Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Real first name or Nameday Name
Andrea

2. What jurisdiction your parish is in. (OCA, Greek, etc.)
OCA
3. Status:
Catechumen
4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, etc.
Married to a non-Christian, two sons, one in elementary school, the other in preschool, 2 young Rough Collies, one cat. I am a stay-at-home mom and part time hairstylist, in my home. I sew, quilte and cross sitch and am a big time sci-fi geek, brown coat and whovian (new Dr, not old).

kamikat

Reactions: cassc
Upvote 0

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Xenia Rose said:
Remember that it is optional to participate but the purpose of this thread is for a roster. If you do not wish to state your status especially, feel free skip this thread. It is not a requirement.

Here are the questions that you can quote and answer for ease:
1. Real first name or Nameday Name (this like everything is optional)

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc
My name is Don.
My patron Saint is John The Apostle.
I'm a cradle Orthodox, baptized in an Antiochian Church, but am currently working my way into one of two Greek Orthodox Churches (there's a HUGE cathedral here, but I attend at the smaller parish).
I'm single, never married, and am in the process of adopting a 13 year old boy... a very long process through fostering, but worth it (he's been with me for two years).
We have a VERY playful 15 year-old cocker-beagle mix named Barney.
Swimming's big around here, as is reading, chess, playing card games, and for ONE of us--video games (which I refer to as electronic thumb-twiddling!).

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Andrew

Nameday- November 30/December 13

OCA

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert

4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, etc

I'm married and sing in my Church choir.

Upvote 0

Baylumzass

Jun 29, 2006
✟7,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hello, from Baylumzass :wave:

1. Real name: Collin Grace
2. Jurisdiction: OCA

3. Status: Convert
4. Marital status: yes I'm married so leave me alone!

5. Children: Yes, I have a tribe of seven.
6. Pets: Technically no, but I have a dogsled team. It is more of a form of transport than a pack of furry couch pillows that eat and poop.
7. Hobby's: No, to busy surviving.
8. Church activies: Yes, I am a reader, a lousy one. It is hard to be a reader and scold my children at the same time.

Upvote 0

Baylumzass

Jun 29, 2006
✟7,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hello, from Baylumzass :wave:

1. Real name: Collin Grace
2. Jurisdiction: OCA

3. Status: Convert
4. Marital status: yes I'm married so leave me alone!

5. Children: Yes, I have a tribe of seven.
6. Pets: Technically no, but I have a dogsled team. It is more of a form of transport than a pack of furry couch pillows that eat and poop.
7. Hobby's: No, to busy surviving.
8. Church activies: Yes, I am a reader, a lousy one. It is hard to be a reader and scold my children at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rainbowbright

Veteran
Sep 4, 2005
exactly opposite of where I'd rather be
✟17,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Real first name- Alisa, baptised Alexandria after Alexander of Constantinople

Jurisdiction- OCA

Status- converted; wasbaptised March 12 2005,
Came over from the Episcopal church

Other info- Married for six years and have two kids and expecting two more in October. I love playing piano and singing in choirs that sing 16th century polyphany. Sometimes sing in church choir depending on the weather and if I'm not pregnant

Upvote 0

Vasileios

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Apr 15, 2006
Crete
✟15,480.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Name:
Vassilios Kouroumalis (greek spelling Vasileios/Βασίλειος)
Vassilis (what people actually call me)
Basil (what my parents and a couple other people called me when we stayed in the UK)
Vic (what English speaking people call me because Vassilios gives em trouble, my nickname on the net since forever, my cool metal nickname-Megadeth's mascot! Its my initials btw, ok, with a C...)
------

Patron Saint: St. Basil the Great (1st of January)
------

Jurisdiction:
Church of Crete (autocephalous Greek church that is directly under the jurisdiction of the EP)
Archbishop: +Eirinaios

My parish is St. Matthew that is a metochion of the Church of Sinai. So I guess my Jurisdiction is Sinai under archbishop Damianos.

My spiritual father is the bishop of Ierapitnis & Sitia (thats in the south-east of Crete, Ierapetra), +Evgenios (Eugene)

-------

Cradle Orthodox

-------

Married to Kalliopi, no children
MSc student at the University of Crete, studying Human Computer Interaction (thats roughly user interface design etc)
Working under scholarship at the Foundation of Research and Technology in Heraclion as an HCI Designer

Short bio:
I was born on the13th of June in Athens. Baptized two months later. I am 5th child of a family of 7 children, both parents are doctors.

When I was 6 months old my family moved to Scotland because my dad did his PhD there. Stayed 3 years in Dundee.
Moved to London for another year
Moved back to Athens, where we stayed for 7 years.
1990, moved to Heraclion, Crete (that place where the Minoan palace of Knossos is!) as my dad became a professor of medicine at the University of Crete.
1996 went to the UK to study Computer Science. Grand total of years in the UK, 9. Stayed in Greenwich and Bristol.
2002 moved back to Crete, for good (God willing).
Married on the 22nd of August 2005.
------
Hobbies:

Music. Been a metalhead since I was 9 yrs old.
Other than that I love *all* kinds of music, excluding popular folk-pop Greek music (endless drivel about "baby you drive me crazy" in A minor on the buzuki, AKA skyladiko or doggy music - beats me)

Byzantine chant is my absolute favourite. Literally, including aesthetically.

Reading. Favourite author (besides Orthodox stuff): Douglas Adams (of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame) and JRR Tolkien.
Favourite books: The Hitch-hiker's Guide and The Lord of the Rings (surprise)

Movies. Star Wars freak.
Then lots of stuff.
Favourite directors: Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam.

Computers:
Commodore 64 (the best computer in the universe) and Monkey Island (the best series of games in the universe) are the pinnacles of my computer experience.

Other stuff:
I used to be in a thrash metal band for some years. I pretended singing. My voice is actually terrible but thats a good thing in thrash. And no, I'm not being humble.
Recorded a demo, played some gigs, good times.

Upvote 0

Elizabethcynthia32

Jul 17, 2006
Central Florida
✟7,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Namesday: July 18, St. Elizabeth the New Martyr

Carpatho-Russian
3. Status: Convert, baptized right before Lent, Sunday of the Last Judgement, February 26, 2006
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc

I'm married to Buddy, who was baptized with me. I have two children from a previous marriage and they are attending the Baptist Church with their dad most Sundays since he has them most weekends (although my youngest heavily leans toward Orthodox), and we have three cats. I am a homemaker but I've worked as a secretary, diet clerk, and mental health tech. My hobbies are gardening (flowers and veggies), reading, writing (I write for a small local paper), cooking, and sewing. Our church is a very small mission church, so I don't really do much yet except provide candles and sometimes the coffee hour pastries.

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Xenia Rose said:
Remember that it is optional to participate but the purpose of this thread is for a roster. If you do not wish to state your status especially, feel free skip this thread. It is not a requirement.

Here are the questions that you can quote and answer for ease:

My Nameday name is Moses, after Moses prophet and Godseer of Israel. The day is celebrated on Sept. 4th.

I was chrismated and received into Orthodoxy by an Antiochian priest, in the buliding of a GOA parish, on Pentecost of '98. Our Pan-Orthodox parish priest was move, and so I now worship in a parish of the Westrm Rite Vicarite of the AOA, and serve at my priests biding as a sub-deacon (of which there's about four in the parish; all ordained by His Grace Bishop Basil Essey)

Just answered that one

I'm married, and the father of a brood, the oldest is an Army Sgt. the youngest is "cute as a button". She makes my heart smile!
Sketer is about 110 in human years, and Callie is our house cat.
I graduated with a BFA (bachelor of Fine Arts) degree from a church related university.
I have written what I'd like to call poetry for a very ling time. I've tried parallelism, stepped parallelism, rhyme, and most recently haiku. My other interests hav e been photography and the martial arts.

I'd like to think (as I've said in the past) that for a living I do what God tells me. Currently I work at a prison as a Corrections Officer.

:crosseo: a bondservant of :bow: The Lord

Upvote 0

KatherineOCA

Aug 12, 2006
✟15,201.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here goes:
1. My name is Katherine. My patron saint is St. Katherine of Alexandria, the Great Martyr.
2. I attend an OCA church in the deeeep South (everyone has to be south of something, deah heart)
3. I am a convert to Orthodoxy (chrismation January 2, 2005). The journey goes from Southern Baptist (Baptized) to Baha'i (apostasy) to Christianity (Southern Baptist again) to Episcopal (ECUSA) for 10 years and (sigh) home to the Orthodox Church. (God is good and has not cast me off)
4. In the world I am a divorced mother and grandmother. I am a school psychologist in a large urban school district. In the church I work with adults in Church School; I help cook; and I love to read and talk about the Orthodox faith with anyone who wants to discuss it. Recently I have been introduced to the Blues, the American roots music and I hope to retire within the year. Thanks for the read!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aomagrat

Sep 2, 2006
The Palmetto State
✟7,663.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My name is Gerald, call me Jerry.
My patron saint is St. Gerald of Mayo (13 March)
I attend an Antoichan Orthodox Church.
I am a convert from Southern Baptist, I was Chrismated 11 December 2005.
I retired from the US Navy in 2002.
I have been divorced since 1983, I have one grown son.
I live with my mother and my greyhound.

Upvote 0

ObviousRon

Aug 23, 2006
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
1. My name is Max and my patron is Joseph the Betrothed
2. The jurisdiction of my parish is the Antiochian Archdiocese
3. I'm a convert and was chrismated on the Sunday of the Prodigal Son 2006
4. I'm engaged and we have plans to marry in September 2007. Also, I'm studying toward my bachelor's degree and am in my final semester. I recently took on a job as a student assistant in the administrative affairs office of the university I attend.

Upvote 0

PandaBear

Jan 3, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
✟16,056.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, never mind. I just read the moderator posts in the "required reading" thread, and I guess by TAW definitions I'm not Orthodox, so don't add me to your list. I'm a gay person, it's not gonna change, and I do happen to disagree that it's a closed matter. But it's not my forum and I'm not going to disobey the rules.

Take care.

Upvote 0