Melania Trump's prayer was a shot in the culture war.

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Bowling Greene, the attack in Sweden (which was actually carried out by white nationalists), etc. He manipulates facts without alot of regard for the truth. I realize public accountability is a new thing for Trump, but it is his duty as the President to have to answer for his mistakes and to seek to do better. Instead, he minimizes them or blames a conspiracy of the media. This is a sign of not being truly sincere, and it's not Christian behavior.

Kellyanne Conway mentioned Bowling Greene and has since apologized for it. How is that Trump's fault?

As for Sweden I wrote about that too: President Trump was right about Sweden. - Christian Nationalism He was referencing a piece on Fox News about migrant violence which is really beyond debate. The numbers speak for themselves.

And is media collusion with the Left really a "conspiracy"? At which point does a conspiracy theory become a conspiracy reality?

• Agree
Reactions: Janice Orbi
Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your insinuation that her public display of her faith is a marketing ploy is worse than criticism.
It might be. He's a populist and I personally don't have a problem with that. He can play to what we want, and we want a pretty woman who prays. [Staff edit]. I'll take whatever DJT is peddling. [Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Reactions: Kevin Ambrose
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As for Sweden I wrote about that too: President Trump was right about Sweden. - Christian Nationalism He was referencing a piece on Fox News about migrant violence which is really beyond debate.

Alot of those statistics are misleading. Sexual assault in Sweden is accounted for differently than in the United States, hence more per-capita rapes reported in Sweden. There is simply more reporting going on than in the US, because Sweden has a government that takes rape seriously as an issue.

The idea that Europeans have a serious problem with migrant violence is wrong. I know people that visit Europe (because they are German) and I know someone here on this forum who work with Muslim refugee communities over there. None describe a significant problem there. The entire country of Sweden (over 9.6 million people) had fewer homicides last year than the county I live in (Orange County, Florida, near where Trump spoke).

And is media collusion with the Left really a "conspiracy"? At which point does a conspiracy theory become a conspiracy reality?

Or maybe the Right likes liars and spindoctors now so much that they can't find any legitimate journalists that will back up their claims.

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Alot of those statistics are misleading. Sexual assault in Sweden is accounted for differently than in the United States, hence more per-capita rapes reported in Sweden. There is simply more reporting going on than in the US, because Sweden has a government that takes rape seriously as an issue.

The idea that Europeans have a serious problem with migrant violence is wrong. I know people that visit Europe (because they are German) and I know someone here on this forum who work with Muslim refugee communities over there. None describe a significant problem there. The entire country of Sweden (over 9.6 million people) had fewer homicides last year than the county I live in (Orange County, Florida, where Trump spoke).

Or maybe the Right likes liars and spindoctors now so much that they can't find any legitimate journalists that will back up their claims.

I have family still in Scandinavia and my fiancee has traveled to France in the past few years (though before the "migrant crisis") and their stories directly contradict what you're saying.

Sweden goes to great lengths to cover up the truth in regards to the spike in sexual violence. They are going to pay the price in the next elections.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It might be. He's a populist and I personally don't have a problem with that.

He brags about sexually assaulting women. He got caught in a huge "university" scam, and had to pay millions in restitution. He lies over all sorts of things, many of them obvious and inconsequential.

I have a problem with those things.

[Staff edit].

I'll take whatever DJT is peddling.

So did the guys who paid thousands for his worthless "Trump University" scam. He's really good at getting people to trust him. But most of them live to regret it.

[Staff edit].

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
He brags about sexually assaulting women. He got caught in a huge "university" scam, and had to pay millions in restitution. He lies over all sorts of things, many of them obvious and inconsequential.

I have a problem with those things.

Let's just be clear: he was talking about a consensual act, as disgusting as it was. His exact words were "they let you". That is not assault.

It is also not Christian. But he has apologised for it and sought forgiveness. What more would you ask of him?

Upvote 0

zara<3

Feb 15, 2017
earth
✟11,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have family still in Scandinavia and my fiancee has traveled to France in the past few years (though before the "migrant crisis") and their stories directly contradict what you're saying.

Sweden goes to great lengths to cover up the truth in regards to the spike in sexual violence. They are going to pay the price in the next elections.

It's happening everywhere.

Liberal teacher takes in a Refugee for a few nights, then co-worker walks in on sick surprise

Reactions: Kevin Ambrose
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's just be clear: he was talking about a consensual act, as disgusting as it was. His exact words were "they let you". That is not assault.

Yes, it is. He claimed that his status as a media star let him do it. Every rapist says "she didn't fight me."

And of course, he was bragging to his pal about adultery while married to his current wife. But she can hardly complain; if he was willing to cheat on the last wife with her, she shouldn't be surprised that he'd cheat on her, too.

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, it is. He claimed that his status as a media star let him do it. Every rapist says "she didn't fight me."

And of course, he was bragging to his pal about adultery while married to his current wife. But she can hardly complain; if he was willing to cheat on the last wife with her, she shouldn't be surprised that he'd cheat on her, too.

There is an entire subculture of women whose entire purpose in life is to be a sexual object to men with money. They debase themselves for band members, athletes, businessmen, et cetera. I highly doubt Trump was forcing himself on one of these women and in fact his words reflect the opposite. The fact people in this thread are willing to see that as assault while explaining away what is happening in Sweden as innocent is really telling.

We agree on the adultery. I hope he's learned from his past sins and continues to seek forgiveness for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is an entire subculture of women whose entire purpose in life is to be a sexual object to men with money. They debase themselves for band members, athletes, businessmen, et cetera. I highly doubt Trump was forcing himself on one of these women and in fact his words reflect the opposite.

A good number of the women he assaulted have come forward and complained. He's become the Bill Cosby of politics.

We agree on the adultery. I hope he's learned from his past sins and continues to seek forgiveness for them.

What sign of that have you seen? Now it's true that we've had sleazeball presidents before, and some of them have done a pretty good job. But given the mess he's made of it so far, that doesn't look very likely either, does it?

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
A good number of the women he assaulted have come forward and complained. He's become the Bill Cosby of politics.

What sign of that have you seen? Now it's true that we've had sleazeball presidents before, and some of them have done a pretty good job. But given the mess he's made of it so far, that doesn't look very likely either, does it?

More fake news. How many of those lawsuits popped up conveniently before the election and were dropped immediately after?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe in separation of the institutions of government and church, and I acknowledge the functional interaction of religion and public life.

BTW, that's the stance of all Lutheran churches in the US since the 50's. Even the liberal ones like the ELCA reject the privatization of religion (also known as pietism), it runs contrary to our religious ethos to insist that religion only impacts ones private life. We just haven't worked out some alternative to secularism that doesn't involve principles that are contrary to the distinction between Law and Gospel.

The dominionist/transformationalist approach tends to be part of the Reformed tradition (and not even all of it, just the Dutch inspired teachings of the Neo-Reformed), and it leads to the "culture war" mentality where to be a Christian means to constantly assert ones religion as privileged in public life, through political power if necessary. That is quite frankly alien to Lutheranism. As Jesus said, his kingdom is not of this world. The Kingdom does not come through worldly power, though we can certainly serve our neighbor in good conscience through "unrighteous" or worldly means. (Luke 16:9).

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is no such thing as Christian Nationalism.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

You have a choice to make. Choose wisely.

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
BTW, that's the stance of all Lutheran churches in the US since the 50's. Even the liberal ones like the ELCA reject the privatization of religion (also known as pietism), it runs contrary to our religious ethos to insist that religion only impacts ones private life. We just haven't worked out some alternative to secularism that doesn't involve principles that are contrary to the distinction between Law and Gospel.

The dominionist/transformationalist approach tends to be part of the Reformed tradition (and not even all of it, just the Dutch inspired teachings of the Neo-Reformed), and it leads to the "culture war" mentality where to be a Christian means to constantly assert ones religion as privileged in public life, through political power if necessary. That is quite frankly alien to Lutheranism. As Jesus said, his kingdom is not of this world. The Kingdom does not come through worldly power, though we can certainly serve our neighbor in good conscience through "unrighteous" or worldly means. (Luke 16:9).

And a large reason why I left the Lutheran church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

You have a choice to make. Choose wisely.

Christian Nationalism is a necessary defense of the Christian people and faith due in large part to stances like your own.

It exists. And it isn't going anywhere.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Yeah, from a Lutheran perspective that idea is theologically problematic, as I pointed out. It doesn't mean we think the decline of religion in public life is a good thing, but we haven't seen a public policy alternative that doesn't involve confusing the central Christian message.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian Nationalism is a necessary defense of the Christian people and faith due in large part to stances like your own.

Why does the faith need a defender (fidei defensor)? Sounds very medieval Roman Catholic to me. The faith doesn't need defenders, it needs martyrs and confessors.

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Why does the faith need a defender (fidei defensor)? Sounds very medieval Roman Catholic to me. The faith doesn't need defenders, it needs martyrs and confessors.

This approach to things is certainly producing plenty of martyrs.

Upvote 0