Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to a new book, Game Change, by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. Lots o'gossip to be had there (Reid's remark).

Book 'Game Change' portrays Sarah Palin as unstable ignoramus who believed Saddam was behind 9/11

The morning of her ill-fated CBS interview with Katie Couric, Palin - "her eyes glassy and dead" - was unresponsive to attempts to prep her as she was being made up.

"As they were about to set off to meet Couric, Palin announced 'I hate this makeup' - smearing it off her face, messing up her hair, complaining she looked fat," the book relates.

Palin went on to give answers to Couric that were so incoherent the interview permanently damaged her.​

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Palin went on to give answers to Couric that were so incoherent the interview permanently damaged her.

And then claimed that Couric was trying to damage her by asking such hard-hitting questions as "what books do you read?".

McCain picked a horrible running mate.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Museveni

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Feb 28, 2007
Sweden
✟8,845.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Thought it was more or less common knowledge these days that Palin cost McCain the election? Best thing that can happen for the Democrats really is that she's running in 2012. Obama can just walk out of the White House, point at Palin and go "Thats your alternative" then go and play Playstation for the rest of the election process and still win.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obama can just walk out of the White House, point at Palin and go "Thats your alternative" then go and play Playstation for the rest of the election process and still win.

The fact that in most elections, that's what the campaign amounts to, pointing out how bad the other guy is, rather than trying to show how good you are, is the major problem with American politics today. If, as someone in office, the only standard you have to meet is " not as bad as the other guy" of course they aren't going to reallybe doing the best possible job.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The real problem with the system is that to become President you have to endure an incredible amount of scrutiny, live in the spotlight, and not have any skeletons in your closet.

Very few people are up for that.

The most we can hope for is that the President will appoint good solid advisors and be able to listen to and understand them.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thought it was more or less common knowledge these days that Palin cost McCain the election?

I have no use whatsoever for SP, but I wouldn't blame her for the loss. Firstly, it was a horrible time to be a Republican. I doubt anyone could have salvaged the McCain campaign. Secondly, he was such a weak candidate from the outset. He never had enthusiastic support from the right-wing Republican base. So he couldn't pick a moderate running mate who might have broadened his appeal (Democrat Joe Lieberman running for VP on the GOP ticket would have definitely been a game changer.) And after that bone-headed stunt where he "suspended" his campaign and tried to postpone the first debate in order to deal with the economic crisis, there was no hope.

Reactions: craigerNY
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And then claimed that Couric was trying to damage her by asking such hard-hitting questions as "what books do you read?".

Ringo

If you don't read books it could be a hard question.

:D

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you don't read books it could be a hard question.

biggrin.gif

Which is exactly why she had such trouble answering the question.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,216,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ringo

If he was the one doing the picking...sometimes there some pressure from hidden sources.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,216,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thought it was more or less common knowledge these days that Palin cost McCain the election? Best thing that can happen for the Democrats really is that she's running in 2012. Obama can just walk out of the White House, point at Palin and go "Thats your alternative" then go and play Playstation for the rest of the election process and still win.

Obama won because the central bankers wanted him to win...look how much new money was printed (at 2% interest to the federal reserve) since he's been in office.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The real problem with the system is that to become President you have to endure an incredible amount of scrutiny, live in the spotlight, and not have any skeletons in your closet.

Very few people are up for that.

The most we can hope for is that the President will appoint good solid advisors and be able to listen to and understand them.

The real problem lies with the legislative branch since that's where the real power is anyway. Not saying that the president is merely a figurehead, just that most of the real nuts and bolts of running the country happens in the house and senate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArteestX

Godless with Goodness
Jul 9, 2009
✟10,093.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought some of the McCain people were saying that although he lost with Palin he would have lost even worse without her.

If that is the case, then it was a good decision as he did the best he could have done.

I am no fan of Palin and thought she would be a horrible VP. But I think she did help reinvigorate McCain's campaign that was already having trouble gaining traction. 8 years of Bush had so damaged the Republican brand that McCain had many marks against him. Lieberman would have been a more natural fit for VP, but the conservatives would not have turned out at the booth or in the campaign. For Palin, so many people helped in the campaign that wouldn't have otherwise done so. She was ultimately a boost to McCain, I think, no matter how bad she might have been as VP. It was the best shot he had.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The real problem lies with the legislative branch since that's where the real power is anyway. Not saying that the president is merely a figurehead, just that most of the real nuts and bolts of running the country happens in the house and senate.

The same problem exists there...there are people who want to hold office, and people competent to do things....

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I am no fan of Palin and thought she would be a horrible VP. But I think she did help reinvigorate McCain's campaign that was already having trouble gaining traction. 8 years of Bush had so damaged the Republican brand that McCain had many marks against him. Lieberman would have been a more natural fit for VP, but the conservatives would not have turned out at the booth or in the campaign. For Palin, so many people helped in the campaign that wouldn't have otherwise done so. She was ultimately a boost to McCain, I think, no matter how bad she might have been as VP. It was the best shot he had.

So Palin was a boost to McCain supporters, but a liability with the rest of the country.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Find it hard to believe people still cry to crucify her as some kind of moon bat.

Yeah. Gee...I can't understand why people condemn a person who had to be taught the difference between North and South Korea and World Wars I and II.

Poor persecuted Palin.
Ringo

Upvote 0