Mattell makes Wiccan Barbie - Is this right?

Hi, Everyone!

It has been brought to my attention that there is a new "Secret Spells" (Wiccan) Barbie that teaches young impressionable girls how to mix potions and cast spells. Mattel promotes this Barbie by putting words like "Barbie Hides Magic Supplies in a trick school book" on the box and "No one suspects that this ordinary school girl is actually one of the Secret Spells girls!". The box goes on to say "It's a night of white magic and spells for the Secret Spells trio" (there are three dolls). I saw a commercial for this Barbie and it featured three little girls mixing potions in a cauldron at night. Since when does Barbie promote witchcraft?!?!?!?!?! I'm outraged! Someone ought to do something about this.

-MrsMom

I can't make a link (I haven't posted before today, been lurking a while) but if you do a search on Google on "Secret Spells Barbie" you will get a picture of the doll. Apparently there are already some groups complaining, and one Wiccan group praising! One online newsletter shows the picture and says "Now your daughter can learn how drawing your power from Satan is fun". I don't know what to think!

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MrsMom said:
I can't make a link (I haven't posted before today, been lurking a while) but if you do a search on Google on "Secret Spells Barbie" you will get a picture of the doll. Apparently there are already some groups complaining, and one Wiccan group praising! One online newsletter shows the picture and says "Now your daughter can learn how drawing your power from Satan is fun". I don't know what to think!

Now see the Secret Spells Barbie, is not the same thing, it came about with the surge of harry potter fans.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Inspired said:
Make sure you protest, trailer trash Barbie, and all the gay barbies too. Or better yet, if you don't want your child to play with the toy, don't buy it.
Of course I wouldn't buy these for my child. But I think I need to make clear, we are talking about two different dolls. The doll I'm questioning is actually made by Mattel. I'm sure Mattel can't control these deviants and their "knockoffs" of Barbie that you mention. But they sure as cornflakes can control what they create themselves! I won't see the knockoffs at the toystore, but "Secret Spells Barbie" is right there in the store next to all the other Barbies!

I'm sure the Harry Potter bandwagon is enticing but I'm disappointed in this. Morality out the window - it's all about making the buck.

Upvote 0

Zoot

Omnis Obstat
Sep 7, 2003
State Highway One
Visit site
✟28,710.00
Faith
Buddhist
I think the normal Barbies are dangerous enough. "Here, kids, want to be pretty? Have an unfeasibly small waste line, blonde hair, and absurdly large breasts."

Wiccan Barbie. I can imagine it now. "Press the button on Wiccan Barbie's back and she spouts Genuine Wiccan Phrases and Bad Poetry!"

Press. "Don't be so closed-minded!"

Press. "Wear your butterflies with pride!"

Press. "I am really interesting and freaky and not at all boring, as you can tell by my clothes and manner of speech! Let's go listen to Sarah McLaughlin!"

It's lucky no Wiccan Barbie actually exists. Children would end up growing up to be Wiccans! God knows I wish someone had got to my sister in time, before her toys influenced her. But, alas, she is now a My Little Pony. Fortunately, I'm now a tranforming robot, so it doesn't really bother me.

Reactions: moonkitty
Upvote 0

Inspired

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MrsMom said:
Of course I wouldn't buy these for my child. But I think I need to make clear, we are talking about two different dolls. The doll I'm questioning is actually made by Mattel. I'm sure Mattel can't control these deviants and their "knockoffs" of Barbie that you mention. But they sure as cornflakes can control what they create themselves! I won't see the knockoffs at the toystore, but "Secret Spells Barbie" is right there in the store next to all the other Barbies!

I'm sure the Harry Potter bandwagon is enticing but I'm disappointed in this. Morality out the window - it's all about making the buck.

And? It's just down the aisle from the replica of the sub-machine gun too right?

Upvote 0
Go ahead and laugh, but if you believe that "role play" does not affect or influence our children, you are sticking your head in the sand. I can control what my own child does at home, but I can't watch them 24/7 - what's to stop her from going to a friends house and "acting out" their "secret spells"? And, since it is secret, the parents need never know, right?

Plant a seed, nurture it, and it will grow. Flower or weed, it matters not - it will still grow. What kind of seeds are we planting?

Upvote 0

Inspired

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MrsMom said:
Go ahead and laugh, but if you believe that "role play" does not affect or influence our children, you are sticking your head in the sand. I can control what my own child does at home, but I can't watch them 24/7 - what's to stop her from going to a friends house and "acting out" their "secret spells"? And, since it is secret, the parents need never know, right?

Plant a seed, nurture it, and it will grow. Flower or weed, it matters not - it will still grow. What kind of seeds are we planting?

What's to stop your child? You. Do you just let your kid go somewhere without knowing the parents of the other children they are hanging out with? Mine never did.

I would rather my child be playing with a barbie, than with a gun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MrsMom said:

"acting out" the "secret spells"? Are you afraid shes going to turn someone into a toad or whatever?

Upvote 0