✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say
Though I had read research that masks do help the wearer, many still insist that masks only help one not infect others. Like many things with COVID this is a myth.

"We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] not only wearing a mask prevents the person wearing the mask to transmit to others, but wearing the mask protects the person who's wearing it," said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital."

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And everyone should wear a mask when they are out among others. I don’t understand why some refuse to do so. If they don’t want to wear one to protect themselves, they should at least wear one to protect others.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems the publicly accepted authorities have all along said to wash your hands and not touch your face with your hands. So, if you have a mask on while you do not have clean hands, the mask can help you to not touch your face.

Also, in case you are too close to someone who is talking to you, there are people who can spread tiny drops of spit while they talk. I have had someone's spit land on my lip while the person was talking in front of me. So, a mask could help keep someone from spitting or coughing on you.

So, in my opinion, you could figure this out, without research statistics.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I mostly wear a mask and behave myself because it seems somewhat ok to do so and it doesn't stress me out to do it. Do I actually believe it is a necessary thing? Not so much, but I go along. I just don't have any trust in any of this self-perpetuating propaganda anymore. Next week will be the opposite story.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
COVID aside, there's a never ending plethora of viruses and germs that I actually WANT to be exposed to. We do need to get ill from time to time. When I lived and worked on a dairy farm I was exposed to much worse and came out of it a lot stronger.

Just playing the devil's advocate here - and NO I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I'm well aware of how ignorant I am. But THAT aside, do I have a point? We could all get the common cold in a few years and be walloped for six. (I don't claim to understand the immune system either, I'm just thinking out loud.)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t understand
My opinion is each of us is different; so our reasons for doing the same thing can be different.

One person fears the government is conspiring to control us, by training us to do things like wearing masks so we will get broken in to being controlled by the government. But this can mean the person is under the power of fearing masks and human government. So, the person is being controlled, after all . . . by desire for control and by fear of losing control.

Another simply has not been submissive to God, but has been doing one's own thing. And so, the person is not capable of following directions which are not directly connected with getting what he or she wants.

And maybe there are people who simply think people have to see their faces.

And there are ones who do not believe the government knows what it is doing, and masks are not needed. Maybe they believe the real spreading is by people who are doing immoral things . . . in hotel rooms during conferences, with other church members, with prostitutes, committing adultery, and by means of other multi-partner activities . . . and so these won't tell investigators what's really going on.

And there are people who believe agents are spreading the virus, for whatever conspiracy reason each agent might have. Of course, there would be agents from China, agents of the U.S. government, terrorist religious agents who want women to cover their faces. And I am sure there could be others with other motives.

Oh yes, and there could be political reasons.

But the mask we shouldn't wear is how we hide anything that is wrong with our personality, and try to fool people with our fake-up. Instead, God is able to change our character so we don't have anything to hide. And learn how to love.

There are people who don't wear masks, but they still are covering up how they have problems which keep them from being able to love in a close relationship. I know people, I think, who insist that masks are a hoax, but they can not share personally with other people > they have been isolated from Christian people, all this time, when they could have been fellowshipping.

So, this mask thing might be bringing out how each of us really is, not how anyone else is :)

It's what you make it,
how you take it . . .
just don't you fake it!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We could all get the common cold in a few years and be walloped for six.
Ones consider that children don't get in major trouble because of COVID-19 because they have had so many colds, and their antibodies can connect with the coronavirus because the coronavirus is a relative of the cold viruses.

And I read that native Americans could be killed by a common cold, because their systems had no experience with colds.

So . . . I would say you have something to consider.

Even so . . . ones claim the restrictions are intended to keep the thing from taking off so much that they can't handle all the medical demand that they would have. They want to make sure they have enough care rooms and ventilators. And maybe get a vaccine to help develop herd immunity.

And it seems we have people who basically can not become strong enough; so if they get it, they're dead. So, if we don't get it, possibly this can help to keep it from spreading to ones it would kill.

So, yes we could let it go loose and ones could get a stronger population, but that could be after the weak ones have been killed.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And everyone should wear a mask when they are out among others. I don’t understand why some refuse to do so. If they don’t want to wear one to protect themselves, they should at least wear one to protect others.

Some of us have sleep apnea, and have to wear a mask all night long, every night.

How effective are surgical masks?

Why were masks not worn last year during Flu season?

Will people now be expected to wear a mask for the rest of human history?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say
Though I had read research that masks do help the wearer, many still insist that masks only help one not infect others. Like many things with COVID this is a myth.

"We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] not only wearing a mask prevents the person wearing the mask to transmit to others, but wearing the mask protects the person who's wearing it," said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital."

When the mask rules went into effect I went to my garage and found the box of masks I used when I was doing some drywall sanding...got them from Lowes.

Yesterday while at an appointment they had surgical style masks available...so I used one knowing it'll be a bit more comfortable.

Wearing the mask I noticed with each exhale my glasses would fog up then clear with each inhale.

That's a crystal clear indication that my exhale was entering the room and my inhale was breathing in the unfiltered air from the room.

How many out there have experienced that?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If mask are so wonderful...why did the virus spread in Asia? From what I hear they wear them outside all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems the publicly accepted authorities have all along said to wash your hands and not touch your face with your hands. So, if you have a mask on while you do not have clean hands, the mask can help you to not touch your face.

Also, in case you are too close to someone who is talking to you, there are people who can spread tiny drops of spit while they talk. I have had someone's spit land on my lip while the person was talking in front of me. So, a mask could help keep someone from spitting or coughing on you.

So, in my opinion, you could figure this out, without research statistics.

Masks give people a false sense of security...hey, I can go there, I'm wearing a mask.

Perhaps a mask will stop a loogie from hitting you lips....but how about the virus cloud you're standing in??? Do you really think you're not inhaling the virus?

Of course it can't get in...you're wearing mask.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If mask are so wonderful...why did the virus spread in Asia? From what I hear they wear them outside all the time.
I agree. The Chinese always were quick to don the mask.

That hasn't stopped every cold, flu, SARS, etc. from originating there and infecting the world, though.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a false sense of security
good point

So, we should not let ourselves have a false sense of security, then.

But the airborne virus thing is said to be mainly a problem in closed spaces for extended periods of time. I understand that ones consider the time could be about ten minutes or longer . . . and the threat would be worse if you are with an actually sick person, like in a hospital room.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
good point

So, we should not let ourselves have a false sense of security, then.

But the airborne virus thing is said to be mainly a problem in closed spaces for extended periods of time. I understand that ones consider the time could be about ten minutes or longer . . . and the threat would be worse if you are with an actually sick person, like in a hospital room.
We understand that the virus spreads..and you mentioned some of the ways. Common sense should apply. Stay out of tight spaces with a bunch of people in it...but the thought often becomes..I'm OK, I'm wearing mask.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My opinion is each of us is different; so our reasons for doing the same thing can be different.

One person fears the government is conspiring to control us, by training us to do things like wearing masks so we will get broken in to being controlled by the government. But this can mean the person is under the power of fearing masks and human government. So, the person is being controlled, after all . . . by desire for control and by fear of losing control.

Another simply has not been submissive to God, but has been doing one's own thing. And so, the person is not capable of following directions which are not directly connected with getting what he or she wants.

And maybe there are people who simply think people have to see their faces.

And there are ones who do not believe the government knows what it is doing, and masks are not needed. Maybe they believe the real spreading is by people who are doing immoral things . . . in hotel rooms during conferences, with other church members, with prostitutes, committing adultery, and by means of other multi-partner activities . . . and so these won't tell investigators what's really going on.

And there are people who believe agents are spreading the virus, for whatever conspiracy reason each agent might have. Of course, there would be agents from China, agents of the U.S. government, terrorist religious agents who want women to cover their faces. And I am sure there could be others with other motives.

Oh yes, and there could be political reasons.

But the mask we shouldn't wear is how we hide anything that is wrong with our personality, and try to fool people with our fake-up. Instead, God is able to change our character so we don't have anything to hide. And learn how to love.

There are people who don't wear masks, but they still are covering up how they have problems which keep them from being able to love in a close relationship. I know people, I think, who insist that masks are a hoax, but they can not share personally with other people > they have been isolated from Christian people, all this time, when they could have been fellowshipping.

So, this mask thing might be bringing out how each of us really is, not how anyone else is :)

It's what you make it,
how you take it . . .
just don't you fake it!

Ah yes, I think people need to see my face so I won't wear a mask. So what if I have the virus and pass it on to others. The only person I care about is myself.

Aren't Christians 1) supposed to do unto others as they would like to have done unto themselves and 2) submit themselves to the governing authorities.

Now, I understand that some people have valid medical reasons for not wearing masks (asthma for example); that is a small number; I'm not talking about them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some of us have sleep apnea, and have to wear a mask all night long, every night.

How effective are surgical masks?

Why were masks not worn last year during Flu season?

Will people now be expected to wear a mask for the rest of human history?

In my state the governor has issued an order requiring masks. Christians are to submit to the governing authorities.

If someone has asthma or COPD and cannot wear a mask that is one thing. But if you are saying that you have to wear a mask all night so you won't wear one during the day, so what if you you have the virus and infect others. You really think that's ok?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That link was basically an opinion. There was no science. They didn't even mention the protection factors of the mask.

Did you watch the video in post 8?
Mayo Clinic vs. News 9. I'll stick with the experts at the Mayo Clinic.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Masks aren't to stop the virus from the start people were not saying they stop it the talk was to slow the spread to a manageable (by hospitals) amount. We have lately the same people that talked about slowing the spread and flattening the curve to now proclaiming the SAME methods used to slow the virus is now supposed to miraculously gotten better for no logical reason (a miracle?) and now we are told it STOPS the virus and makes people SAFE?
If a mask is so effective why do they REQUIRE distancing ALSO..... there is no EITHER/OR for masks and distancing in their requirements it is BOTH so we know logically a mask reduces but does not STOP the spread and social distancing may or may not be totally effective alone.
The medical "experts" must think that an N95 mask is more effective vs the virus otherwise they would allow the hospital employees to use any old cloth mask that they have no problems with the general public wearing to protect them and by not speaking out about cheap mask effectiveness they are by default saying these crappy masks and distancing will STOP the virus and make people SAFE.... I say HOGWASH!!! We know that they don't well enough. I doubt N95 masks AND distancing will totally STOP the virus and even with distancing nobody is SAFE from it like the so called "experts" say. 65% effective.... really? not that great IMO. I am glad that statistics don't tell us this virus it a lot more deadly as that is poor defense if death is on the line when N95 masks are supposed to be something like 90% effective? If it is so important to STOP the virus and make people SAFE as all these talking heads they would try and supply people with better masks instead of letting them use a dish rag with 2 rubber bands stapled to them or something about the same quality.

Reactions: -57
Upvote 0