• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured LDS Matthew 22 & Eternal Marriage

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Solomon Smith, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    Telling someone that they can't use their own materials to define their own beliefs is, functionally, the same as saying that you're not up to an actual debate as you can't handle any terms but your own.

It'd be like me telling you do define and defend your beliefs without referencing the New Testament.

2. Solomon Smith

Solomon Smith Active Member

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    If you want to site LDS sources concerning your doctrine of Eternal Marriage go right ahead. I merely stated that I was not going to post any sources. Most people have a basic understanding of the doctrine so I see no necessity for posting the material. But if you want to then have at it.

3. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    LDS - Matthew 22 & Eternal Marriage -> Post #51

I'll take your apology now.

4. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Not what Jesus said.

5. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
  6. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    Did you read what was presented *at* the link?

7. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    Misrepresentation.

I gave you an answer and yet you declared I hadn't.

8. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    I think the poster saw enough.

9. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Jesus clearly stated that people will not be married in the resurrection in Matthew 22. Your verbal gymnastics don’t provide a pathway around his word. It a heresy to state otherwise to what Jesus has spoken on the issue.

10. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    I edited my post after I saw post 51. I think you better go back and double check what you have quoted. I owe you no apology.

11. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Not what Jesus taught.

12. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Yes I did and it’s contrary to the clear teaching of Christ.

13. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,277
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    There is no way the Mormons can win this one. As with so many other things, the scriptures and all of the Church since day one have been clear on this issue. There is no marriage in heaven, and certainly no celestial polygamy, as Mormons have been sold on by their leaders even after the abolition of polygamy in their religion. Jeff Lindsay is no apostle of Christ, but a worker of iniquity trying to justify the unjustifiable.

14. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Who is Jeff Lindsay?

15. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,035
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  16. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,277
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    A frequent "liar for the Lord" favored by the poster Ironhold. He is the man behind the "Mormon Answers" link given on the previous page.

17. Solomon Smith

+210
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Oh I see. Thank you!

18. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,035
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    LDS stands for Latter-day Saints. They are usually called Mormons by non-LDS. They belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their new prophet told them to stop using the nickname "Mormon."

19. Ripheus27

Ripheus27 Holeless fox

+66
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    The defense,* "No one will get married in heaven, but if they got married before then that will still be in place," is correct, though, as Christ says:

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

"Marry" and "given in marriage" correspond to "get," here, as far as I can tell. ("Given in marriage" is for woman who were sold into marriage, basically, unless I'm misunderstanding the point of the word "given" in this.)

*EDIT: The technical defense, that is, that there is no absolute logical contradiction between what Jesus said and what the LDS Church teaches. Whether the classical Church tends to be as "romantic" about love, as the modern LDS one does, is a different issue.

20. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,161
    Mormon
    Single
    Thank you for attempting to understand instead of mocking or belittling.