Mattell makes Wiccan Barbie - Is this right?

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
Good find, Notto. Here's another one:

Heartstring Angel Barbie
21414_9993_main.jpg

...poised as if to play a violin to lift your heart and soul.

Upvote 0

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
sweetkitty said:
I'd also bet that those of you defending Wiccan Barbie would be upset if a Christian Barbie was introduced.
We would hear cries of how unfair that is and how toys should be non-religious and how that other religions aren't being represented.
Wiccan has to do with Wicca.

Angels are Christian symbols.

So, yes you did make a connection between the doll and Wicca. And you were wrong, there has been no cries of how unfair it is that there are Christian Barbie dolls.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
sweetkitty said:
Ok so veggie tales a nativity set and a noah's ark.
So that adds up to 1000's???
I really think most toys are non- religious in nature. I'd also bet that those of you defending Wiccan Barbie would be upset if a Christian Barbie was introduced.
We would hear cries of how unfair that is and how toys should be non-religious and how that other religions aren't being represented.

You claimed it here, Kitty.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Sweetkitty:

You seem to be confusing the constitutional mandated separation of Church and State with private and corporate rights.

Mattel has every right to produce a Christian Barbie if it so chooses, and there ain't a darn thing any of us, or the Government, or the Church, or my dog, could do about it; save protest with our paychecks. Mattel could produce a Wiccan, or a Buddhist, or an Islamic, or even a Satanist Barbie if they wanted to. That is their right.

Mattel, or any big business for that matter, makes what sells...period. If a "Wiccan" Barbie sells and a Christian Barbie wouldn't, maybe you should be spending less time in "righteous indignation" and more time figuring out why you have so little influence on people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
hey i like dora!

hehe i want to buy those barbies, they look cool.

when my sister and i were young, we would make potions and sell em to our neighbors. we'd mix toothpaste, penut butter, ice cream. whatever we could find. We stayed away from the chemicals because we didn't want to make an "evil" potion with dangerous things hehe.

It had nothing to do with our desire to be witches or not. It was something silly and fun for us to do. We were both Christians at the time too (still are)

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plan 9 said:
You claimed it here, Kitty.
I used the term Wiccan Barbie because that is the Barbie that is being discussed on this forum..not from any belief that the Barbie is a true representation of Wiccan beliefs.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Havoc said:
Sweetkitty:

You seem to be confusing the constitutional mandated separation of Church and State with private and corporate rights.

Mattel has every right to produce a Christian Barbie if it so chooses, and there ain't a darn thing any of us, or the Government, or the Church, or my dog, could do about it; save protest with our paychecks. Mattel could produce a Wiccan, or a Buddhist, or an Islamic, or even a Satanist Barbie if they wanted to. That is their right.

Mattel, or any big business for that matter, makes what sells...period. If a "Wiccan" Barbie sells and a Christian Barbie wouldn't, maybe you should be spending less time in "righteous indignation" and more time figuring out why you have so little influence on people?
I have expressed no "righteous indigination"
I have also never claimed that Mattel can't produce any Barbie that they wish to produce and sell if they think it is a profitable endeavor.
Now perhaps you can explain why your post seems to be more of a personal attack than an actual representation of my opinion on the subject?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
sweetkitty said:
I have expressed no "righteous indigination"
I have also never claimed that Mattel can't produce any Barbie that they wish to produce and sell if they think it is a profitable endeavor.
Now perhaps you can explain why your post seems to be more of a personal attack than an actual representation of my opinion on the subject?
I look back to this post of yours....

sweetkitty said:
I'd also bet that those of you defending Wiccan Barbie would be upset if a Christian Barbie was introduced.
The whole concept of equal representation and and having public institutions maintain a sectarian, non-religious policy is part and parcel of the separation of church and state that some people seem to have difficulty with.

That sort of arguement simply cannot be applied in this case, and thus far no non-Christian poster has tried to. For you to intimate that we would is fallacious and rather ingenuine. The only arguement of that particular sort in this thread has been done by some Christians.

And my point is a valid one. Rather than dripping and moaning about how society is leaving "Christian" principles and adopting Pagan, or secular, or humanist, or whatever principles, maybe you should be asking yourself why Christians are having so little impact on people and we are having so much. If Christian witness was such that it made Christianty appear to be the best choice and an effective solution to societies problems then there'd be more Christian Barbies, and no "Wiccan" ones. If Christianity fails to provide an answer, people will look... and buy... elsewhere.

Upvote 0

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Zoe said:
I find it very sad that the majority of Christians find nothing wrong with this Barbie. I saw the commercial for this doll and I was appalled. Why is it so hard to believe that this doll can spark an interest in witchcraft??? People need to wake up and realize that this sort of thing is serious. Do you honestly think Jesus would approve of this? Come on.
I think its funny that people are still fighting over barbies!

Seriously, though - whats so bad about this Barbie? There have been tons of contriversial ones in the past. Why don't I care one way or another about this paticular Barbie? Because I wrote Barbie off a long time ago for what it stands for.

Why turn a blind eye on the past history and then spit about this one?

Still, for those that don't mind the Barbies, good for them, too. Things can strike a cord in some but not others. Why on earth would you expect everyone to believe exactly as you do?

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Havoc said:
I look back to this post of yours....

The whole concept of equal representation and and having public institutions maintain a sectarian, non-religious policy is part and parcel of the separation of church and state that some people seem to have difficulty with.

That sort of arguement simply cannot be applied in this case, and thus far no non-Christian poster has tried to. For you to intimate that we would is fallacious and rather ingenuine. The only arguement of that particular sort in this thread has been done by some Christians.

And my point is a valid one. Rather than dripping and moaning about how society is leaving "Christian" principles and adopting Pagan, or secular, or humanist, or whatever principles, maybe you should be asking yourself why Christians are having so little impact on people and we are having so much. If Christian witness was such that it made Christianty appear to be the best choice and an effective solution to societies problems then there'd be more Christian Barbies, and no "Wiccan" ones. If Christianity fails to provide an answer, people will look... and buy... elsewhere.

To answer your question..Christianity is not failing and is not to blame for people turning to secular things but rather the work of Satan. That is His job you realize? To lure people away from the Truth and away from God.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Oh yes I forgot the whole "truth" thing ROFLMAO.

Bottom line is that if it's your job to preach the Gospel maybe if you were more effective you wouldn't have so much time to complain about "Wiccan" barbies becuase Mattel wouldn't see a market for them.

If people are turning to secular things is that not, in and of itself, a failure of Christianity? If Christianity is succeeding we shouldn't even need to be having this conversation. If it's your Job to go into all the world and preach the gospel, baptising them in the name... and you're losing ground, I'd call that a failure.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
The funny thing is that most of the people involved with designing, marketing, producing, manufacturing, and purchasing this Barbie are most likely Christians and didn't think twice about this doll in anyway being anything related to the 'evil' its made out to be here and would probably LOL at the strange accusations and arguments here.

Upvote 0