Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Real first name or Nameday Name (this like everything is optional)

Christian: Christopher, ND May 6
Secular: Chris(topher)

2. What jurisdiction your parish is in. (OCA, Greek, etc.)

OCA - Diocese of the South, Archbishop +DMITRI

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert, Tonsured Reader

ex Southern Baptist, raised UCC Congregationalist

4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc

Married: Wife Alexandra
Children: Anna, Loukas (due Feb 2) Step Children: Kristen,David,Erin
Education: BSEE
Occupation: Keyboard pounder, currently hacking embedded z8000,z8 assembly.

Reactions: Michael G
Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My user name and real name are the same : Emmanuel. My nameday is Christmas.

I'm in a Moscow Patriarchate (ROC) parish in Paris (diocese of Chersonese under Mgr Innocent). It follows the NC though.

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer

Convert. I was accepted in the Church last april (2005) on Lazarus Saturday.

I was raised a roman catholic, forgot about christianity between the ages of about 15 and 25 and tried different things, then rediscoverd it in the Orthodox church, without bias this time.

4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc

I'm single, have master's degree in accounting and finance and work in a bank. I study theology at St Sergius Institute. I like history, literature, gastronomy among other things and am involved in a charity that helps children of monoparental families.

Upvote 0

Petronius

May 10, 2005
✟15,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here are the questions that you can quote and answer for ease:

Real names: Petronius Nicolae, Nicolae is the Romanian for Nicholas so this is my Saint name too. So I am Romanian.

Romanian Orthodox hurch, but because I live now in Prague, Czechia, I am attending the Orthodox Church in the Czech lands and Slovakia.

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen,

Latin Craddle Orthodox

4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc.

Married, my wife is Czech. We married in 1987 in an Orthodox Church in Romania and several years later she officially converted to Orthodoxy.
No children for natural reasons, but a nice pet, Havanese bichon.
I am hadji, I've been in pilgrimage in the Holy Land. We were received by the late Patriarch of Jerusalem, Diodoros.

I am running my own company, selling aircraft parts and started to build small airplanes in Romania with an American, who got serious health problems after all was set up and ready to start. We cope now a lot with the situation, but there are some serious hopes and with God's help we hope to live soon better times.

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Steve; Spyridon 12/12

OCA Diocese of the South

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert: Chrismated 12/19/04
Grew up Fundamentalist, Independent Baptist; Traveled thru Presbyterianism and Lutheranism to get to Orthodoxy.

4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, etc.

Married w/ 2 children
Pembroke Welsh corgi dog; 2 cats
Hobbies: reading, flyfishing, gettig into woodworking

Working to establish an Orthodox mission in our town.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
thornygrace said:
4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, etc.

Thanks.

:wave:

My baptismal name is Photini. In the world, Heather. I was baptised in, and currently attend a Greek Orthodox Church. I am a convert, and was baptised on June 29, 2003. :clap:

Upvote 0

FlyFast

Dec 24, 2005
Alaska
✟250.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Real first name: Keith
Nameday name: None yet

Greek

Catecumen

Married with 3 children
My wife is very anti-Orthodox :cry: :prayer:

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
thornygrace said:
Remember that it is optional to participate but the purpose of this thread is for a roster. If you do not wish to state your status especially, feel free skip this thread. It is not a requirement.

Here are the questions that you can quote and answer for ease:

OK, I suppose it's my turn!

1. Rusmeister (Those that know me have no need of my name...)
2. Moscow Patriarch, but OCA is very important to me, as MP doesn't provide English language support.
3. Convert; cradle Catholic, raised fundamental Baptist, agnostic adulthood followed by conversion
4. ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher in Russia; married, 3 kids.
HobbIES (change the y to i and add es :sorry: ):
Board games, tactics/strategy stuff

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Rosemarie (or Rose)...my saint name is Mary (the "Unfading Rose", our most Holy Theotokos)

Greek (although I have a very strong interest in Western Rite)

Convert. Chrismated 15 April 2006

2 son's, both graduating in May, one from Georgia Tech, one from high school. I am a chemist by education and have worked in the pharmaceutical industry (primarily veterinary health) in Quality Operations for just about my entire career. My husband is not converting...but he is "tolerant". I participate in the OXWOM (OrthodoX WithOut My Spouse) Yahoo group which has been an excellent source of support and encouragement.

Upvote 0

Jebediah

Senior Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
✟3,940.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Neal Alan (I think Fr. Timothy might let me get away with St. Alanus)

Greek

Serious inquirer, about to become catechumate after Fr. Timothy calls me (new to the parish, he says has scheduling issues and might have one other person to get info from).

Married, no children, college student, computers and computer gaming, I TA in formal logic and philosophy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Prokeimenon!

like unto bees about a honeycomb
Feb 3, 2004
some crummy town
✟18,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
thornygrace said:

Thanks.

Moses (as in Moses the Black or Moses the Ethiopian)
Antiochian
Convert - Tonsured Reader
I have a wife, 4 cats, and 2 buns in the oven. I'm currently Protopsaltis and temporary choir director at a mission Parish.

Reactions: cassc
Upvote 0

Nickolai

Eastern Orthodox Priest
Dec 31, 2003
Bethlehem, PA
Visit site
✟10,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Real first name or Nameday Name

Legal Name - Jesse
Namesday - Nikolai (After St. Nikolai Kasatkin, Enlightener of Japan)

OCA, Western PA, Archbishop KYRILL

Convert

Will be tonsured a reader next month, And start Seminary at St. Tikhon's in the Fall (provided my priest gets my application in soon)

Upvote 0
C

CarpathoRusyn

Alyosha, Alexis (St. Alexis Toth)

OCA

3. Status:

Convert. Roman Catholic for 44 years.

4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share:

Married with children. Spouse did not convert but agrees to let me bring kids whenever they want to attend. They love Vespers and Divine Liturgy. (Thank you God).

Upvote 0

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Annoula is my real nickname

Orthodox Church of Greece

Cradle - Doomed to be Orthodox

I am currently trying to find God.
apart from that...nothing much for the time.

Upvote 0

joyfulthanks

The long day is over. Praise the Lord!
May 4, 2005
✟5,769.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
On further reflection - nevermind about adding me to the list. My priest isn't particularly enthusiastic about Orthodox discussion forums, and I think that it would be best for me at this stage of my inquiry to stop frequenting TAW for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

With love in Christ,
Grace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick of Wessex

Alive and kicking!
Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Ricardo, but you may call me Rick. My name day would be Richard, for St. Richard of Wessex (February 7th)

Currently attending a parish of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Ecumenical Patriarchate (Eparchy of South America)

3. Status:

Convert, from the Roman Catholic Church. Chrismated on Holy Saturday on April 18th, 1998.

Happily married to a wonderful Orthochick. No kids yet.

Lay reader at my parish.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Matrona Danger Golightly ;) after St. Matrona of Chiopolitidon

Antiochian

Converted; I was received into the Church on April 26th, 2003

I have two pet rabbits and I sing in the choir. I also enjoy music and reading.

Upvote 0

Katherine_van_Orvelte

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Katherine for Katherine of Alexandria (November 24-ish)

I'm actually between juridstictions at the moment. Russian in general though. Technically, still registered at MP parish, though I currently attend an OCA parish.

Convert. Baptized in the Coptic Orthodox Church actually. Long story. Switched mostly because my husband is MP and is heading into ordination at some point.

Attend St. Vladimir's Seminary (hence the OCA). MA student in Christian Theology. I have a pet rose plant, which isn't doing to well. Currently addicted to the online role-playing game Guild Wars. And I like european music videos.

Upvote 0
D

DavidG

thornygrace said:

David

thornygrace said:

Antiochian

thornygrace said:

Inquirer

thornygrace said:

My parents are United Methodist. I've been an obnoxious atheist most of my life, and a Christian less than a year. I formerly attended a non-denominational evangelical protestant church.

Upvote 0