Mattell makes Wiccan Barbie - Is this right?

Brother Christman

Constitution Party->11.04
Jun 26, 2003
TX, USA
Visit site
✟15,914.00
Faith
Baptist
My primary beef with Barney is his annoying voice. Granted, his purple color feels a little gender-neutral creepy, but that bothers me only marginally in comparison to his Goofy-wanna-be speaking tones.

Watch the flaming and personal attacks, all right? [noflame] Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother Christman said:
Another follow-up might be "where are the Christian alternative toys to Barbie, Barney, Teletubbies, et cetera?" Many secular folk are hip to the fact that it's always "better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Waiting indignantly for non-Christ-centered corporations to show God-fearing morality is like watching for flowers to spring from hot tar.

Where are the Christian toy-makers?

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
sweetkitty said:
I think you need to tone it down a bit Lillith. All he said is there should be alternitive toys offered to Christians other than Barney or Barbie, he never claimed that there was anything satanic about Barney.
Personally I am glad that my boys are too old for any of the **** they offer as "toys" these days:)
:cry: Oh yes, I end my days with: What would Sweetkitty want me to do? :bow: Not in this lifetime.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Brother Christman said:
My primary beef with Barney is his annoying voice. Granted, his purple color feels a little gender-neutral creepy, but that bothers me only marginally in comparison to his Goofy-wanna-be speaking tones.

Watch the flaming and personal attacks, all right?

:cry:

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
SqueezetheShaman said:
Amen sister. BTW there are christian toys but they suck. Anyone hear of Godman? or something like that..

There are christian video games that are actually quite good apparently. We watch that video game channel quite a bit in my house and they had a show on them recently. those of you christian parents who aren't happy with many of the games out there, check em out.

edit..bible man, not god man...that old 80s hearthrob willie ames promotes it.
Christian toys probably resemble christian computer games... they shouldn't exist. And this is coming from a christian. Most of it is an insult to my faith. At least the secular stuff doesn't pretend.

Upvote 0

Haethurn

Jul 2, 2003
West Virginia
✟353.00
Faith
Christian
Zoe said:
I find it very sad that the majority of Christians find nothing wrong with this Barbie. I saw the commercial for this doll and I was appalled. Why is it so hard to believe that this doll can spark an interest in witchcraft??? People need to wake up and realize that this sort of thing is serious. Do you honestly think Jesus would approve of this? Come on.
Jesus wouldn't want us to do anything about it because he knows that human beings are flawed and can't solve "problems" like this without causing further problems.

Upvote 0

Haethurn

Jul 2, 2003
West Virginia
✟353.00
Faith
Christian
MrsMom said:
Go ahead and laugh, but if you believe that "role play" does not affect or influence our children, you are sticking your head in the sand. I can control what my own child does at home, but I can't watch them 24/7 - what's to stop her from going to a friends house and "acting out" their "secret spells"? And, since it is secret, the parents need never know, right?

Plant a seed, nurture it, and it will grow. Flower or weed, it matters not - it will still grow. What kind of seeds are we planting?
It looks like we have another follower of Socrates. We must censor the poets so that their verses won't disrupt our children's conditioning. It is crucial if we are to breed the perfect soldier for our Republic, that we must not let the children hear anything contrary to what we would like them to hear. We must mold these young minds. The future of our Republic depends on it!

The Wiccan barbie doll would set their conditioning back by several months! Think of all of that time we'd waste!

You know also that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken.
Quite True.
And shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up?
We can not.
Then the first thing will be to establish a censorship of the writers of fiction, and let the censors receive any tale of fiction which is good, and reject the bad; and we will desire mothers and nurses to tell their children the authorized ones only. Let them fashion the mind with such tales, even more fondly than they mould the body with their hands; but most of those which are now in use must be discarded.

Such then, I said, are our principles of theology-some tales are to be told, and others are not to be told to our disciples from their youth upwards, if we mean them to honor the gods and their parents, and to value friendship with one another.
Yes; and I think that our principles are right, he said.
But if they are to be courageous, must they not learn other lessons besides these, and lessons of such a kind as will take away the fear of death? Can any man be courageous who has the fear of death in him?
Certainly not, he said.
And can he be fearless of death, or will he choose death in battle rather than defeat and slavery, who believes the world below to be real and terrible?
Impossible.

Then we must assume a control over the narrators of this class of tales as well as over the others, and beg them not simply to revile, but rather to commend the world below, intimating to them that their descriptions are untrue, and will do harm to our future warriors.
That will be our duty, he said.
Then, I said, we shall have to obliterate many obnoxious passages, beginning with the verses,

"I would rather be a serf on the land of a poor and portionless man than rule over all the dead who have come to nought."

And shall we proceed to get rid of the weepings and wailings of famous men?
They will go with the rest.

Neither ought our guardians to be given to laughter. For a fit of laughter which has been indulged to excess almost always produces a violent reaction.
So I believe.

Then if any one at all is to have the privilege of lying, the rulers of the State should be the persons; and they, in their dealings either with enemies or with their own citizens, may be allowed to lie for the public good. But nobody else should meddle with anything of the kind; and although the rulers have this privilege, for a private man to lie to them in return is to be deemed a more heinous fault than for the patient or the pupil of a gymnasium not to speak the truth about his own bodily illnesses to the physician or to the trainer, or for a sailor not to tell the captain what is happening about the ship and the rest of the crew, and how things are going with himself or his fellow sailors.
Most true, he said.
If, then, the ruler catches anybody beside himself lying in the State,

"Any of the craftsmen, whether he be priest or physician or carpenter."

he will punish him for introducing a practice which is equally subversive and destructive of ship or State.

-Plato's The Republic-INSPIRATION FOR HITLER.

If you want to be a good parent, you would do well to foster INDIVIDUALITY in your child, instead of molding her in your own image.

Upvote 0

STARRDUST1480

Apr 26, 2006
✟15,112.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm sorry I just can't believe that you guys are so insulted by the fact that people have different cultures. I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything. It's just that Wicca promotes accepting other people for their beliefs, but yet you can't find in yourselves to do the same. You should try learn a little bit about Wicca before your start judging. But it's things like this that make the younger generations steer away from christianity. I don't think it's a bad idea to have little girls learning something other than the norm. Wicca is all about doing good for other people. There is nothing evil about it. I like to see that Wicca is finally making it into the mainstream.

Not trying to get you riled up just trying to get you to think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
MrsMom said:
Of course I wouldn't buy these for my child. But I think I need to make clear, we are talking about two different dolls. The doll I'm questioning is actually made by Mattel. I'm sure Mattel can't control these deviants and their "knockoffs" of Barbie that you mention. But they sure as cornflakes can control what they create themselves! I won't see the knockoffs at the toystore, but "Secret Spells Barbie" is right there in the store next to all the other Barbies!

I'm sure the Harry Potter bandwagon is enticing but I'm disappointed in this. Morality out the window - it's all about making the buck.

I don't see those who make Barbie parodies as deviants. I see them as taking a silly doll that has become and icon and making some interesting (and funny) statements about it.

I don't see anything really immoral here (except perhaps that they sell products for children made by children in awful conditions: http://www.just-style.com/article.aspx?art=37751&type=1 , warning, PDF file and long)

Little kids use their imagination, and this an important part of a child's development. Parents often use this to their advantage. The secret life of the Tooth Fairy, anyone?

I'm not a huge fan of Barbie...but making some silly "magical" doll isn't high up on the "reasons I dislike Barbie dolls for young kids" list.

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
STARRDUST1480 said:
OPEN MINDED

OfficeBoss said:
Does the zealotry and mindless fear ever stop?
Speaking of open mindedness and mindlessness, you do know you've re-opened a thread that's nearly three years old, doncha? This isn't news or current events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't get why people think they have to "do" anything about stuff they disagree with.

If you don't like something, then don't get involved with it, end of story. It saves you, other people, and the government lots of time and money.

Upvote 0
O

OfficeBoss

I <3 Abraham said:
I've been very surprised since starting posting at CF at the number of people who believe that magic is real. IME most of these people think that it is dangerous and evil, I dont get it.

Im not really suprised. Religious people believe in magic and the supernatural by default pretty much.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
OfficeBoss said:
Im not really suprised. Religious people believe in magic and the supernatural by default pretty much.

Not really...All but one of my friends in neurobiology PhD programs are religious.

On the Christian tip, Paul Tillich and Spong dude.

Upvote 0