cradle)
4. marital status: not married

children: none
pets: an awesome orange furry cat named Fatso =]
hobbies: (look at my profile ;-))
church activies: at the moment just youth group

I'm totally new to this site, but some of ya'll might know me from orthodoXCircle...anyways if there's anything else you wanna know, feel free to talk to me =] (i love meeting new people;-))

What a pleasant surprise Katie :-D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Henrik
OCA
Convert

cradle orthodox from Ukraine but been bouncing around between parishes and jurisdictions (move around a lot)

currently in an OCA church in Maynard, Mass.

sing in the choir (bass)

Welcome to both of you! Hope you keep coming back!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Never really identified myself. Real name is Ed , a convert(baptised as David from King David & St David of Wales). Chrismated Pascha 2005. Parish: St Mary Antiochian Orthodox in Pennsylvania, USA. use Lukaris as an Id as in the tragic 17th century patriarch of Constantinople.

Upvote 0

ChicaOrtodoxa

Feb 25, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟7,634.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. Real first name or Nameday Name (this like everything is optional)
2. What jurisdiction your parish is in. (OCA, Greek, etc.)
3. Status: Orthodox, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith) Inquirer (not yet fully serious but interested.)
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc, IM information can be shared if you are willing to have anyone here add you.

1. Real first name is Alessandra, church name is Alexandra.

2. Came in through the Greek church, currently attending an OCA church, but when I get married will end up attending an Antiochian church (3 different places in the country... :p).

3. Orthodox Convert as of Lazarus Saturday 4 years ago.

4. I'm currently engaged, oldest of 9 children, I like to write, and I sing in the choir (soprano, unless my throat is scratchy and then it's more mezzo-soprano/alto). If you want to IM me, PM me first.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

johnwfenton

FrFenton
Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
✟15,172.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The unworthy priest, Fr John W Fenton

Priest in the Diocese of Toledo & the Midwest within the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catechumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert

4. Any other interesting points of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activities such as singing in the choir, etc.

Priest of a Western Rite parish in Lincoln Park, MI (near Detroit); teacher at a Catholic High School; married with 7 children.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The unworthy priest, Fr John W Fenton

Priest in the Diocese of Toledo & the Midwest within the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catechumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert

4. Any other interesting points of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activities such as singing in the choir, etc.

Priest of a Western Rite parish in Lincoln Park, MI (near Detroit); teacher at a Catholic High School; married with 7 children.

Father bless,
Welcome to TAW!

Upvote 0