Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about these masks but it is possible that the filter has multiple layers that have increasingly smaller "holes" or passages that in the final layer stop virus particles while the outer layers may be more about absorbing fluids
A filter can certainly be made that way, but these face masks aren't.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
A filter can certainly be made that way, but these face masks aren't.
I wouldn't know for sure myself without seeing one. I wonder how much a "good" mask costs these days that is disposable and washable ones that are decent as there are a lot of people spending a lot of money on masks that may not do a lot because they are forced to comply with demands of people who could care less about how good their masks are.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say
Though I had read research that masks do help the wearer, many still insist that masks only help one not infect others. Like many things with COVID this is a myth.

"We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] not only wearing a mask prevents the person wearing the mask to transmit to others, but wearing the mask protects the person who's wearing it," said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital."

You do realize that, unless you take extreme measures to isolate yourself for the rest of your life, you're gonna get COVID. All of this is not about protecting people so they never get it. It's about slowing the spread so the medical system isn't overwhelmed. So there's more time to develop a vaccine, better treatments, etc.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It has zero to do with the folks at news 9.....It had to do with the visible spray getting through the mask. You did see that? Yes?
This was Already addressed by Chilehed.

Again, I will take experts over News 9.

Oh, and you video shows a firefighter from Argentina Using a can of deodorant. Not exactly an expert like the doctors at the Mayo Clinic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But Romans 13 tells us that we should obey the law. If the government says to wear masks you should do so unless you are excused for a legitimate health issue. In my state the Governor has ordered that masks be worn. Furthermore Scripture tells us that we are to do unto others as we would like to have done unto ourselves. Do you want someone to give you the virus? No? Then you should be willing to take precautions so that you don’t pass it on to others.
It's against the constitution for a governor to order you to wear a mask.

however it is not against the law for a store owner to require you to wear one if you want to come into their store.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Unfortunately, not in all cases. Governor's do have emergency powers that allow them to order such things. I don't like wearing a mask, but I do.

The powers are limited. The governor of my state just lost a law suit because his emergency powers have run out. He was trying to extend some of his restrictions, but can't.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

however it is not against the law for a store owner to require you to wear one if you want to come into their store.
Please show me exactly where the Constitution says this.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You did see the video? If that were a sneeze cloud containing C19..would you slap on a mask and feel safe walking through the cloud?
Then address Chilehed’s comments.

The video shows a firefighter from Argentina using a can of spray deodorant. Not an expert like the doctors at the Mayo Clinic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the mask rules went into effect I went to my garage and found the box of masks I used when I was doing some drywall sanding...got them from Lowes.

Yesterday while at an appointment they had surgical style masks available...so I used one knowing it'll be a bit more comfortable.

Wearing the mask I noticed with each exhale my glasses would fog up then clear with each inhale.

That's a crystal clear indication that my exhale was entering the room and my inhale was breathing in the unfiltered air from the room.

How many out there have experienced that?
yep, if I wear a mask tight enough to cover my nose, my glasses fog up. So, how is anything coming out of my mouth being stopped by the mask? I just wear one loosely where it's required. Half the people who have them on don't have their noses covered either, so I figure why cover my beautiful snout?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
yep, if I wear a mask tight enough to cover my nose, my glasses fog up. So, how is anything coming out of my mouth being stopped by the mask? I just wear one loosely where it's required. Half the people who have them on don't have their noses covered either, so I figure why cover my beautiful snout?
So you don’t care if you infect others?

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love how everyone has an opinion and pretty much all do not work in the field. I do. A standard surgical mask won't do very much at all in close proximity, and the N-95 variants must be form fitted to work properly.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
COVID aside, there's a never ending plethora of viruses and germs that I actually WANT to be exposed to. We do need to get ill from time to time. When I lived and worked on a dairy farm I was exposed to much worse and came out of it a lot stronger.

Just playing the devil's advocate here - and NO I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I'm well aware of how ignorant I am. But THAT aside, do I have a point? We could all get the common cold in a few years and be walloped for six. (I don't claim to understand the immune system either, I'm just thinking out loud.)
The mask does not prevent you from being exposed to the virus, there are plenty of studies showing that a contagious person will still fill the air with the virus even with a mask on. However, the viral load will be less, and if you are wearing a mask the viral load that you breathe in will also be less. Therefore, what we are really seeing is that we still have a very high transmission rate, but the numbers that need hospitalization are way down and the numbers that die are way down (NY)

When you wear a mask you tend not to talk unless you have to, that also decreases the amount of the virus a contagious person will spread.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless you can provide data that shows this to be true, I'll rely on my engineering experinece (and feedback from every filtration engineer I know) which tells me that it's absolute, complete and total nonsense.
NY and the EU have both had very good success. Look at Taiwan, probably the only country to come this far unscathed. Look at China. There are about 400 million people all in all that have shown how to bring the virus under control.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@-57 Hmm...I think the Bar Association and other experts know what they are talking about.

Many nay-sayers of mandatory face mask orders will claim that it is their “Constitutional right” to choose to not wear a mask, but is this valid? Experts say no.

According to a report by Poynter, the power to make and enforce rules during a pandemic comes down more so to state governors to enact policy to keep residents safe.

Poynter spoke with John Dinan, a Wake Forest University professor of politics and a leading national expert on federalism, who outlined that “state governments actually possess more power than the federal government in responding to a health crisis. State governments can issue shelter-in-place orders and close or open businesses and schools – powers that can only be exercised by state and not federal officials.”

So with this local power comes a larger responsibility for localized mitigation tactics specialized to fight disease based on the need of a specific state or community.

Along those lines, the American Bar Association explained that “under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions. The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, allows them the authority to take public health emergency actions, such as setting quarantines and business restrictions.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NY and the EU have both had very good success. Look at Taiwan, probably the only country to come this far unscathed. Look at China. There are about 400 million people all in all that have shown how to bring the virus under control.
Yes: masks work. It doesn't matter whether you have the blue side out or the white side out, they work the same either way.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still want to know what percentage of people that test sick have been wearing masks. I would bet that nobody would want to do a study on that because it could ruin the narrative.
It is easy to infer. NY has been in lockdown with masks required for months along with social distancing and other measures, they have shown a tremendous decrease from the peak.

Florida, Tulsa, Az, Tx, are all examples of States that didn't have to wear masks, didn't have to shut down, didn't have to have social distancing, and they are all spiking.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I still want to know what percentage of people that test sick have been wearing masks. I would bet that nobody would want to do a study on that because it could ruin the narrative.
lol, and I'll bet those studies were done a long time ago in countries like South Korea and Japan.

Upvote 0